2023-24 ISU WBB Season Thread

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Probably going to have to wait till exhibition or early NC to see the gals. Not sure I recall seeing or hearing much more than a score or two from these in the past. These might be just glorified scrimmages. Seeing some video snippets would be fun but probably not very revealing.

My Gopher peeps are also going on one of these trips. Probably REALLY good for them with new coach and a number of new gals. Their 4th game of the NC will be UConn. Gophers only announced their trip on August 1st so it seems it was a last minute sort of thing. They did list their games and times though with teams being Split Select and Dubrovnik Select in Croatia and Athens Select in Greece. Last I saw officially from Cyclones.com was TBD.

Saw this from an article that popped in my Twitter feed. It's Bluder, which will annoy some here, but really is true about what these trips are all about.

“For me, these trips are about the extra summer practices you get than (the competition) over there,” Bluder said. “Because the competition is really different. Sometimes it’s really good — you’re playing national teams. And sometimes it’s awful. To me, the competition isn’t what really matters. It’s the practices you get now trying to get a head-start on next year.” - Sports Illustrated
I would add to Bluder's comment…the benefit ISU gets is team building with so many new faces.

Reactions: NWICY

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thanks for the FB videos to catch the lucky ladies. Nice to see another Joens and all those other familiar faces as well as the new. Not a fan of the FB skinny video frame though (or is that Xavier's fault?) .

I think that is the "Reels" short story stuff default.

Wish we could embed the regular FB postings like the Twitter posts embed. Doesn't seem to work for me but the web link at least populates with a summary.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Of course the one article a year in The Athletic on ISU is blocked from my NY Time's subscription share. :rolleyes:
The site allows you to open the article and then hit the download page option then go to your documents download page and hit open doc.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Excerpts from The Athletic piece have me giving Ryan the first nod towards Sainthood (of three "Venerable," then "Blessed" and then "Saint."):

Coaches sold Brown on playing multiple positions throughout the recruiting process … and now there’s pretty much no choice but to do so, immediately and often. “I’m not going to be stuck in one position,” Brown says. “That was a big thing for me, because I think I’m way more than just one position.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ryan saw just one remaining teammate from her own touted five-player freshman class in the gym and felt a little bit cheated going into her final season. And she’ll concede the reality: As a senior, you expect more familiarity. But when some might mourn, Ryan talks about a nice change of pace. A fresh start. A breath of fresh air.
Ryan says. “You could look at it as, oh, man, it’s my senior year, there’s so much different, and look at it in a negative way. But I think the right way to look at it is all the opportunities it presents. We get to be here and teach a new group how to do things, and I find a lot of joy in teaching the younger ones, and just trying to lead them the right way. Seeing the process through their eyes is really fun for me.”

WBBfan15

Nov 21, 2018
I'm not tech savvy, but I saw on Maddie Wise's Instagram that Butler is playing at Hilton on November 6.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I hate that ISU is always late posting their schedule. I had to pick a night (Mon or Wed) to teach a class and I took Monday. That sucks that I'll miss the Butler game. Here's a screen grab from the Butler page. Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 4.28.30 PM.png

Reactions: WBBfan15

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I hate that ISU is always late posting their schedule. I had to pick a night (Mon or Wed) to teach a class and I took Monday. That sucks that I'll miss the Butler game. Here's a screen grab from the Butler page. View attachment 116043

The men are also playing at home on 11/6, so the chances are basically zero that the women play at night.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The men are also playing at home on 11/6, so the chances are basically zero that the women play at night.
Won't help. My evening class is 3 hours south of Ames. I'm not too excited about the idea of driving 7 hours that day just to squeeze in a bball game.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron