NFL: Kansas City Chiefs Thread

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
JuJu not coming back to the Chiefs. Got a better deal from the Patriots. 3 years 33 million.
Seems like Hardman coming back is a possibility. Thielen has been linked to the Chiefs and apparently other WRs have been contacting Mahomes as well.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Chiefs are having an amazing offseason. You cannot sign all your veterans, especially not for the deals many of these role players are getting. Gotta draft smart and land some aging ring chasers. Landing your franchise LT and an underrated pass rusher for franchise friendly deals? Amazing.

Trust Vart Beach.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Chiefs are having an amazing offseason. You cannot sign all your veterans, especially not for the deals many of these role players are getting. Gotta draft smart and land some aging ring chasers. Landing your franchise LT and an underrated pass rusher for franchise friendly deals? Amazing.

Trust Vart Beach.

Boy I hope so. I would have never guessed that we would not resign any of our top free agents. Orlando Brown, Frank Clark, Juju Smith-Shuster, Juan Thornhill, Andrew Wylie all gone. CEH likely gone, which is fine.

Mecole Hardman, come on back on one year prove it deal?

Are we going to use the franchise tag at all?

Last edited:

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I think they go after a cheap veteran option with prior starting expirience. Who exactly that is I'm not sure but I don't see them settling for him as QB2 without at least exploring more expirienced options. The roster is built to win now and that is a lot of risk to go with a guy who hasn't taken a single snap in an NFL game yet.
Any XFL qbs that fit that mold?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Boy I hope so. I would have never guessed that we would not resign any of our top free agents. Orlando Brown, Frank Clark, Juju Smith-Shuster, Juan Thornhill, Andrew Wylie all gone. CEH likely gone, which is fine.

Mecole Hardman, come on back on one year prove it deal?

Are we going to use the franchise tag at all?
Personally I feel like Hardmans role is already covered with Toney and Moore. We should sign or draft a different type of receiver.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

Trust Vart Beach.
I've read that Jawaan Taylor is being look at as either LT or RT depending upon the draft.

They're comfortable with both, but if a good LT prospect falls in the draft they could move up to grab him and keep Taylor at RT while the LT is on a rookie deal. If that doesn't happen, they'll put him at LT and hope Kinnard or Niang can play RT.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Chiefs offered Brown Jr. a more than fair contract. Fine with him leaving, never thought he was worth what he was asking for. Funny he settled for less from Cinci. Chiefs had RB help OBJ a lot against speed rushers, and he played next to maybe the best guard in the game.

Gonna really enjoy the next KC/Cinci game. Chris Jones is going to absolutely feast.

Reminder why I am fine with OBjr walking: Orlando Brown Jr. Combine 2018

14 reps on the bench.

Reactions: Halincandenza

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

Trust Vart Beach.

I don't know about that.

Why in the world would you let a Pro Bowl left tackle leave only to sign a free agent player, one who has never played the position, for MORE money. And it's not like Taylor is viewed as a better player.

Paying AAV premium of 4 million a season is perplexing when you aren't bringing in a significantly better or younger player. It seems like a reach and a major overspend.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Chiefs offered Brown Jr. a more than fair contract. Fine with him leaving, never thought he was worth what he was asking for. Funny he settled for less from Cinci. Chiefs had RB help OBJ a lot against speed rushers, and he played next to maybe the best guard in the game.

Gonna really enjoy the next KC/Cinci game. Chris Jones is going to absolutely feast.

Reminder why I am fine with OBjr walking: Orlando Brown Jr. Combine 2018

14 reps on the bench.

Why are you fine with him leaving when they end up signing his replacement for significantly more money? "He was offered more than a fair contract".. but then the Chiefs pay his replacement an average of 4 million a year more than what he signed for elsewhere? That's poor cap management. And all for bringing in a player that may be worse than the one that left and has never played left tackle.

Maybe it works out in the end but I don't think you can call a good move regardless. You make decisions with what you know now and what we know is Brown played a premium position very well this year (after being somewhat shaky last year). He's basically the same age as Taylor and has been in your system and knows the plays and your quarterback. I get if you literally can't afford him and he leaves but signing a replacement for 20 million dollars doesn't signify that. Unless there is something I'm missing that's a horrendous move.

• Disagree

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I don't know about that.

Why in the world would you let a Pro Bowl left tackle leave only to sign a free agent player, one who has never played the position, for MORE money. And it's not like Taylor is viewed as a better player.

Paying AAV premium of 4 million a season is perplexing when you aren't bringing in a significantly better or younger player. It seems like a reach and a major overspend.
It’s because our coaches (and the rest of the NFL) evaluated Brown and Taylor differently than you, hence the deals each received. NFL sees Brown as a good RT average LT, and sees Taylor as an elite pass blocker.

Clearly the Chiefs like him more at LT than Brown. At this point, I trust Veach and Reid.

JohnPrineforCy

Feb 1, 2019
There are only 4 people on the Chiefs roster and Staff I would feel bad about losing. They have proven everyone else is replaceable and they can still win.

• Agree
Reactions: flander1649

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
Brown got a heavy dose of reality. He found out the rest of the league wasn't going to pay him anywhere close to what he thinks he is worth. He lost a lot of money from the deal the Chiefs offered last season. He wanted to test free agency and lost that gamble.

• Agree

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Why are you fine with him leaving when they end up signing his replacement for significantly more money? "He was offered more than a fair contract".. but then the Chiefs pay his replacement an average of 4 million a year more than what he signed for elsewhere? That's poor cap management. And all for bringing in a player that may be worse than the one that left and has never played left tackle.

Maybe it works out in the end but I don't think you can call a good move regardless. You make decisions with what you know now and what we know is Brown played a premium position very well this year (after being somewhat shaky last year). He's basically the same age as Taylor and has been in your system and knows the plays and your quarterback. I get if you literally can't afford him and he leaves but signing a replacement for 20 million dollars doesn't signify that. Unless there is something I'm missing that's a horrendous move.

Taylor is a much better pass blocker. Anyone that watched the Chiefs last year knows that Brown struggled with pass protection and Mahomes bailed him out of a ton of sacks. I'm not saying he is a better OL than Brown, but certainly will be a pass protection upgrade.

I'm sure the Chiefs would have preferred to sign Brown to the contract he picked up with the Bengals, but he didn't really give them that option. He thought he had all the leverage and was the top OL on the market. Veach called his bluff and came out with a younger, franchise tackle.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Taylor is a much better pass blocker. Anyone that watched the Chiefs last year knows that Brown struggled with pass protection and Mahomes bailed him out of a ton of sacks. I'm not saying he is a better OL than Brown, but certainly will be a pass protection upgrade.

I'm sure the Chiefs would have preferred to sign Brown to the contract he picked up with the Bengals, but he didn't really give them that option. He thought he had all the leverage and was the top OL on the market. Veach called his bluff and came out with a younger, franchise tackle.
THIS.

If you look at the Twitter comments you see stats comparing Taylor and Brown. They're not the same. Brown was constantly getting beat and Mahomes bailed him out on so many statistical sacks attributed to him.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor allowed a pressure rate of 2.5 which was third lowest among all NFL tackles. Brown allowed a pressure rate of 5.4 which was below average for left tackles.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Brown got a heavy dose of reality. He found out the rest of the league wasn't going to pay him anywhere close to what he thinks he is worth. He lost a lot of money from the deal the Chiefs offered last season. He wanted to test free agency and lost that gamble.
This right here. Brown sealed his own fate with his arrogance. Now, Veach can tell players he'll offer them a fair deal to stay with a perennial contender or roll the dice and cost themselves money like Brown.