Marvel Cinematic Universe

For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
"This is the must see movie to know whats going on with Phase 5!'

Highest second weekend drop of any Marvel movie. Even beating 2003's Hulk.

As much as I like Jonathan Major's Kang, the idea of watching him get defeated in 5+ more movies is going to get a little tiring.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
"This is the must see movie to know whats going on with Phase 5!'

Highest second weekend drop of any Marvel movie. Even beating 2003's Hulk.

As much as I like Jonathan Major's Kang, the idea of watching him get defeated in 5+ more movies is going to get a little tiring.
Id assume the heroes are gonna take a big L soon. Many of who we have come to love will die and stay dead. They will usher in new actors via alternate versions and add more characters that didn’t work before. Hopefully they get some solid writers to make it work. Kang is the reset.

CycloneEggie

Oct 28, 2011
MCU movies used to be appointment go on opening weekend for me. Saw Black Widow, Shang-Chi and Eternals in Theaters, not always opening weekend and for sure went to No-Way Home opening weekend, but since then waited. Daughter loves Black Panther so we saw that one in theaters, but waited until Disney+ for Dr. Strange, Thor and now will wait for Ant-Man. Its only a few months later and those movies have not been great despite the hype so I feel like I'm not missing much just waiting.

For contrast the family was way more hyped to see Maverick in Theaters and it was just a great experience that we saw it twice in Theaters. 4D was fun with that one at the local B&B in Ankeny

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Id assume the heroes are gonna take a big L soon. Many of who we have come to love will die and stay dead. They will usher in new actors via alternate versions and add more characters that didn’t work before. Hopefully they get some solid writers to make it work. Kang is the reset.
I hope they figure it out. They are going to have to do something. Marvel has created a situation where there are very little stakes to anything in this new multi-movie plot with Kang / the multiverse.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I liked the movie enough to have fun with it but damn this guy breaks down what a lot of folks have a problem with and I agree with it. The writing the last couple of phases just hasn’t been as tight and logical as the first few phases.

Spoilers abound if you haven’t seen it.

The Ryan George pitch meetings are some of my favorites.

• Agree
Reactions: bos

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Finally watched Wakanda Forever. Realize I’m late to the party. I avoid this thread until after I watch an MCU movie so I know as little as possible. What are peoples thoughts on it? Intially, I felt like it captured grief really well. I’m not a cryer at all, especially at movies, but one moment got me pretty good. I didn’t like how quickly and open ended I felt like they left everything. But I’m sure that was their intent.

I don’t expect a big convo since I’m super late to this one but I’m interested in peoples thoughts. I dug the film and dug the new BP more than I expected but I felt like I needed more in some places I can’t quite explain yet.

Reactions: CycloneErik

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Finally watched Wakanda Forever. Realize I’m late to the party. I avoid this thread until after I watch an MCU movie so I know as little as possible. What are peoples thoughts on it? Intially, I felt like it captured grief really well. I’m not a cryer at all, especially at movies, but one moment got me pretty good. I didn’t like how quickly and open ended I felt like they left everything. But I’m sure that was their intent.

I don’t expect a big convo since I’m super late to this one but I’m interested in peoples thoughts. I dug the film and dug the new BP more than I expected but I felt like I needed more in some places I can’t quite explain yet.

I'm with you. Overall quality movie but just didn't pack the punch you wanted to throughout. Loved Namor though.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Just saw Quantumania and I guess I really don’t get the negativity or poor reviews of this by so many. Was it a top-5 MCU masterpiece? Of course not. But it was fun, concise (which the MCU has been very bad with lately on these run times) and was a solid Ant Man movie.

I even thought the humor was pretty well done and aside from one time, it didn’t take me out of the moment.

Kang is a freaking badass, and Majors plays him so well. Excited to see him play Kang(s) as we go along.

CGI was fine and didn’t stand out at all to me unlike other MCU flicks.

MODOK was a tad ridiculous but he is ridiculous, so it was fine.

I think people are expecting something that may not exist with the MCU post Phase 3. Stick this movie during Phase 2 or 3 and it’s going to be well-received. The fatigue is definitely there because this movie was a solid B+ for me, and it’s comparable to many of the earlier MCU entries IMO.

One thing I will say is Marvel really needs to get back to making these post credit scenes exciting and really get people talking/wanting more. Some are ok, but most don’t have that pop anymore. And it doesn’t have to matter if we know things are already coming. It’s all about when you pull the trigger and how you do it.

For example, we all knew Thanos was coming and he was next after Age of Ultron, but damn how they shot that scene with him coming into focus, picking up the gauntlet and then saying, “Fine. I’ll do it myself.” was so damn good.

Pleased overall with this latest entry and looking forward to GOTG Vol. 3.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
To those commenting on the writing, apparently Feige has been snatching up Rick and Morty writers to pen the multiverse storylines, which explains a LOT of what we saw in Quantumania. It makes sense to hire writers experienced with another multiverse type of show that happens to be funny/quippy but I think it does explain the marked departure from Phase 3.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
To those commenting on the writing, apparently Feige has been snatching up Rick and Morty writers to pen the multiverse storylines, which explains a LOT of what we saw in Quantumania. It makes sense to hire writers experienced with another multiverse type of show that happens to be funny/quippy but I think it does explain the marked departure from Phase 3.
Well I hope it helps, personally I just feel quantumania was a big departure from the charm of the other two movies.

Last edited:

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Well I hope it helps, personally I just feel quantumania was a big departure from the charm of the other two movies.

Not saying it’s a good thing. I liked Rick and Morty for maybe the first two seasons but after awhile the quippy nature of the show started to wear down my appreciation. Just saying it definitely explains the tonal shift in dialogue.

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
1678306017869.png

Oooooof.
No wonder Disney is in full panic mode. I'm beginning to think The Marvels is going to end up on D+.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
View attachment 110504

Oooooof.
No wonder Disney is in full panic mode. I'm beginning to think The Marvels is going to end up on D+.

IMO, the drop-off was inevitable. They captured a lot of casual fans initially with phases 1-3, but the super-hero genre isn't "new" anymore. Couple that with the finality of Endgame, the over-saturation of Disney+ shows and less-than-stellar writing, and interest is bound to wane.

I'm curious to see if the trend continues or if they can rebound. The earlier movies followed a formula that we kind of over-looked because of the great characters. The newer ones are trying to follow the same formula, but the characters just aren't that familiar yet. Additionally, we're now comparing them to Infinity War versus Thor Dark World.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm curious to see if the trend continues or if they can rebound. The earlier movies followed a formula that we kind of over-looked because of the great characters. The newer ones are trying to follow the same formula, but the characters just aren't that familiar yet. Additionally, we're now comparing them to Infinity War versus Thor Dark World.

I think this is the bigger issue. Phase 5 has a lot of characters that are new and people are largely unfamiliar with. Not to mention, many of them are based from comics that didn't sell and were canned several years ago.

Help Support Us

Become a patron