***2023 Tennis Thread***

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
They are going to boo him no matter what little thing he does, so might as well give it back. Medvedev has had similar experiences. And it’s usually a handful of “fans” he will get into it with, who came to more so boo opposing players versus cheer for their guy. “Fans” like that are ******* clowns.
It seemed more like a reaction to an over the top celebration on a point, and perhaps from writing a political statement on the camera

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
It seemed more like a reaction to an over the top celebration on a point, and perhaps from writing a political statement on the camera
If that’s all it was then that’s pretty weak.

The “over the top” celebration was directed at the few clowns that were booing him so this was his way to tell them “f off” and I would support any player doing that.

Political statement? I doubt any of the people watching tennis know the intricacies of current events in a tiny province of Serbia. It’s not like he wrote “love you Vladimir, you the man” on camera.

Those few fans are simply Novak haters or uppity snobs.

Reactions: isutrevman

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
To add more to the French crowd. Just finished watching the Sabalenka/Svitolina match, won by Sabalenka. No issues at all from either player during the match, but Sabalenka was waiting for the handshake at the net and Svitolina went right to the chair umpire to shake hands and go to her bench. The French crowd starts booing, and yes naturally you would do this.

However, in case they've all been living under a rock for the past year and half, Ukraine (Svitolina's home country) has been invaded by Russia and Belarus (Sabalenka's home country) has supported Russia. So yeah, she isn't shaking hands with Russian and Belarussian players. She's done it all tournament and most Ukrainian players have done this since the invasion.

Only hope is they are just booing the situation going on in Ukraine, but then they switch to cheering for Sabalenka immediately after. So typical French crowd again. Read the room, or in this instance court, people.

Reactions: legi

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
To add more to the French crowd. Just finished watching the Sabalenka/Svitolina match, won by Sabalenka. No issues at all from either player during the match, but Sabalenka was waiting for the handshake at the net and Svitolina went right to the chair umpire to shake hands and go to her bench. The French crowd starts booing, and yes naturally you would do this.

However, in case they've all been living under a rock for the past year and half, Ukraine (Svitolina's home country) has been invaded by Russia and Belarus (Sabalenka's home country) has supported Russia. So yeah, she isn't shaking hands with Russian and Belarussian players. She's done it all tournament and most Ukrainian players have done this since the invasion.

Only hope is they are just booing the situation going on in Ukraine, but then they switch to cheering for Sabalenka immediately after. So typical French crowd again. Read the room, or in this instance court, people.
I think fans want to separate sports from politics, and she can still respect her opponent by shakings hands while realizing Sabalenka has nothing to do with Russia's invasion.

We've got some big time matches today. Djokovic vs. Khachonav, Gauff vs. Swiatek and Alcaraz vs. Tsistipas.

Khackonav's game doesn't seem like it should work on clay. Big, tall guy with flat, heavy groundstrokes. But he keeps advancing.

I don't see how Tsitsipas can beat Alcaraz. I'm not sure anyone can outside of Djokovic unless Alcaraz has a really bad day and makes liked 30-40 unforced errors (which can happen with him occasionally).

I also don't see Gauff beating Iga. She's too good right now.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I think fans want to separate sports from politics, and she can still respect her opponent by shakings hands while realizing Sabalenka has nothing to do with Russia's invasion.

We've got some big time matches today. Djokovic vs. Khachonav, Gauff vs. Swiatek and Alcaraz vs. Tsistipas.

Khackonav's game doesn't seem like it should work on clay. Big, tall guy with flat, heavy groundstrokes. But he keeps advancing.

I don't see how Tsitsipas can beat Alcaraz. I'm not sure anyone can outside of Djokovic unless Alcaraz has a really bad day and makes liked 30-40 unforced errors (which can happen with him occasionally).

I also don't see Gauff beating Iga. She's too good right now.
That's great and all that they want to separate that. But this is what Ukrainian players have chosen to do, and it's certainly not unreasonable for them to act this way. They aren't malicious about it. They have just said they aren't shaking hands. It's also not really a politics thing. It's a freaking invasion of a country, not instigated by the country being invaded in any way.

But yes back to tennis. Really hoping Khachanov can keep this up after taking the 1st Set. He's got one of the ugliest forehands in the game, but it pops. Plus I just am fully done with the Big 3 now that Federer is retired, Nadal is basically retired and Djokovic is near the end. I want all of the new generation and guys in their mid to late 20s to start winning these things consistently now. Because if Novak keeps racking up slams, then he should get the same treatment people give Federer for winning a bunch of slams before Rafa and Novak got into the fray. Can't have it both ways.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
They are going to boo him no matter what little thing he does, so might as well give it back. Medvedev has had similar experiences. And it’s usually a handful of “fans” he will get into it with, who came to more so boo opposing players versus cheer for their guy. “Fans” like that are ******* clclowns.
Far from a Djokovic fan but I agree. Djokovic isn't winning them over at this point. I'd rather he gives it back then that stupid heart gesture

Reactions: legi and jctisu

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Anyone else thinking Tsitsipas upsets Alcaraz and ruins a great Semifinal matchup?

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I'm interested to hear what everyone else thinks about Alcaraz. I started watching tennis heavily basically when Federer emerged. I find Alcaraz to be the most exciting player I've ever seen. Not that he's going to have the same career as Djokovic, Federer and Nadal, but he might be more fun to watch than those guys. Federer is the only one who compares from an excitement and shot making standpoint.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I'm interested to hear what everyone else thinks about Alcaraz. I started watching tennis heavily basically when Federer emerged. I find Alcaraz to be the most exciting player I've ever seen. Not that he's going to have the same career as Djokovic, Federer and Nadal, but he might be more fun to watch than those guys. Federer is the only one who compares from an excitement and shot making standpoint.
To me he's almost being crowned the new king too early. He's yet to make a SF outside of the US Open though he's betting favorite to win the title. Pre tournament anyways not sure of current odds.

Enormous talent though. Bigger weapons than Nadal but similar athleticism. He's the best talent since Big 3. I love tennis and find each of Big 3 to be entertaining but I agree, I find Federer to be the best for viewing.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
To me he's almost being crowned the new king too early. He's yet to make a SF outside of the US Open though he's betting favorite to win the title. Pre tournament anyways not sure of current odds.

Enormous talent though. Bigger weapons than Nadal but similar athleticism. He's the best talent since Big 3. I love tennis and find each of Big 3 to be entertaining but I agree, I find Federer to be the best for viewing.

Agree. Federer is just a beautiful player. Nadal provides energy and strength. Djokovic is probably the best overall of the three with the combination of strength, flexibility and shot making.

• Agree

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Agree. Federer is just a beautiful player. Nadal provides energy and strength. Djokovic is probably the best overall of the three with the combination of strength, flexibility and shot making.
I think Djokovic is fundamentally the best player of all time. Perfect technique, especially with the backhand.

• Agree
Reactions: legi and Beernuts

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Alcaraz is dismantling Tsitsipas.
While I was watching this match, I got to thinking that I never hear of tennis players blowing out their ACL's. I'm sure they do but I haven't heard about. They have a lot of the same motions as basketball players with the quick stopping and starting.
Now that I think about, I believe Coco Vandeweghe blew hers out a couple of years ago.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I love Alcaraz as he plays the most exciting game at a slam-winning level since Federer imo. Sure guys like Gael Monfils was and is exciting but it’s not championship level tennis. Hoping Alcaraz goes on a tear and wins a ton of slams.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I think Djokovic is fundamentally the best player of all time. Perfect technique, especially with the backhand.
Djokovic is perfect from a teaching standpoint. You can’t teach Roger and Rafa’s technique. It’s nearly impossible.

Roger just has the most God given talent with a racquet we have and may ever see. His forehand is still the best of the three. And his serve is best all time other than maybe Sampras.

Rafa’s forehand technique no coach in their right mind would teach but he has mastered it and there’s a reason he’s the only guy to generate the RPMs the way he does. Absolutely perfect for clay. His tenacity and grit competitive nature is second to none.

Novak has the best backhand of the three by a wide margin honestly. And he has the best standard tennis technique of the three if you are teaching a player how to play.

People don’t know how much we will miss all three. It’s why a guy like Alcaraz is so intriguing as he can fill that void.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Djokovic is perfect from a teaching standpoint. You can’t teach Roger and Rafa’s technique. It’s nearly impossible.

Roger just has the most God given talent with a racquet we have and may ever see. His forehand is still the best of the three. And his serve is best all time other than maybe Sampras.

Rafa’s forehand technique no coach in their right mind would teach but he has mastered it and there’s a reason he’s the only guy to generate the RPMs the way he does. Absolutely perfect for clay. His tenacity and grit competitive nature is second to none.

Novak has the best backhand of the three by a wide margin honestly. And he has the best standard tennis technique of the three if you are teaching a player how to play.

People don’t know how much we will miss all three. It’s why a guy like Alcaraz is so intriguing as he can fill that void.
As with every athlete, will he be able to stay healthy for a long period of time.