2024 NCAA Tournament Thread

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I was just thinking this. We have a team that can get top 4 seeds.

On that note: is it going to be harder to get a top 4 seed with Texas and OU gone?

I don't believe so. While losing UT hurts from a SOS/NET win, OU was barely above us in the NET rankings. Three of the four we're adding are solid WBB schools, which will help but won't be at the same level at UT.

I believe CBF will beef up the non-conference schedule as the team gets older to challenge them in the pre-conference season. We are going to be with everyone else playing an unbalanced conference schedule, so it's not like that is going to hurt us.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
They tried this (2003-2008), and it was a massive flop. The attendance was terrible other than the host sites where the host team played, so they moved back to the sub-regionals. In 2008, we hosted at Wells Fargo at the # 7 seed.

Heck, there was a year Ames/ISU was a host, and we didn't even make the tourney.

The pre-determined 1st/2nd round sites lasted until 2014. There was a four-year stretch (2005-08) of doing 8-team sites, most of which were still at campus arenas.

The two biggest issues were (1) host teams not making the tournament, thereby tanking the attendance and (2) teams playing at home as #6-11 seeds and advancing to the Sweet 16 in part because of home-court.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I was just thinking this. We have a team that can get top 4 seeds.

On that note: is it going to be harder to get a top 4 seed with Texas and OU gone?

Maybe. Sooners won the Big 12 and got stiffed a little bit with a #5. On the other hand with Texas gone the top team in the Big 12 should host. Really need to win it or we could be a #5. A plus for us is our attendance, not super great the last few NCAA's hosting but still good. Would hopefully get that last time 6,300 (2022) up to 10,000 with Crooks and company.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
The pre-determined 1st/2nd round sites lasted until 2014. There was a four-year stretch (2005-08) of doing 8-team sites, most of which were still at campus arenas.

The two biggest issues were (1) host teams not making the tournament, thereby tanking the attendance and (2) teams playing at home as #6-11 seeds and advancing to the Sweet 16 in part because of home-court.
That's right, they went back to 16 sites, but you could still be a lower seed and host, as ISU did during that stretch.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
One difference now between today, and when they last eliminated home games for the top 16 is that there is a great deal more parity in women’s basketball today, leading to greater attention and attendance

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
Maybe. Sooners won the Big 12 and got stiffed a little bit with a #5. On the other hand with Texas gone the top team in the Big 12 should host. Really need to win it or we could be a #5. A plus for us is our attendance, not super great the last few NCAA's hosting but still good. Would hopefully get that last time 6,300 (2022) up to 10,000 with Crooks and company.
IIRC the Men's game was on at the exact same time for both of the women's games. It would help if that didn't happen again.

• Winner
Reactions: Three4Cy

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
One difference now between today, and when they last eliminated home games for the top 16 is that there is a great deal more parity in women’s basketball today, leading to greater attention and attendance

There's been so much advancement that they cut regionals from 4 sites to 2 in order to pump up attendance.

• Agree
Reactions: Three4Cy

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
We'll be playing a different tune next season where WE will be vying for hosting the opening games in Hilton. We should be looking to host the next three seasons just like Iowa has been.

Loving the hosting when Cyclones host and hating it when we don't is pretty hypocritical. Additionally, it ain't changing and we are setup to take advantage.
One can hate the current system when it works against us, love it when it works for us, and yet still want to change it to benefit the game.

Reactions: acoustimac

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
IIRC the Men's game was on at the exact same time for both of the women's games. It would help if that didn't happen again.

It's been more the norm and you can't say it's a conflict with MBB. Friday night first round that year was 5,500. Games we hosted in 2019 were 6,500 and 5,800. Solid numbers but more like actual cheeks in the seats for regular season games. Randomly going back to 2010, the Alison Lacey and Chelsea Poppen teams drew 6,500 versus Green Bay to advance to the Sweet Sixteen. MBB didn't play NCAA that year.

Again, those are good numbers, they just don't match up with what I think the general perception is (that being 10-12K for games like that).

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, this is disturbing. Big 12 newcomer Utah switched hotels after a couple of incidents of racial slurs being hurled at the team and traveling party. They were staying just across the border in Idaho, set to play in Spokane where Gonzaga was hosting. NCAA and Gonzaga helped them to change hotels. Damn.

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Well, this is disturbing. Big 12 newcomer Utah switched hotels after a couple of incidents of racial slurs being hurled at the team and traveling party. They were staying just across the border in Idaho, set to play in Spokane where Gonzaga was hosting. NCAA and Gonzaga helped them to change hotels. Damn.

Disturbing and sickening.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Saw this on another site. Seemed relevant to posts on hosting and attendance etc. Tip of the hat to DefenseBB at The Boneyard for compiling.

1711481838224.png

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Saw this on another site. Seemed relevant to posts on hosting and attendance etc. Tip of the hat to DefenseBB at The Boneyard for compiling.

View attachment 126385
South Carolina played their 1st round game on Friday at 2:00 EST, and Iowa played on Saturday afternoon. Give South Carolina a game on Saturday afternoon or even Friday night, and their attendance would be higher.

• Agree

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
There's been so much advancement that they cut regionals from 4 sites to 2 in order to pump up attendance.

I can't prove it but when went from 4 to 2 they put those sites on the coast hoping to drive attendance by being in a more populated area. I think taking the regionals out of driving distance drops out a lot of the average fans.

Wbb is still driven by fan bases and not as much for the love of the game or the event atmosphere of it as the men's tournament.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I can't prove it but when went from 4 to 2 they put those sites on the coast hoping to drive attendance by being in a more populated area. I think taking the regionals out of driving distance drops out a lot of the average fans.

It's more for television, but they won't admit it. Gotta have west coast (PT) sites no matter what.

'23: Greenville, SC and Seattle, WA
'24: Albany, NY and Portland, OR
'25: Birmingham, AL and Spokane, WA
'26: Fort Worth, TX and Sacramento, CA

The B1G and Big 12, in their current forms, are really taking it on the chin. ACC, SEC, Pac-12 got all the benefits in this round of site awards.

This freshman class won't get the chance to play a Sweet 16 in the actual Midwest until their senior year, if at all. Sites past '26 haven't been announced yet.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Maybe I should give Geno Auriemma more credit, he passed on Clark! Let me put it how I see it, accurate or not, he did not see her as a good fit with his program or its other stars (doubt he didn't see her potential and have a spot for her). There must be more to this story.

She is a great player but to blue-blood coaches a potential big disruptive distraction. I love the state of Iowa and love almost everything about the state with some exceptions. Regardless if she went to Iowa, if her demeanor were up to "honest Iowa nice" I'd be all in.

Caitlin Clark Reveals UConn's Recruitment Snub​

Geno ups the ante:

Bueckers better than Caitlin Clark

Reactions: NWICY and 4cy16

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

Sadly it describes that area of the country to a T.

Last edited:

undersized_post

Apr 18, 2021
We'll be playing a different tune next season where WE will be vying for hosting the opening games in Hilton. We should be looking to host the next three seasons just like Iowa has been.

Loving the hosting when Cyclones host and hating it when we don't is pretty hypocritical. Additionally, it ain't changing and we are setup to take advantage.
I really enjoy the top 16 hosting format. It adds additional excitement during the month of February when the committee does the top 16 reveal. Gives the teams projected in that 3-5 seed range a lot more to play for and adds intrigue to what would otherwise be "just another regular season game." Plus this format is the standard in all NCAA sports outside of MBB -- baseball, softball, volleyball, soccer, etc. Even the college football playoffs with the new expanded format will feature home games for the top teams. It's also the standard in professional sports where the team who does better in the regular season gets the home advantage in the game/series. As a viewer I enjoy seeing the variety of arenas and courts around the country, especially in conferences that I don't have as much time to watch throughout the year. It makes for a very intriguing product.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron