2024 NCAA Tournament Thread

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You'd celebrate too if you knew you were getting the ball back in that situation.

It wasn't a clean screen. The question is, at what point do you swallow the whistle? Do you ignore the offensive fould if it frees a game winning shot? Do you ignore a defender blocking a potential shot but clearly fouling with the body?

The officiating was not great, all around. It's a ****** way for the game to end. Then again letting the players decide and allowing them to foul in those situations is ****** too.

Neither team would be South Carolina with that performance. The Gamecocks would have embarrassed the Hawkeyes with the amount of lazy passes Clark gave up, and the wide open looks she gave up by lazy defense.

It’s an interesting debate about what refs SHOULD do in that situation.

It’s not really a debate of if they typically call that iffy screen with four seconds left, they usually do not.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
You'd celebrate too if you knew you were getting the ball back in that situation.

It wasn't a clean screen. The question is, at what point do you swallow the whistle? Do you ignore the offensive fould if it frees a game winning shot? Do you ignore a defender blocking a potential shot but clearly fouling with the body?

The officiating was not great, all around. It's a ****** way for the game to end. Then again letting the players decide and allowing them to foul in those situations is ****** too.

Neither team would be South Carolina with that performance. The Gamecocks would have embarrassed the Hawkeyes with the amount of lazy passes Clark gave up, and the wide open looks she gave up by lazy defense.
No doubt, I’m saying that she was celebrating right at the whistle before any call was made.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
I’m saying probably not if they SC had the same absurd win % as UCONN In wbb.

I genuinely don’t know. Has South Carolina dominated for decades like UConn or is it just 2-3 years and they sucked five years ago?
The question wasn’t directed at you. It was specifically asked to a poster that said they would never cheer for LSU or U Conn.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

It’s the live (but tiny) and zoomed in tweet that show it is an illegal screen. The zoomed in replay they showed you can’t see her extend arm and you can’t see her leg at all, it really does look like nothing from that view. I’m not sure how people caught that live, kudos if you did, the replay angle they did show looks like not much.

There is a second discussion that they often let that go. I probably agree with you they shouldn’t, but they usually do.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Bingo. I didn’t like the call, but that makes it VERY clear it was a foul. UConn had a ton of chances tonight and just lost. How many bricks did they throw up in the fourth? They showed impatience and their shooting was abysmal.

Iowa had a lot of layups roll off the rim in first half too, it could have been easily tied at half. Second half flipped and UConn missed some at point blank.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
It’s the live (but tiny) and zoomed in tweet that show it is an illegal screen. The zoomed in replay they showed you can’t see her extend arm and you can’t see her leg at all, it really does look like nothing from that view. I’m not sure how people caught that live, kudos if you did, the replay angle they did show looks like not much.

There is a second discussion that they often let that go. I probably agree with you they shouldn’t, but they usually do.
The ref was much closer to the play than the viewing audience is.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The ref was much closer to the play than the viewing audience is.

In this case yes. We’ve seen blown calls in front of their nose too so I wouldn’t reliably go with that one.

I believe the TD run we had called back this year where ISU runner was a full foot in bounds was right in front of the ref and you could see it pretty clear from every angle that it was blown.

I’m saying anybody who caught it live on TV and saw her move that leg and arm…that’s impressive because it’s tiny on the 16:9 display. Then the replay cropped angle made it look like nothing, yet some of you seem to have known all along it was a textbook moving/illegal screen (or you saw it on twitter way faster than the rest of us).

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
I have seen much less blatant screens than this called all the time. And yes, I can’t speak to the rest of the game, but this is one of the most blatant moving screens I have ever seen. She continues to move her feet after setting the screen and extends her forearm.
When you say she extended her forearm are you referring to Marshall or Edwards?

Because Edwards had at least one arm at her side as Marshall was extending both of her arms as she flailed.

• Haha
Reactions: IASTATE07

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
When you say she extended her forearm are you referring to Marshall or Edwards?

Because Edwards had at least one arm at her side as Marshall was extending both of her arms as she flailed.

Very clearly Edwards left forearm.

• Haha
Reactions: fcclone

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
In this case yes. We’ve seen blown calls in front of their nose too so I wouldn’t reliably go with that one.

I believe the TD run we had called back this year where ISU runner was a full foot in bounds was right in front of the ref and you could see it pretty clear from every angle that it was blown.

I’m saying anybody who caught it live on TV and saw her move that leg and arm…that’s impressive because it’s tiny on the 16:9 display. Then the replay cropped angle made it look like nothing, yet some of you seem to have known all along it was a textbook moving/illegal screen (or you saw it on twitter way faster than the rest of us).
Yeah, refs were awful that entire game. That ref thought he saw something he didn’t.

But, there is video evidence that this was a textbook call (people can dumb my post that says that, but it doesn’t change that it is). She is moving her feet the entire time. She is never set. She did it right in front of the ref. Yeah, maybe they were inconsistent or didn’t call moving screens prior to this in the game, but I rarely see moving screens this blatant not get called at any point.

Reactions: dukeebear

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
I did not defend that calls are missed. I was stating a fact that they are missed. That doesn’t mean that it is ok.
If it is a foul, it does not matter how much time is on the clock. “You don’t call it in that situation” is the stupidest argument in sports. It’s only made because the fans didn’t get to see the ending they wanted to see. She set an illegal screen by sticking her leg out. It should be called, especially in crucial moments if she committed a foul.

Yeah, refs were awful that entire game. That ref thought he saw something he didn’t.

But, there is video evidence that this was a textbook call (people can dumb my post that says that, but it doesn’t change that it is). She is moving her feet the entire time. She is never set. She did it right in front of the ref. Yeah, maybe they were inconsistent or didn’t call moving screens prior to this in the game, but I rarely see moving screens this blatant not get called at any point.
Your last sentence says it all.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Your last sentence says it all.
Show me the moving screens where a player was moving the entire time and had her feet about 5 feet apart during tonight’s game. People are saying this happened all night and wasn’t called. So if that is the case, then I am sure there is plenty of video evidence.

Reactions: dukeebear

Stumbles

Feb 17, 2012
Cleveland Heights, OH
I guess one isn't a true Cyclone fan unless you hate all things Iowa.

Iowa women's team is annoying to watch. Their defense is non existent at times. The Ole defense where they seem to step out of the way on drives. They do these lazy guard to guard passes that have zero zip or urgency that get picked off. They are constantly trying to get the ball to Clark at all costs and then cough it up trying to force it to her. They don't box out. Clark often pouts and looks uninspired on defense after committing a turnover

Then they will look like the showtime Lakers on fast breaks. And Clark will do her best Steph Curry impression.

It won't cut it against South Carolina.

Help Support Us

Become a patron