Iowa State Transfer/Recruiting Class 2024

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Staff consistently calls Milan a guard fwiw
That doesn't mean he won't play the 4. Last year Otz started 4 guards (Lipsey, Holmes, Grill, and Kalscheur) during the first half or so of Big 12 play after Kunc's injury and before Grill's injury/departure.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Heise commitment seems likely at this point, especially since we made a play for him last April.

Really want to get Dailey Jr.. He's the missing link for us the be top 10 imo.

Lipsey
Gilbert
Momcilovic
Daily Jr
Jackson

CuJo
Watson
Heise
Rock
Indrusitas

We probably need another backup 5 so you aren't counting on Rock too much

Sign me up.

That other big could be a flier type. A young guy that already can play defense and rebounding, but hadn’t yet demonstrated offense

Reactions: Carol

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
What is the scouting report on Indrusitas? We don't need a starter but it would be nice to get a couple younger guys some minutes for the following season.

Also, I hope Watson can develop some offensive game and shooting.

Reactions: Carol

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I get the feeling we see Momcilovic play the 4 next season.

On the offensive end, depending on sets, there isn't much difference between a 3/4.

Playing Momcilovic at the 4 would be a bigger impact for him on defense. He's going to guard more length and TJ's probably going to want a little more rebounding.

But I get what your saying. If we are targeting 2 portal perimeter players- does that mean TJ is expecting another transfer out? Or is he projecting limited minutes for Pierce & Indrusaitis.

Or are we seeing a different mindset in the NIL & portal era. Guys are willing to test their abilities as a G6 player. They understand only the best play, but are financially protected if their abilities don't translate. I am guessing Paveletzke, Gilbert and Curtis Jones all made the same NIL money last season, whether they played 30 minutes or 5 minutes.
Assuming our top targets are Jackson (committed), Heise, Hadley and Kyle, which seems to be the consensus at this point, it looks like we are going for a (in Otz's lineup terms):
- A '3' (Heise)
- A '3/4' combo (Hadley)
- A '4/5' combo (Kyle)
- A '5' (Jackson)

If we don't get the top candidate at any of those roles, I'd expect TJ to go get another (maybe? or get the best available?) Although I'm not sure we've seen TJ miss on a top transfer target yet.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
What is the scouting report on Indrusitas? We don't need a starter but it would be nice to get a couple younger guys some minutes for the following season.

With what CW said on the latest pod I hope people just stop talking about the incoming freshman playing. If one of them Pops Off great, if not, they probably aren’t going to play much and that should be the expectation, not a surprise.

Reactions: quasistellar

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

Here's the latest thing I've seen from a Rivals scout:

Indrusitis’ reputation for being a marksman is solidified, but he showed more of a mixed bag in this win catching lobs for dunks and getting to the lane with relative ease. It’s easy to understand why T.J. Otzelberger and his staff rave about Indrusitis after he posted a game-high 25 points on Friday.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
With what CW said on the latest pod I hope people just stop talking about the incoming freshman playing. If one of them Pops Off great, if not, they probably aren’t going to play much and that should be the expectation, not a surprise.
Nojus is a similar recruit with a similar level of "polish" as Milan was last year. I fully expect him to play. But of course I have no where near the sources or knowledge as Williams.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Assuming our top targets are Jackson (committed), Heise, Hadley and Kyle, which seems to be the consensus at this point, it looks like we are going for a (in Otz's lineup terms):
- A '3' (Heise)
- A '3/4' combo (Hadley)
- A '4/5' combo (Kyle)
- A '5' (Jackson)

If we don't get the top candidate at any of those roles, I'd expect TJ to go get another (maybe? or get the best available?) Although I'm not sure we've seen TJ miss on a top transfer target yet.

Heise won't be starting if he comes here. He isn't good enough. He will be a come off the bench type guy. I have watched him play long enough. He is decent. I would say a strong Pav.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
If Heise can come in and give 15 minutes a night without much defensive drop off and be a consistent 3 pt shooter that will be super valuable to cut back a bit on the rest of the guards minutes and keep them fresh throughout the season

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Nebraska is also mid and they don't seem poised to be very good next season with the loss of their best player. Hopefully Kyle is smart enough that he picks ISU as we are just flat out better and cooler.
Kyle probably sees easily sliding in to the 4 at Neb. Fred played Allick as many mins as he could handle, and he was largely a zero on offense. Frankly I thought he was underwhelming defensively too.

Kyle is an upgrade at that spot, then they need to figure out how to get the offense of Tomenaga replaced. They bring everybody else back I believe.

• Agree
Reactions: Acer88

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
- A '3' (Heise)
- A '3/4' combo (Hadley)
- A '4/5' combo (Kyle)
- A '5' (Jackson)

Where exactly are all these minutes to come from. We already have 4 guys coming back that will command 30+ minutes. Then we add Jackson and Watson, along with 3 freshman coming in.

The 3 guys you mentioned are all playing upwards of 30-35 minutes at their old teams. They are going to come here and play what kind of minutes now?

Hadley is already playing heavy minutes at a Power 6 program and his Torvick rating is better than any of our returning guys this year. How is he going to handle the Trey King role playing 18-20 mpg?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Basically the norm for the top 15 or so teams nowadays. Freshman are going to be lottery tickets that are tough to justify too many scholarships when proven mid-major guys are more of a sure bet.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Kyle probably sees easily sliding in to the 4 at Neb. Fred played Allick as many mins as he could handle, and he was largely a zero on offense. Frankly I thought he was underwhelming defensively too.

Kyle is an upgrade at that spot, then they need to figure out how to get the offense of Tomenaga replaced. They bring everybody else back I believe.
They lose Mast as well. There's quite a bit of roster work to do there.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Where exactly are all these minutes to come from. We already have 4 guys coming back that will command 30+ minutes. Then we add Jackson and Watson, along with 3 freshman coming in.

The 3 guys you mentioned are all playing upwards of 30-35 minutes at their old teams. They are going to come here and play what kind of minutes now?

Hadley is already playing heavy minutes at a Power 6 program and his Torvick rating is better than any of our returning guys this year. How is he going to handle the Trey King role playing 18-20 mpg?
We have some good players with elite effort, but do we really have 4 guys that command 30+ minutes?

Our defense got us a long ways, but we didn’t even have an all-conference type

There’s room for another high minute guard, in part via the 4 you mentioned getting more rest

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
It is nice to not have to count on Freshman needing to make major contributions right away. Any freshman that plays significant minutes next year means they are pretty legit.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Those questioning the guards are forgetting something. While we have some great guys on the team, we don't have much reliability for shot-makers in that group. When one or two are struggling, we just have to play through it even though that might further limit our scoring and court-spreading ability.