2020 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Im glad the Jackets won,

im really interested to see if the heads will roll in Toronto. I think their head coach is safe but I think the President and their GM Dubas May be in trouble.

I have been a big Dubas fan in the past and a defender but looking back this isn’t looking good for the Leafs. They tied majority of their cap into 4 players. In a sport that is a one of the largest team dependent. Their top line tonight had 3 players with the combined cap hit of 11 players on the Columbus blue jackets. Hockey isn’t a sport you can just super team it up with 4 stars.

now with COVID hitting hockey. The cap will be frozen and be slow the rise after which makes them one of the most cap crunched teams in the league for the near future. Dubas has had no ability to negotiate team friendly deals forcing them to trade away talent because they cannot pay.

how crazy would it be if they Front office themselves out of contending because of their terrible money management?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Im glad the Jackets won,

im really interested to see if the heads will roll in Toronto. I think their head coach is safe but I think the President and their GM Dubas May be in trouble.

I have been a big Dubas fan in the past and a defender but looking back this isn’t looking good for the Leafs. They tied majority of their cap into 4 players. In a sport that is a one of the largest team dependent. Their top line tonight had 3 players with the combined cap hit of 11 players on the Columbus blue jackets. Hockey isn’t a sport you can just super team it up with 4 stars.

now with COVID hitting hockey. The cap will be frozen and be slow the rise after which makes them one of the most cap crunched teams in the league for the near future. Dubas has had no ability to negotiate team friendly deals forcing them to trade away talent because they cannot pay.

how crazy would it be if they Front office themselves out of contending because of their terrible money management?

The Leafs are the biggest team in the league and they aren’t afraid to make big moves. They also now have a 12.5% chance of winning the lottery and getting LaFreniere. The problem is their fans and their FO think that if they aren’t an exciting offensive team then they aren’t winning the right way.

Their defense is lower tier and their goalie is lower tier. Teams like the Blue Jackets with a dedicated and bought in to system that requires their forwards to be 60/40 offense/defense have a huge advantage against the leafs. Marner and Matthews just sit at the blue line waiting for cheap pucks to come their way and get 2v 1s and Tavares plays a little more D but not much more.

And seriously there is no team that gets away with too many men on the ice as Toronto. Mathews and Marner just sneak out behind the play and hide along the boards while the the previous line is still on the other side of the ice and the defensemen know you look for them. Got called once tonight but could be called about 20 times a game.

end Leafs rant.

• Agree
Reactions: StormnClone58

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
The Leafs are the biggest team in the league and they aren’t afraid to make big moves. They also now have a 12.5% chance of winning the lottery and getting LaFreniere. The problem is their fans and their FO think that if they aren’t an exciting offensive team then they aren’t winning the right way.

Their defense is lower tier and their goalie is lower tier. Teams like the Blue Jackets with a dedicated and bought in to system that requires their forwards to be 60/40 offense/defense have a huge advantage against the leafs. Marner and Matthews just sit at the blue line waiting for cheap pucks to come their way and get 2v 1s and Tavares plays a little more D but not much more.

And seriously there is no team that gets away with too many men on the ice as Toronto. Mathews and Marner just sneak out behind the play and hide along the boards while the the previous line is still on the other side of the ice and the defensemen know you look for them. Got called once tonight but could be called about 20 times a game.

end Leafs rant.

yeah Im excited for Tampa Bay vs CBJ II

lets see if Tampa has learned how to defend the heavy forecheck. If Columbus can make them uncomfortable late last year it should be an interesting series. I doubt it will be a sweep for either team though.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
So is this game gonna end or

Going in to the 5th hour. it’s like playing a video game on half speed. There has to be another game on this ice tonight still. It’s like an Iowa farm pond in early March at this point.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
These multi-overtime games usually end with a fluke goal. We'll see how it goes.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
These long games are the downside of only playing at 2 locations. Games are going to go really late after this.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
JFC this is getting ridiculous. Korpi is going to have 100 saves by the time this ends.

At this point, this is going to end in some sort of bad mistake by a goalie or defender. The offensive players just don't have the legs left to make a special play to end this.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
At this point, this is going to end in some sort of bad mistake by a goalie or defender. The offensive players just don't have the legs left to make a special play to end this.

Yep. Probably just shooting the puck in to the zone off the back boards and off the back of the goalie. I don’t think there was a penalty in the entire 4th OT which is crazy.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Yep. Probably just shooting the puck in to the zone off the back boards and off the back of the goalie. I don’t think there was a penalty in the entire 4th OT which is crazy.

There was no penalty called. I know refs tend to swallow whistles in OT, but there appeared to be some opportunities in that period.