Michigan

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
These punishments this past year are actually great.
I hope they continue with punishing coaches rather than players. Too long the NCAA and conferences have made sweeping punishments to teams when it's almost always coaches or staffers breaking the rules.

The problem is you do ultimately have to punish the program too, or else if you only punish the coach you'll see programs looking the other way and if the NCAA catches wind, the program just sends the coach packing (with some cash to keep his mouth shut) and hires a new one.

Reactions: legi

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
The problem is you do ultimately have to punish the program too, or else if you only punish the coach you'll see programs looking the other way and if the NCAA catches wind, the program just sends the coach packing (with some cash to keep his mouth shut) and hires a new one.
Then fine the program based on a % of their annual revenues to make it fair. Anything to avoid punishing the kids.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
He did - he was suspended three games earlier this year against the non-con punching bags for other rules violations.

He was suspended by the team for that. The ncaa punishment has not been handed down for that.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I'm both delighted and amazed that the Big 10 Comish has the balls to do this. Much like KU the NCAA would have not done anything meaningful to Michigan. That said, my guess is without a smoking gun, Michigan will sue the bejesus out of the conference. Stallion pretty much publicly exonerated the coaching staff.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
I'm both delighted and amazed that the Big 10 Comish has the balls to do this. Much like KU the NCAA would have not done anything meaningful to Michigan. That said, my guess is without a smoking gun, Michigan will sue the bejesus out of the conference. Stallion pretty much publicly exonerated the coaching staff.
Cowering to peer pressure without facts is the opposite of balls.

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
Once it came out that he was on another team’s sideline (C. Michigan), I think the Big 10 schools said enough is enough and we can’t wait for an 18-month NCAA investigation without any sort of punishment.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Cowering to peer pressure without facts is the opposite of balls.

They do have facts, you'll notice none of the pro michigan crowd has argued at all that they're not guilty.

There arguments boil down to other people cheat too and you can't punish us until the entire investigation is completed, which is funny because michigan didn't wait until an investigation was completed before suspending stallions

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks and legi

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
They do have facts, you'll notice none of the pro michigan crowd has argued at all that they're not guilty.

There arguments boil down to other people cheat too and you can't punish us until the entire investigation is completed, which is funny because michigan didn't wait until an investigation was completed before suspending stallions
There is an extremely large contingent of the Michigan fan base who doesn’t think they did anything wrong and that Harbaugh shouldn’t be punished.

Also the suspension you do to save face and not give the conference the complete middle finger

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013

The only facts they have are that Connor Stallions broke the rules.

Connor Stallions has been punished.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I’m not going to die on a hill defending Michigan or Harbaugh

But this seems like a grade-A example of a media-driven story if I’ve ever seen one. It’s not illegal to steal signs, and schools can use film, talk to fellow coaches/staff, etc, to do so. The only thing illegal here was Michigan pushing the envelope with a guy scouting a team in person. I really don’t think that gives Michigan that much of an advantage. I feel like a fine or even loss of some scholarships would have satisfied as punishment.

Meanwhile ESPN and Yahoo have been bleeding this story dry. It’s literally been the top story on ESPN.com every single day this week. Every minor update is tagged as “breaking news” on the site.

In the end, I don’t really care, I just think the punishment is an overreach. But if this causes a fracture in the B10, I’m all for it. I also don’t necessarily think it’s coincidental ESPN has been pushing this story after they recently lost out on the B10 media deal.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Once it came out that he was on another team’s sideline (C. Michigan), I think the Big 10 schools said enough is enough and we can’t wait for an 18-month NCAA investigation without any sort of punishment.
Has this been proven though? ESPN freaking had a facial recognition software company look at the image, and I believe they only came back with a 7 out of 10 level of confidence it was actually him.

I haven’t seen anything proving he was actually at the game (I could have missed it though, as I’m completely over this story).

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

I am surprised it happened this quickly, but as I said earlier in the thread, I am not surprised that this is different. When KU cheated to get recruits, you could not identify a particular “victim”. In this case, Michigan cheated directly against other powerful schools like OSU, PSU, etc.

No way were those schools going to allow a slap on the wrist.

Personally, I would have rather seen a big fine levied against the school and maybe coach himself.

Reactions: PickSix

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I am surprised it happened this quickly, but as I said earlier in the thread, I am not surprised that this is different. When KU cheated to get recruits, you could not identify a particular “victim”. In this case, Michigan cheated directly against other powerful schools like OSU, PSU, etc.

No way were those schools going to allow a slap on the wrist.

Personally, I would have rather seen a big fine levied against the school and maybe coach himself.
When KU cheated, the Victim was the rest of the big 12.

• Agree
Reactions: dafarmer and legi

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Has this been proven though? ESPN freaking had a facial recognition software company look at the image, and I believe they only came back with a 7 out of 10 level of confidence it was actually him.

I haven’t seen anything proving he was actually at the game (I could have missed it though, as I’m completely over this story).

Lol. The fact that CMU didn't come back with, "well actually that's our strength coaches buddy Dave" or that nobody has come forward to say it was someone else makes it a near certainty that it is indeed him.

As for your previous post, this punishment is far lighter than loss of scholarships.