Winter Project help

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I have a project that I'd like to try but I'm not handy at all. We have an old arm armoire that we're not using and I'd like to make it into a mini bar to put in my basement.

Here is the armoire
jPY3Gm7.jpg

I'd like for it to end up looking something like a mix of these two
IvjOwzW.jpg

kRSWqDg.jpg

I'd leave the top open but I thought I could cut down these doors for the bottom.

eeokhSA.jpg

For the bottom I'd try to mimic this (without the fridge)

IvjOwzW.jpg

Here comes the dumb questions:

Lets say I want to put two of these lights into it. What do I use to wire this so that I can plug it into an outlet?
gRQZ2E9.jpg

Would re-staining it be best? What do I have to do to prep the wood?

Other thoughts? Should I just scrap the idea and not hurt myself?

Reactions: CloneFan4

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I don't think it's worth the effort. Could you? Sure. Should you? I don't think so. You're trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Just start from scratch and build what you want.

• Winner
Reactions: Macloney

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I don't think it's worth the effort. Could you? Sure. Should you? I don't think so. You're trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Just start from scratch and build what you want.

Meh, most projects like this are 'because you can', not as much 'because it's cost effective'. That said, if the whole thing is MDF, starting from scratch might be easier. If it's hardwood, then that changes things.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Meh, most projects like this are 'because you can', not as much 'because it's cost effective'. That said, if the whole thing is MDF, starting from scratch might be easier. If it's hardwood, then that changes things.
I would second this. Looks like your gonna have to put some sort of wood backing on it anyway. I think you could fairly successfully strip it down and then attach new wood where you want it for wine holders and backing ect. However that old wood might take your new stain quite a bit different. It sounds like you might be more of a novice, as am I. I might fart around with it for awhile with stripping it and stuff. Then see where your at and if you like how it’s going. If it gets messed up then your out nothing and just build one and stain it. If you start building on though then your looking at needing more tools than a paint brush, sand paper and drill.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Also you may want to heat your garage if you don’t already. I can’t imagine a stripping/painting project going well in the cold.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Okay, I tend to agree with the other that you might want to start from scratch, but this is exactly the kind of thing I would repurpose. You could get some shelving materials from the drawers and doors. You can probably get some crown molding for the top.

The lights you can handle with a lamp wiring kit, probably can get that at Menards. Definitely want to do something different with the back.

Usually not a fan of painting, but in this case I like the grey in the example, and that gets you away needing to match the oak. As far as prep for paint, I usually just sand things and then use a primer or oil based paint.

Last edited:

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Are you sure that’s made of solid wood? Looks like it could be a veneer to me me. If so, stripping and staining a different color will be near impossible.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk and burn587

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Depends a lot on whether that’s solid wood or not. Staining a piece that big probably won’t go well if you don’t have experience doing it. You’ll probably be better off painting it with a General Finishes milk paint or something of the sort. If you want the antiqued look you can do multiple coats with different colors and lightly sand it down.

I’m not sure what you mean by cut the doors down because I’m not sure how that would work. You can buy cabinet doors in custom sizes online.

As far as the wiring goes, you can buy the cords at Menards, Lowe’s, etc. Something similar to below.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-...-14-Gauge-Black-Indoor-Extension-Cord/3190621

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Depends a lot on whether that’s solid wood or not. Staining a piece that big probably won’t go well if you don’t have experience doing it. You’ll probably be better off painting it with a General Finishes milk paint or something of the sort. If you want the antiqued look you can do multiple coats with different colors and lightly sand it down.

I’m not sure what you mean by cut the doors down because I’m not sure how that would work. You can buy cabinet doors in custom sizes online.

As far as the wiring goes, you can buy the cords at Menards, Lowe’s, etc. Something similar to below.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-...-14-Gauge-Black-Indoor-Extension-Cord/3190621

More of a question than anything, but I know that most cords aren't rated for in-wall use. And Romex is only to be used "in-wall."

Maybe this is too philosophical, but what makes "a wall?" If the OP runs this cords inside the cabinet, it's not "in-wall." But what if he encloses behind a wood panel? Could he run Romex inside a false panel?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm a finish carpenter and have done several bars. You could do it with what you have just depends on what you want. If you want a real bar, with a top, sink, fridge, etc then you're getting way in over your head. If you're just looking to make a storage area behind an already existing bar, then you're on easy street and just need to narrow down your finishes for the wood. Since one is painted, and I like the color, you could just match it on the wood finished cab. Get some milk paint and it will match that blue pretty close. Just stack the things together how you like. If you feel frisky try to modify the current to get some cool lighting in there. Don't screw around with electrical if you're not experienced though. Get an electrician don't be cheap.

If you're looking to make a single unit like shown, then just reinforce the backing to apply the tile of your choice. Either strip the finish, or rough it up with an orbital sander to bond the paint better. Sand lightly with 220 sand paper between coats to get a nice finish.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
More of a question than anything, but I know that most cords aren't rated for in-wall use. And Romex is only to be used "in-wall."

Maybe this is too philosophical, but what makes "a wall?" If the OP runs this cords inside the cabinet, it's not "in-wall." But what if he encloses behind a wood panel? Could he run Romex inside a false panel?

Im no electrician by any means. The only time I’ve run wiring outside the wall was some MC cable I wired straight off the panel for the 220 on my garage heater. Wired 10 gauge Romex from the panel in the wall to a junction box at the ceiling. Ran the MC cable across the bulkhead in the ceiling from there so I didn’t have to deal with drywall.

The reason for Romex not being allowed to be exposed is because of potential damage to the wiring. It has little protection from the sheathing. Wiring lights into something like this sounds like a pain in the butt, especially when they make plug in cabinet lighting.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Im no electrician by any means. The only time I’ve run wiring outside the wall was some MC cable I wired straight off the panel for the 220 on my garage heater. Wired 10 gauge Romex from the panel in the wall to a junction box at the ceiling. Ran the MC cable across the bulkhead in the ceiling from there so I didn’t have to deal with drywall.

The reason for Romex not being allowed to be exposed is because of potential damage to the wiring. It has little protection from the sheathing. Wiring lights into something like this sounds like a pain in the butt, especially when they make plug in cabinet lighting.

I agree. I just don't like to see on the Internet people stringing extension cords in the wall. But this would be a giant PITA with romex and j-boxes.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I agree. I just don't like to see on the Internet people stringing extension cords in the wall. But this would be a giant PITA with romex and j-boxes.

I think you might be thinking too hard on this one. I have a couple of cabinets that have lights in them. The lights are just mounted and wired to a JB in the cabinet. From the JB, it's a lamp cord that plugs into a standard outlet. No different than any other lamp that you've got in your home.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think you might be thinking too hard on this one. I have a couple of cabinets that have lights in them. The lights are just mounted and wired to a JB in the cabinet. From the JB, it's a lamp cord that plugs into a standard outlet. No different than any other lamp that you've got in your home.

That’s the impression that Ingot from the OP as well. They aren’t trying to run to a dedicated switch he just needs to wire the two lights together and then add an end to plug in to the wall.

• Friendly
Reactions: dosry5

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Well I went ahead and did it so I thought I would give an update. Learned a few things along the way.

#1 Didn't know anything about Kreg Jig's. Damn they are slick and also learned they are made in Iowa.

Starting with this
jPY3Gm7.jpg

Did this first
X1yROa6.jpg