***2022-23 MBB General Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
Baylor’s about to be down 30 in the 2nd half
So if Baylor is beatable, Kansas is beatable, TCU is beatable, TxT is beatable, and Texas will inevitably underperform as is tradition...

Is this the year all 10 teams in the B12 finish with a 9-9 record?

Reactions: isutrevman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don’t see an elite team other than KU, but a lot of really good teams. Still the toughest conference overall IMO

I think top to bottom it will still be a mess for sure. Is there anyone that's going to be really bad?

My hope is ISU goes into conference play with 2 losses at the most and then .500ish in conference is good enough.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Iowa is pretty good when they don't' have anyone guarding them.

I will say they should be tested after playing Seton Hall on the road, Clemson, TCU and Duke.

Last edited:

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
WTF was that call just now in the Mich/Virginia game?
Dickinson pushes off in the trap, then swings his elbow and smokes the virginia guy right in the face, knocking him to the floor, blood all over his mouth and they give the foul to Virginia?

Reactions: isutrevman

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
WTF was that call just now in the Mich/Virginia game?
Dickinson pushes off in the trap, then swings his elbow and smokes the virginia guy right in the face, knocking him to the floor, blood all over his mouth and they give the foul to Virginia?
Yeah Dickinson shouldn’t be playing.

Reactions: ISU_Guy

PizzaTheHutt

Feb 6, 2014
I personally think we win out the non-con. One thing that is being missed with Iowa is they have a game in New York at 8:30 PM versus Duke on 12/6 then they have an ultra quick turnaround against us on 12/8. That’s a bigger variable than you think.

They have always been a terrible team when they face somebody that plays in your face defense (See last year vs us). Also the one decent defensive team they played this year, TCU, slapped them around. Anything can happen but I think we get the W.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I personally think we win out the non-con. One thing that is being missed with Iowa is they have a game in New York at 8:30 PM versus Duke on 12/6 then they have an ultra quick turnaround against us on 12/8. That’s a bigger variable than you think.

They have always been a terrible team when they face somebody that plays in your face defense (See last year vs us). Also the one decent defensive team they played this year, TCU, slapped them around. Anything can happen but I think we get the W.
Good take. so as long as we don't get tick tack refs, we have an average game offensively, we will be right there to win.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I'm as, or more, concerned with beating St John's than Iowa. TCU down two starters showed that Iowa's game does not translate against a physical P5 team. Bother Murray and control the glass. St John's will come into Ames undefeated and highly motivated for a highlight non-con win. They've beaten Syracuse, Temple, and Nebraska, which doesn't say a whole lot, but they're still likely a top-half Big East team

Edit: Plus Grill will likely drop 25 on the road against Iowa and go 0-5 at home vs SJ

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Admittedly I have not been paying a ton of attention to CBB outside of ISU so far. But how in the hell have Florida State and Louisville become so horrible?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Admittedly I have not been paying a ton of attention to CBB outside of ISU so far. But how in the hell have Florida State and Louisville become so horrible?
A lot of people are trying to figure that out.

Expectation for UL wasn't all that high heading into the season, but I doubt anyone expected an 0-7 start.

Florida State was pegged in some circles as a tournament team (perhaps double-digit seed, but at least contending) so starting 1-7 might be even more drastic than Louisville.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Not sure what penalties and defections Louisville has had, but they are absolutely awful. They play a bit like that young Memphis team we smoked last year, but with less talent

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Why are the matchups in this years B1G/ACC challenge so bad? Or maybe the conferences are just trash outside of the top third of both leagues.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Why are the matchups in this years B1G/ACC challenge so bad? Or maybe the conferences are just trash outside of the top third of both leagues.
I guess I'd have to compare the matchups to past years to know if this is any worse overall.

It's possible some pairings are worse based on expectation of the teams involved.

Purdue at FSU ... Purdue appears better than expected; Florida State, much worse
Maryland better than expected ... UL much much worse

As a couple of examples

Reactions: nfrine