**2017 Cap City Thread**

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Lard is probably a step up from his HS scouting report which was like 2 years ago..lol..described him as very athletic, tons of energy, and energy rebounder who has knack for getting ball. Explains how he basically played entire game without coming out. Lard alone is a far better step up from Holden last year and it's not close. I'm not concerned with our inside game for 2017...I think we will have a far better inside game in 2017 its whether or not LW, DJ, Babb, Long and Lewis can score enough for outside to open things up. Still thinking we add another kid yet for 2017.

2018 with Shayok and Jacobsen added to the inside for depth along wtih other recruits and i have no doubt we will be back to where we left off in 2018..Lewis going to be stud. Kid can shoot and has quick release. Haven't even seen LW yet...lol.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
Talked to Lard after the game. He said he didn't really get to feature his outside game as much as he'd like since he had to play the 5. Has a good 3 point stroke IMO, especially in catch and shoot situations. Engaging guy. I think fans will like his personality and the energy he plays with.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Saw most of the first game but didn't get to stay as long as I had hoped with my two young children growing restless. First I have to say I like the set up at FBBC as there is seating on both sides of the court.

My thoughts:

-Lard looks like a Big 12 body and even more muscular/toned than I imagined. He has the tools and athleticism but seemed rusty/pushing a bit which is expected for his first game. After awhile, it was hard to really judge as he never came out of the game so I'm sure was more tired. If we can play with him and Young at the same time, we'll have a pretty good rebounding duo.

-Shayok to me was the best player on the floor in my opinion. Has a lot of moves, good shot, rim finishing skills, and doesn't like to lose even a pickup game. Wish we had him next year but excited for 2018. He was actually a bit smaller than I imagined.

-Lewis really impressed me in the beginning and at times carried his team. However, later on didn't notice him as much but admittedly was tending to my children at times.

-Young was Young. A beast down low causing disruption on defense and cleaning up on offense. Had a couple careless turnovers but so did everyone else. I love his high motor. He did miss a couple easy bunnies with his right hand so hope he works on that the rest of the summer.

Other note: De'Antae McMurray who plays for Drake impressed me. Very quick and good finish moves. Hoping Drake can have a better season this year.

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
That first game tonight of Lard, Shayok, Young and Lewis potentially had four 2018 starters. So much fun to watch. Throw in Wigginton and I could see ISU starting Wigginton/Lewis/Shayok/Young and Lard.

I was thinking to myself the same thoughts. We'd be able to hang with most teams with Lewis, Wig, Shayok, Young, and Lard. Throw Babb, Jacobson, and hopefully a couple commits. I really like the lineup for 2018.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
Talked to Lard after the game. He said he didn't really get to feature his outside game as much as he'd like since he had to play the 5. Has a good 3 point stroke IMO, especially in catch and shoot situations. Engaging guy. I think fans will like his personality and the energy he plays with.
Will he not play five like Georges did?

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
That's it for tonight. I left early during the last game. (Jacobson vs Hutchinson) because I was anxious to start my highlights from the Lard/Shayok vs Solomon/Lewis game.
FYI - I am 6'8. I stood next to Jacobson, he is definitely shorter than me ... I would say 6'7". Info only

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Lard (in that video) looks like an awesome SF

Did not know he had those kinds of handles in his arsenal

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
The videos of Cam Lard are definitely highlights. During the season, I wouldn't expect Cam to create his own shot outside the arc too much. Depending on who is guarding him, he may drive a little but he isn't someone I want dribbling a lot. During the 18-19 season, I fully expect Shayok to be a guy that we can go to with the shot clock running down and he'll be able to create his own shot, whether that is driving or shooting of the dribble. He is very talented offensively and we know he can hold his own on defense.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
The videos of Cam Lard are definitely highlights. During the season, I wouldn't expect Cam to create his own shot outside the arc too much. Depending on who is guarding him, he may drive a little but he isn't someone I want dribbling a lot. During the 18-19 season, I fully expect Shayok to be a guy that we can go to with the shot clock running down and he'll be able to create his own shot, whether that is driving or shooting of the dribble. He is very talented offensively and we know he can hold his own on defense.

I think in 18-19 we will have 3 kids we can go to when shot clock is winding down to get ISU a bucket...LW, Lewis and Shayok.