Jesuroga article

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
I don't follow it that closely, but who is the most successful college wrestler from the Sebolt stable? I know there was chatter about ISU needing to get an "in" with Sebolt and was just wondering.

Reactions: CyCity

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
“Wrestling taught me to work hard and how to perform at a high level,” Jesuroga says. “I’ll use that and always remember that, no matter what.”

I liked this part. Doesn't love wrestling enough anymore to compete at the level he needs to, but will still use the core values he learned from the sport. Good luck to him.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I don't follow it that closely, but who is the most successful college wrestler from the Sebolt stable? I know there was chatter about ISU needing to get an "in" with Sebolt and was just wondering.
So went back and looked at NCAA Championship AA since 2015 (nothing for 2020, Covid)
125 - Peters (UNI) 2016
133 - Clark (Iowa) 2015, 2016, 2017
141 - None from Iowa
149 - Blockhus (Minnesota) 2023
149 - Sorensen (Iowa) 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
149 - Thomsen (UNI) 2017
157 - None from Iowa
165 - Steiert (UNI) 2019
174 - Brands (Iowa) 2023
174 - Meyer (Iowa) 2016
184 - Coleman (Iowa State) 2022, 2023
184 - Foster (UNI) 2017, 2018
184 - Holschlag (UNI) 2018
184 &197 - Miklus (Mizz, Iowa State) 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019
197 - Sloan (SDSU) 2023
197 - Gadson (Iowa State) 2016
285 - Gremmel (Iowa State) 2021

So what non program did these guys wrestle for? Sebolt, Big Game, other or none

Last edited:

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

Some clarity. Near the end he talks about getting a concussion.
Concussions, and it sounds like his was pretty severe, are a game changer for some athletes. Its scary to think about the part that really makes you yourself changing in a traumatic and sudden way.

• Winner
Reactions: cyputz

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
Cory Clark would be the Golden Boy out of the program. Lots of prep success, but Cory Clark is really the only college standout off the top of my head. Lots of high hope for Schriever and Ayala coming out. Schriever not so much, but Ayala still has time. Other names would be like Jack Hathaway, Brody Teske, Willie Miklus, Bryce Stiert, Austin Yant, lots of underclassmen fresh in college currently. Dreshaun Ross may make a case for the top wrestler if he decides to wrestle instead of playing football.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
He had one of his club sites in the ISU room for a bit, didn't he? If that isn't enough of an in, there will never be one. Which, there will never be one.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
So far I don’t think there has been much. But the first really crop of Sebolt only starts with Schriever.

Ayala, Arnold, Keuter, Block are all up and coming. I personally think Ayala is going to be very good, and Keuter will be if he decides to wrestle.

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
the 4 all-americans this year from Iowa HS:

Nelson brands - started wrestling in middle school
Marcus Coleman - did not start wrestling until 5th or 6th grade?
Tanner Sloan - 1A kid, 4 sport athlete
Michael Blockus - wrestled at what is now Immortal growing up

It pays to play the long game. My opinion is that the current youth wrestling culture is partly why we see so many injuries and guys wrestling less matches in college. Some of these guys have literally thousands of matches under their belt before they enter college.

I wish Sebolt would have learned from his own career, i've heard there is more to the jesuroga story and there has been a partial exodus of guys leaving his club.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It pays to play the long game. My opinion is that the current youth wrestling culture is partly why we see so many injuries and guys wrestling less matches in college. Some of these guys have literally thousands of matches under their belt before they enter college.

There was a kid that had 150 matches in the last year that wrestled one of my friend's kids last year.

He was in 3rd grade.

• Sad

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
the 4 all-americans this year from Iowa HS:

Nelson brands - started wrestling in middle school
Marcus Coleman - did not start wrestling until 5th or 6th grade?
Tanner Sloan - 1A kid, 4 sport athlete
Michael Blockus - wrestled at what is now Immortal growing up

I wish Sebolt would have learned from his own career, i've heard there is more to the jesuroga story and there has been a partial exodus of guys leaving his club.
The dad of this guy told me he broke a thousand matches before HS.

• Sad

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
So far I don’t think there has been much. But the first really crop of Sebolt only starts with Schriever.

Ayala, Arnold, Keuter, Block are all up and coming. I personally think Ayala is going to be very good, and Keuter will be if he decides to wrestle.
Does Arnold really count as a Seabolt kid? He spent one year there after moving to Iowa City, but didn’t grow up in it like some of the other guys

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Best of luck to Nate and THANK YOU for wanting to serve our great country!

One question that I do have is IF Nate has a change of heart can he wrestle college for the Navy? I know he probably won't change his mind but I can't help but think of Austin Gomez who retired because of concussions and then had a change of heart and was able to come back and wrestle for Wisconsin. I'm just curious as to Nate's options if he has a similar change of heart.

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Best of luck to Nate and THANK YOU for wanting to serve our great country!

One question that I do have is IF Nate has a change of heart can he wrestle college for the Navy? I know he probably won't change his mind but I can't help but think of Austin Gomez who retired because of concussions and then had a change of heart and was able to come back and wrestle for Wisconsin. I'm just curious as to Nate's options if he has a similar change of heart.I
I don't think so. Navy athletes are enrolled at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD. It sounds like Nate will be enlisting, which is a separate career track from enrollment at the academy.

• Agree