Outgoing transfer tracker

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
The problem is that having a fullback in shotgun makes you predictable. What you need is someone like Soehner who can not only lead block, but seal the edge AND be a threat in the passing game. The staff should have been finding guys like that way earlier than when they signed Burkle.
The problem is, we don’t have a 6’6 270 guy on our team who’s ready to step into that Soehner role and the closest thing to that is? Jared Rus.

I think Burkle is going to fit that role in his time at ISU and maybe even Tyler Moore but I think his game is more like Charlie’s

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
Sounds good, until you realize that Rus whiffed on a lot of blocks. At that point, putting a wide out on the field and just running off a defender would be more productive than bringing another body in who is going to miss blocks.
No you’re right, we should have just completely said “forget it, why bother?” to the run game and stuck another wide out on the field and let our INT happy throwing QB attempt 10-15 more passes a game. What a recipe for success

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
No you’re right, we should have just completely said “forget it, why bother?” to the run game and stuck another wide out on the field and let our INT happy throwing QB attempt 10-15 more passes a game. What a recipe for success
Not even close to what I said, lol. Explain to me how running someone off equals saying to pass the ball. I’m at a loss for how you arrived at this from my post.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
You ok? Do you know Jared personally or something? Serious question, I am not trying to be a jerk, I am just trying to figure out why this is the hill you are dying on. Rus was not very good this year, and what he does do (not his fault at all because it's what the coaches design) is tips our hand on our running plays. It's been talked about ad nauseum on the Iowa Everywhere podcasts.

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
Not even close to what I said, lol. Explain to me how running someone off equals saying to pass the ball. I’m at a loss for how you arrived at this from my post.
So you think, with how terrible our OL is, trying to run the ball without extra help in a lead blocker, is better than having Rus back there even if he misses..we’ll be extreme, and say 50% of his blocks?

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
You ok? Do you know Jared personally or something? Serious question, I am not trying to be a jerk, I am just trying to figure out why this is the hill you are dying on. Rus was not very good this year, and what he does do (not his fault at all because it's what the coaches design) is tips our hand on our running plays. It's been talked about ad nauseum on the Iowa Everywhere podcasts.
Outside of X, who was very good this year?

He caught the same amount of balls this year as he did last year.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Outside of X, who was very good this year?

He caught the same amount of balls this year as he did last year.
You are avoiding the question. What they have Rus do in our offensive scheme shows the defense what play we are running, especially when we run any motion. Ben Bruns has broken this down so many times. So yes, having him as a lead blocker/extra blocker is actually hurting us because he can't effectively do his job from the get go since the defense knows exactly where we are going. There's no secret we always have this thought that the defense seems to know exactly where our plays are going in the run game. They do, and that's the problem. So until they can fix their scheme, Jared is worthless as a blocker unless he is ELITE. Which he is not.

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
You are avoiding the question. What they have Rus do in our offensive scheme shows the defense what play we are running, especially when we run any motion. Ben Bruns has broken this down so many times. So yes, having him as a lead blocker/extra blocker is actually hurting us because he can't effectively do his job from the get go since the defense knows exactly where we are going. There's no secret we always have this thought that the defense seems to know exactly where our plays are going in the run game. They do, and that's the problem. So until they can fix their scheme, Jared is worthless as a blocker unless he is ELITE. Which he is not.
So your solution is…?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
So you think, with how terrible our OL is, trying to run the ball without extra help in a lead blocker, is better than having Rus back there even if he misses..we’ll be extreme, and say 50% of his blocks?
You aren’t extreme with 50%. May be spot on. The spread offense is designed to pull people out of the box and effectively take them out of the play by forcing them to cover them. Is it better to 8 in the box with a guy who missed his blocks many times or have 7 in the box and more space for the back to work with?

You have to have a connection to him because you are the only one saying he did a good job this year.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
So your solution is…?
The same solution EVERYONE has been asking for. A much better offensive scheme, with correct blocking assignments on the line. Then maybe Rus can flourish. But the O-line is so bad, both by design and actual play, that pulling an extra defender in with Rus is just making it even more square peg/round hole.

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
You aren’t extreme with 50%. May be spot on. The spread offense is designed to pull people out of the box and effectively take them out of the play by forcing them to cover them. Is it better to 8 in the box with a guy who missed his blocks many times or have 7 in the box and more space for the back to work with?

You have to have a connection to him because you are the only one saying he did a good job this year.
I never once said he did a good job this year. I just said in a previous post outside of X who was good this year?

With how horrible the OL was, it didn’t matter if we spaced the defense out, we wouldn’t have been able to run any better. In fact, we probably would have been even worse in the run game

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
The same solution EVERYONE has been asking for. A much better offensive scheme, with correct blocking assignments on the line. Then maybe Rus can flourish. But the O-line is so bad, both by design and actual play, that pulling an extra defender in with Rus is just making it even more square peg/round hole.
Right. So without firing Myers and Manning mid season and scrapping the playbook, what did you want them to do?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Rus as an extra blocker was just one more deck chair on the Titanic. The scheme and poor execution was not overcomeable by adding one more guy.

It reminds me of the Rhoads years when they would bring in like 4 extra blockers to pass protect, and somehow they still couldnt get protect enough to find the one receiver running a pattern, but couldnt understand why it wasnt working.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Right. So without firing Myers and Manning mid season and scrapping the playbook, what did you want them to do?
Adapt to their players, which they claim they do. They absolutely needed to be more pass heavy, and in that Texas game, they showed the offense we needed with this group. The offense with this personnel and line as never going to light the world on fire, but what they did in Austin was what they should have been looking like from a schematic standpoint. So they did have that scheme and philosophy in there, but they really only brought it out for a couple of games.

What I am saying is I think Rus can be and is a good enough player, BUT he was set up for failure in this offense this year without a Breece Hall or safety valves at TE. The coaches were just too stubborn to try something new. Even being run-focused, we still threw a ton of interceptions, so it didn't matter to bring an extra defender down to then give the passing game more space.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
Adapt to their players, which they claim they do. They absolutely needed to be more pass heavy, and in that Texas game, they showed the offense we needed with this group. The offense with this personnel and line as never going to light the world on fire, but what they did in Austin was what they should have been looking like from a schematic standpoint. So they did have that scheme and philosophy in there, but they really only brought it out for a couple of games.
We needed to be more pass heavy?? When our QB threw more picks in conference than he did TDs? Lol

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

What I am saying is I think Rus can be and is a good enough player, BUT he was set up for failure in this offense this year without a Breece Hall or safety valves at TE. The coaches were just too stubborn to try something new. Even being run-focused, we still threw a ton of interceptions, so it didn't matter to bring an extra defender down to then give the passing game more space.
Brock and Norton going down was a disaster for our run game also. They leaned heavy on Silas who just wasn’t the kind of back that would do well in that situation.

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We desperately need to bring in 2-3 starters for the OL this offseason. Which is most likely impossible to do.

On top of that, the entire offensive scheme needs a complete overhaul too. If Manning won’t do that, then he’s gotta go…. along with Myers.
One may be possible. Don’t think any more is. Every team wants more Oline help.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Did ISU ever have lineman pull and lead?
We did. I rememeber one of the last few games we had the right guard pulling to the left, but we ran the ball to right. completely defeating the purpose of pulling a guard.

Reactions: CascadeClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron