Tre King Differentiator?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
Last year, we needed every minute we could get out of a big. This year, the combos of Kunc/Ward and Jones/Osun have done relatively well at the 4/5 spots, but we really need a wing who can consistently (heck, I'd take 33-35% 3P%) hit the three.

What are we getting when Tre King joins the rotation next week?

I see him as more of a post with some wing skills (3/4 combo) than a true wing who can consistently shoot the 3. Am I off base in that?

What is his differentiator compared with Kunc/Ward (and to a lesser extent Robert/Osun)?

Will he rebound / defend better than Kunc but be able to shoot/drive/post better than Ward?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
King is too good to keep off the floor. Between Osun, King, Kunc, Ward, and Jones the 4/5 positions will be in great shape, and foul trouble won’t be as big on an issue like it normally would be there. Guys should be fresh, and all add some different elements. Might get away with King playing a little 3, especially if guards get into foul trouble.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Last year, we needed every minute we could get out of a big. This year, the combos of Kunc/Ward and Jones/Osun have done relatively well at the 4/5 spots, but we really need a wing who can consistently (heck, I'd take 33-35% 3P%) hit the three.

I see him as more of a post with some wing skills (3/4 combo) than a true wing who can consistently shoot the 3. Am I off base in that?

What is his differentiator compared with Kunc/Ward (and to a lesser extent Robert/Osun)?

Will he rebound / defend better than Kunc but be able to shoot/drive/post better than Ward?
I guess I am expecting kind of an undersized 4 that can hit a jumper. Maybe something like Watson with a little more size to him and less perimeter skill. Not exactly what we need, but he can't hurt. I'd love to have a really good wing sitting out right now.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Tre’s game reminds me of a bit of a hybrid between Mike Jacobson and Cam Lard. He’s like Mike because he can be used in the PnR/pop action and he likes catching the ball at the high post / short corner, sizing his guy up, and knocking down the 15 footer.

He’s like Cam because he’s got an extremely high motor, he’s long, and is a very good athlete. I actually think he’s more in control than Cam was too. We’ll see if his 3 point % goes down from his senior year (34%) but if he could live around that it’d be huge for us.

Now, all of the above is based off of his past years at a lower level, but he’s supposedly been really good in practices.

Reactions: DrCC and isutrevman

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'd kill for a Chris Babb coming in at semester. Or better yet a dog like Shayock.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

I think he gives us a guy that will give us another option at the 4 and a better option at the 3 when we go big.

I see a 9 man rotation with Eli and Watson getting situational minutes. Watson more so than Eli. But no, I don't think Eli is a bust.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Hopefully he likes to rebound as we need that in the quiver.