Outgoing transfer tracker

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I like how he said we let him chase him dreams, dude did a lot of chasing, unfortunately he was a safety and that isn't good at that position.
I’ll always remember mason chambers had a massive tackle against Texas in either 2021 or 2020 on third down. But we will be ok there’s talent at safety - I’m excited for Malik Verdon Howard and cooper. And we know Freyler can be a leader next year

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The problem is, we don’t have a 6’6 270 guy on our team who’s ready to step into that Soehner role and the closest thing to that is? Jared Rus.

I think Burkle is going to fit that role in his time at ISU and maybe even Tyler Moore but I think his game is more like Charlie’s

This year they were kind of hamstrung with the players on the roster. They had two TEs that couldn't block and the young guys weren't ready. So, they depended on Rus, who was more of a big RB/FB. That's fine in spots, but he's not going to seal the edge and he makes things kind of predictable because of that. Having a guy who is just a lead blocker in the shotgun flat out doesn't work. Especially with dinged up RBs and a porous OL. If you're going to do that, you need to go under center and play more pro-style.

Moving forward, they need to find that 6'6 270 guy that is mobile, can lead block, can seal the edge and go out and catch a pass. That adds some versatility and takes away some of the predictability. If that's Burkle, great. If not, then they need to hit the portal. To me, Tyler Moore is kind of in the Chase Allen mold. Burkle is the next Soehner, Keller is more like Kolar. The big question is whether those guys are ready to play next fall or not, because we absolutely cannot depend on Hannika and Dean to help in the run game. They are split out TEs in the Charlie role.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
My solution would be to have another WR/TE split out, spread out the defense, remove a man from the box. Just because there is another WR on the field, does not mean we can't run from that formation.
Certainly would have been worth trying.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
We needed to be more pass heavy?? When our QB threw more picks in conference than he did TDs? Lol
You really don’t understand football do you? It’s ok I had to learn it as my life went on. I learned more things I had no idea about by listening to those that do know. I will take their word over yours. Have a great day.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
You really don’t understand football do you? It’s ok I had to learn it as my life went on. I learned more things I had no idea about by listening to those that do know. I will take their word over yours. Have a great day.
We can't be more pass heavy when you don't have a run game. You have to be able to open up the passing game and you do that by averaging more than 3.3 yards on the ground which was 117th in the nation this year.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
We can't be more pass heavy when you don't have a run game. You have to be able to open up the passing game and you do that by averaging more than 3.3 yards on the ground which was 117th in the nation this year.

I'm not sure I agree. The problem was that whatever play was called, we were predictable and the OL couldn't block for just about any of them. There aren't a lot of great pass plays that only take 1.5 seconds to develop, assuming that the QB can be accurate in that amount of time.

We go to run the ball, go in a heavy-set so everyone knows what's next (because we sure can't run with 5 or 6 blockers), and we don't check out of the inside run when there's 9 or even 10 in the run box.

And don't get me started about the QB-run game. :mccaffery:

Reactions: cyclonehomer

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I'm not sure I agree. The problem was that whatever play was called, we were predictable and the OL couldn't block for just about any of them. There aren't a lot of great pass plays that only take 1.5 seconds to develop, assuming that the QB can be accurate in that amount of time.

We go to run the ball, go in a heavy-set so everyone knows what's next (because we sure can't run with 5 or 6 blockers), and we don't check out of the inside run when there's 9 or even 10 in the run box.

And don't get me started about the QB-run game. :mccaffery:
The OL is def where it starts. Hence the 3.3 yards per rush.

Dekkers accuracy wasn't really a problem. 66% completion percentage which is 24th in the nation and averaged just over 10 yards per throw.

We couldn't even run the ball when the defense would put 4/5 guys in the box. They knew that and would just drop into coverage where Dekkers would sit back there, with not enough time, and then check it down or get sacked.

It all starts up front.

Amac12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 21, 2020

Tulane's offense averaged 34 ppg this season. Jim Svoboda would be on a short list for me. This program was also terrible just a few years ago.

He is also from Denison Iowa. Intriguing.
Jim's wife worked for me for several years. He's had really good offenses at all levels. Afraid that ship sailed with his move to Tulane. Should have went after him two years ago. He really thought he was going to be on original Rhoads staff.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Updated list on the OP.

Chambers will have 2 years of eligibility (Sr year + covid year) at another school, unless I'm mistaken. He was a good depth piece, but not irreplaceable, and wasn't going to jump to the top of the depth chart for what would have been his senior season as a Cyclone next year.

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
Lmao! I know football. And your takes aren’t it

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jctisu

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I feel like we're going to see quite a few more players hit the portal. If you look at the roster, you can see upperclassmen that aren't playing much or even RS Sophs that have been passed up by underclassmen. Those guys are most likely gone and it's probably a good thing for both parties. We clear some space to get players in the portal and they transfer to a lower level to get more playing time.

Wouldn't surprise me if we see 10+ players in the portal by January and possibly another 5 after spring practice.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The OL is def where it starts. Hence the 3.3 yards per rush.

Dekkers accuracy wasn't really a problem. 66% completion percentage which is 24th in the nation and averaged just over 10 yards per throw.

We couldn't even run the ball when the defense would put 4/5 guys in the box. They knew that and would just drop into coverage where Dekkers would sit back there, with not enough time, and then check it down or get sacked.

It all starts up front.

He averaged 6.7 yards per throw.