An old North Carolina memory

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
I remember watching this game and thinking that Iowa State was cooked after a fairly convincing run my UNC. Then they just kept churning and chipping their way back. The tying 3-dagger by Naz (and frankly, a spot on pass by MVP Kane) was amazingly. The temper tantrum by Roy… Chef’s kiss.

Those were some golden days of the Hoiberg era.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I remember watching this game and thinking that Iowa State was cooked after a fairly convincing run my UNC. Then they just kept churning and chipping their way back. The tying 3-dagger by Naz (and frankly, a spot on pass by MVP Kane) was amazingly. The temper tantrum by Roy… Chef’s kiss.

Those were some golden days of the Hoiberg era.

The games were never, ever over.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Damn, that game feels like it was just yesterday sometimes. Maybe I’m wrong, but I have to think that if we get past UCONN that was our year. Only other team with better odds would have been what- 2000?
"If" Niang didn't get hurt, that would have been a very deep run, we were a dangerous team peaking at the right time. We beat UNC without Niang, and gave Uconn all they could handle.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Wild they beat NC without Niang. Man that team was loaded.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Damn, that game feels like it was just yesterday sometimes. Maybe I’m wrong, but I have to think that if we get past UCONN that was our year. Only other team with better odds would have been what- 2000?

The field was wide open and they likely aren't favored the rest of the way but they may had a chance.

It helped that one of UNC's big men went out.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
48-28 to 48-50. I’m not old enough to have experienced the first run of Hilton magic, but that game is the first one I think of when you talk about Hilton Magic.
I’m not sure of the genesis of Hilton Magic, but here’s one a few decades earlier. Freddie was a part of this one as a player. The noise in Hilton was unbelievable.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I’m not sure of the genesis of Hilton Magic, but here’s one a few decades earlier. Freddie was a part of this one as a player. The noise in Hilton was unbelievable.

I believe Hilton Magic was coined after a win over a highly ranked Mizzou team a few years earlier. I know it predates player-Fred.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I was at this game in San Antonio and what a win after the crushing news that niang was injured