Lipsey Shoutout

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022
He just has "it". Basketball instincts. Incredible defender for his age. Poise out the ass. Honestly better than freshman Hunter.
I've been thinking this also. There hasn't been much to go off yet this year but from what I've seen I like him better than I did Hunter. This tournament gave us some insight to what he is capable of. It's unfortunate he has been thrust into the starting PG spot. I think he would have benefited immensely learning behind Williams. Just like Monte with Kane. Either way he is a lot more cautious with the ball than Hunter was. I remember several times last year thinking Hunter was to wild, out of control, and careless with the ball. Lipsey is more what I would want in a PG. May not be the huge scoring threat but if he could grow into a 10 point per game threat he could be a stat stuffer ala NWB.

Reactions: Cjreimer

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
And he is a turnover machine, wait... not getting turnovers, committing them. But he will get better.
Seems a little harsh. He had a bad game against Villanova, but still had a major impact at the end despite that. The rest haven't been that bad. Never more than 2 outside of Villanova and over a 2-1 A:TO ratio on the season. Pretty good for a freshman who is asked to run point.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
He was the only one I felt comfortable with bringing up the ball on the press. He doesn’t flinch. Quickly has become a favorite. He found points of attack on that defense. Had to laugh at half when their coach cited their poor defense of him but he got their attention anyway.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I honestly didn't know he had that extra gear. He played really fast in that game and I was really impressed. We didn't really have the athletes to hang with UConn outside of him and Osun so that was great to see.

I agree with those that see a young Monte. Hopefully he can match his success on the court and at the next level.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Seems a little harsh. He had a bad game against Villanova, but still had a major impact at the end despite that. The rest haven't been that bad. Never more than 2 outside of Villanova and over a 2-1 A:TO ratio on the season. Pretty good for a freshman who is asked to run point.

We got spoiled with Haliburton and Morris. You'd take this A/TO ratio from most seniors.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
He’s at 2.2 now. We will see how he holds up through conference play, but Hunter was barely over 1 last year (he’s at 0.9 this year). Obviously Lipsey isn’t scoring much so far.

Not really fair for Lipsey to be compared to Hunter, but I suppose that’s always going to be there. They are definitely very different players.

As for his outside shot, his form is perfectly fine. He didn’t shoot it well in HS, but he didn’t shoot it much.

The kid is really high effort, high IQ, calm, smooth and has a below the rim explosiveness on par with the best in the conference.

Ayagi

Sep 27, 2021
Dude can fly and has a high motor. Let’s hope NIL doesn’t get in the way, though.
Commentator: So the odds of a specific person being struck by debris from space is on the order of 1 in a trillion.

The Biebs:

giphy.gif

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
One thing that stood out to me last night watching Tamin was how well he switches gears on his drives. How many times did Wigginton and Hunter just put their head down and barrel full speed to the rim? Which usually ended in a charge, turnover, or out of control shot. Tamin remains controlled and uses speed changes to lose his defender and get clean looks. He reminds me of a polished WR running a stutter/go or sluggo route

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I'm hoping by the end of the year to see him shoot an outside shot. For all I know, it is probably a two handed set shot.
I think we are in the middle of a mechanics change for him. Wonder if the staff did the same for Hunter with him now shooting at a 40+ clip at Texas.

Jriddge28

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 19, 2020
Just a one game sampling, but his ability to finish at the rim this early is impressive. If he develops a respectable shot to keep the defense honest, he’s going to be very good.

Reactions: isutrevman

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
One thing that stood out to me last night watching Tamin was how well he switches gears on his drives. How many times did Wigginton and Hunter just put their head down and barrel full speed to the rim? Which usually ended in a charge, turnover, or out of control shot. Tamin remains controlled and uses speed changes to lose his defender and get clean looks. He reminds me of a polished WR running a stutter/go or sluggo route
That’s by far Tamins biggest asset. He can absolutely abuse defenders if he learns how to use that tool (that and if he can develop a semblance of a 3 pt shot so they have to guard him).

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
He does a great job. I hope he can work on his three point shooting. They are daring him a lot of times to take a 3 can he won't take it. Not sure if he has a bad shot or just being a freshman not wanting to mess up. He kind of has a Justice Thigpen type game minus the three point shooting.