***2020 Concert Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Do you think they're doing a world tour just because it conveniently fit into their calendar?It's an election year, and a big one.

If you tire of Rage Against the Machine being political, then you really haven't been paying attention for the last 28 years.

oh I know who rage is. Like I said though, I have seen them play a show where not much talk happened and another where they would not shut up and the crowd kind of died. The Cypress Hill show was the last one I saw and they kind of stopped the political speech crap on that one.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I want to say @jbindm has seen Iron & Wine a couple times? I know someone gave me a review before I saw him and I think it was him

That sounds like me. Thursday will be something like the sixth or seventh time I've seen him. And out of all those times he's only been flat out bad once. The best I ever saw him was when he played with a big backing band at Hoyt Sherman several years ago. So sometimes a collaboration is the best thing for him; livens him up a bit. His solo shows are also good but I'll admit they can be a little drowsy. I'm not sure what to expect from him and Calexico but it should be good. It's all gravy for me at this point. Every song of his I've ever wanted to hear live he's done at a show I've been at. When he opened with Upward Over the Mountain at Red Rocks I was in tears.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
That sounds like me. Thursday will be something like the sixth or seventh time I've seen him. And out of all those times he's only been flat out bad once. The best I ever saw him was when he played with a big backing band at Hoyt Sherman several years ago. So sometimes a collaboration is the best thing for him; livens him up a bit. His solo shows are also good but I'll admit they can be a little drowsy. I'm not sure what to expect from him and Calexico but it should be good. It's all gravy for me at this point. Every song of his I've ever wanted to hear live he's done at a show I've been at. When he opened with Upward Over the Mountain at Red Rocks I was in tears.

I've been checking out playlists for their shows - it looks like mostly the recent combo album, and then just a few songs from each artist?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iron...0/ryman-auditorium-nashville-tn-3b983850.html

Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
  • Agree
Reactions: Angie

cyguy9320

Nov 26, 2006
2020 so far: All in KC
  • February 8 - Miniature Tigers
  • February 9 - Dr. Dog
  • March 6 - Glass Animals
  • March 15 - Caamp
  • April 1 - Sturgill Simpson
  • July 8 - Elton John
  • July 20 - Tame Impala
  • August 29 - Roger Waters
  • September 29 - Vampire Weekend

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Those Rage Tickets are not cheap.
I'm going to see them at Alpine Valley in the GA section, and it was still $90.

Probably worth it, though. Especially if they're a bucket list item for you as a music fan. If you don't go this time around then who knows if or when they'll ever be on tour again.

I guess if they come through again in a year or two and they're officially in a "squeeze every last dollar out of our popularity and relevancy" phase then shame on you for overpaying, but they don't strike me as that type of band. I can't see them ever having a residency in Vegas or any nonsense like that. This feels like a one shot deal or at the very least something that's far from guaranteed to happen again.

• Agree
Reactions: Entropy

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I've been checking out playlists for their shows - it looks like mostly the recent combo album, and then just a few songs from each artist?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iron...0/ryman-auditorium-nashville-tn-3b983850.html

So did you enjoy the show? I thought it was just OK. The guys from Calexico were very skilled musicians, but I couldn't understand one word their singer uttered. He was very mumbly. I don't know if there was an encore or not; they were finishing their set around 10:30 and we had to bail for the babysitter's sake.

• Agree

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
So did you enjoy the show? I thought it was just OK. The guys from Calexico were very skilled musicians, but I couldn't understand one word their singer uttered. He was very mumbly. I don't know if there was an encore or not; they were finishing their set around 10:30 and we had to bail for the babysitter's sake.

I ended up not going due to the weather. It was a long enough drive in the dark alone (I'm a TERRIBLE night driver) in sub-zero temps, and after looking at the set list and hunting down some YouTubes of their joint shows, it wasn't quite worth it. (The videos I saw reinforce what you've noticed - just not great enunciation.) I'm bummed at not seeing it, but the chance of freezing to death on the side of the road was too daunting.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
A couple I got on the agenda so far this year...
Murder by Death and amigo the devil At Wooly’s 3/11
Lucas Nelson and Promise for the Real 3/28 at Hoyt
Pears and Single Mothers at Vaudville Mews 4/17
American Aquarium at Wooly’s 7/1
Hinterland 7/31-8/2
Vampire weekend in CR September

• Friendly

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Just saw Korn and Breaking Benjamin in CR last weekend.

Glorious Sons just announced Woolys in March.

Have Rage tickets in KC the next weekend.

Guthrie River Ruckus always.

Wilco at Waterworks.

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
Saw Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires in Cedar Rapids, Friday night, outside at the McGrath Amphitheater. Yes, I know a show outside in October in Iowa is borderline ridiculous, but it was actually pretty good. My wife and I needed live music. And more importantly it was Jason Isbell.

Reactions: NWICY