Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The CU AD said something (in response to the rumor) to the effect of "we're happy in the PAC 12, but at the end of the day, we need to do what's best for our program". That's more than smoke. That's fire.

Of course, the question is, is that fire in the 'we've got 1 foot out the door' sense, or in the 'get your **** together and get us a deal George' sense?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
They have an obsession with the PAC since they’ve *almost* won two Rose Bowls the past few years.
The Utah fan base seems to think that they are on the short list behind Oregon and Washington to get an invite to the B10. They also want no part of being in the same conference as BYU.

To anyone looking on the outside looking in, their fan base is crazy, and they very well could up in the MWC again, before the B10 or SEC. They should be a school looking to lock up a lifeline not dreaming of rich paydays ahead.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Of course, the question is, is that fire in the 'we've got 1 foot out the door' sense, or in the 'get your **** together and get us a deal George' sense?
I can't imagine that would add much additional heat to the white hot inferno of pressure that is the PAC 12 offices right now.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The CU AD said something (in response to the rumor) to the effect of "we're happy in the PAC 12, but at the end of the day, we need to do what's best for our program". That's more than smoke. That's fire.
Honestly with Wazzu, what was a it a couple weeks ago, bringing up $ and cuts, you know Colorado had to open their eyes a little more.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The Utah fan base seems to think that they are on the short list behind Oregon and Washington to get an invite to the B10. They also want no part of being in the same conference as BYU.

To anyone looking on the outside looking in, their fan base is crazy, and they very well could up in the MWC again, before the B10 or SEC. They should be a school looking to lock up a lifeline not dreaming of rich paydays ahead.
Utah is pretty lucky they have a lifer of a coach but I 100% see BYU as a more sustainable-eyeball based school.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
To me the whole "basketball only" adds is just not at the right time. (which I havent seen if it is all sports except FB, or BB only)

We just got a TV Deal, and it does not have a provision for adding BB only. How do we split the pot in the current deal with a BB only school? I would think adding BB schools would be more of a possibility as the next contract gets closer, when BY expects to renegotiate BB separately. But right now it is all combined and just means those schools dont appear to add enough revenue in the current system.

In 5-6 years maybe, as we look to add and get established a BB only group before renegotiation.

Then Schools like Gonzaga, UConn, Nova, Creighton, St. Marys, Wichita St, Xavier etc. might be a possibility, if they can add BB value.
I disagree. I really like Yormark's approach here. He knows that the Big 12 won't be able to compete with the SEC and B1G as far as TV revenue goes so he's trying to make the Big 12 the SEC of hoops. I think it's brilliant.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

I guess they sort of are on the short list. They'd be right after Stanford and Colorado and probably ASU and maybe even Cal. That's not a very long list.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021

A lot of fans of these PAC 12 schools except for WSU, OSU, and Arizona think they’ll get to the B1G or SEC. They’re delusional.

One of my favorite quotes on a CU message board was from someone looking up “peer institutions” in other conferences. He said (paraphrased) “it doesn’t look like we’re mentioned much by the Big 10 even though we’re institutional peers. Maybe our AD hasn’t done enough outreach.”

Uh no. It’s because the Big 10 doesn’t see you as a peer. I imagine Utah is thinking the same way.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
A lot of fans of these PAC 12 schools except for WSU, OSU, and Arizona think they’ll get to the B1G or SEC. They’re delusional.

One of my favorite quotes on a CU message board was from someone looking up “peer institutions” in other conferences. He said (paraphrased) “it doesn’t look like we’re mentioned much by the Big 10 even though we’re institutional peers. Maybe our AD hasn’t done enough outreach.”

Uh no. It’s because the Big 10 doesn’t see you as a peer. I imagine Utah is thinking the same way.

The mistake they’re making is mixing academics/research with athletics.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle

Those Utah fans are something.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Utah is pretty lucky they have a lifer of a coach but I 100% see BYU as a more sustainable-eyeball based school.
Agree on the TV part re' BYU but their recruiting pool is so shallow that it really makes it difficult for them to sustain on-field success in order to max out the LDS TV eyeballs.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I disagree. I really like Yormark's approach here. He knows that the Big 12 won't be able to compete with the SEC and B1G as far as TV revenue goes so he's trying to make the Big 12 the SEC of hoops. I think it's brilliant.
I just think the timing is strange with us just getting a new contract, that does not separate BB and FB revenues. So it seams BB schools will just reduce our share until a new contract is decided/started.

While I agree it is possible it is a good thing when we negotiate our next contract, I jus think currently adding them is the wrong time.

A couple years before the new contract down the road, similar to what we did with the last additions would seem to make more sense.

This is all with the understanding that P5 schools are a pro rata add, while none P5 are not. So I would assume Gonzaga etc would not constitute a pro rata P5 addition.

Reactions: Cyclone Pfan

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
They have an obsession with the PAC since they’ve *almost* won two Rose Bowls the past few years.

Everything I've seen/heard from Utah fans bashing the Big 12 is mostly due to their hatred of BYU. They were thrilled to join the PAC and leave BYU behind and had a superiority complex to BYU over it. Now that narrative comes crashing down under current realignment rumors and media deals.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
AAAAannndddd...we are nearly to June...and still nothing substantive from the PAC on their media contract. I firmly believe that Wash and Oregon are looking for an unequal revenue solution for them to stay and that is really dorking up the contract negotiations. Or, it could be as simple as...these options suck and we are simply trying to augment (sell our souls) the main contract with supplementals just to get to a decent payout.

It just takes one school to flee and the house of cards fall.

June typically is a boring football month...not this year.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
AAAAannndddd...we are nearly to June...and still nothing substantive from the PAC on their media contract. I firmly believe that Wash and Oregon are looking for an unequal revenue solution for them to stay and that is really dorking up the contract negotiations. Or, it could be as simple as...these options suck and we are simply trying to augment (sell our souls) the main contract with supplementals just to get to a decent payout.

It just takes one school to flee and the house of cards fall.

June typically is a boring football month...not this year.
Put me down for "These options suck. The numbers are just good enough to keep the corner schools in the PAC, or there's a way to get WA and OR to where they need to be, but not both."

There's no reason for any of the corner schools to make the decision immediately, but they're running out of runway. Either a new deal is closed in the next month, or the B12 exodus is underway.