Thanksgiving specialties

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I use to deep fry the turkey every year outside on a propane setup. Good excuse to sit outside and drink some beer with my brother while I kept an eye on the fryer. A few years back my dad bought an electric indoor fryer for the turkey. Kind of removes the element of danger which makes it a little less fun IMO.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Hosting, brining turkey injecting turkey frying turkey. Making other items as well.

CyclonePigskin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2010
DSM
Scalloped oysters, scalloped corn and a jello recipe my mother clipped from the Des Moines Tribune in the ‘50’s or ‘60’s attributed to Mamie Eisenhower. It has been a Thanksgiving tradition since then.

Reactions: NWICY

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Janny is being generous when saying he only does “most” of the cooking.
I can make a mean relish tray, if so inclined. Usually my contribution is cleaning.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I make killer pumpkin bars with home made cream cheese frosting.
I've yet to have a pumpkin bar that beats my grandma's, I eat those things til my stomach hurts. Going to take my first stab at making them for a Friendsgiving next week. Her recipe also includes home made cream cheese frosting.

Reactions: NWICY and cytor

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
Scalloped Corn & Oysters - My mom would make this every year for holiday meals. Now that we've taken over preparing those meals, my sister and I have continued the tradition.

Pineapple Cheesecake - My husband's grandmother would make this every year. She died in 1986 and for years his family would comment on how they missed it. I was able to get ahold of her recipe and became the favorite sister-in-law in the family. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
My wife works with a person that deep fries turkey. The first year they tried it:
1) heated up the oil
2) dropped turkey in the oil
3) hot oil spilled out the sides
4) caught their wood deck on fire and managed to burn their house down.

They have not made that mistake since.

CyclonePigskin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2010
DSM
Scalloped Corn & Oysters - My mom would make this every year for holiday meals. Now that we've taken over preparing those meals, my sister and I have continued the tradition.

Pineapple Cheesecake - My husband's grandmother would make this every year. She died in 1986 and for years his family would comment on how they missed it. I was able to get ahold of her recipe and became the favorite sister-in-law in the family. :)
Curious: Does your mom make a corn and oyster recipe? Mine are separate dishes.

Same story as your Pineapple Cheesecake with my Eisenhower Salad. Mom made it every year until she couldn’t and I made it in the 20+ years since. After a big Thanksgiving a decade or so back, my 2nd cousin in MN started making it for her family.

Reactions: Angie

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
My wife works with a person that deep fries turkey. The first year they tried it:
1) heated up the oil

The bigger question is, how did turkey turn out and do you have to have a special kind of insurance for that mistake.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The bigger question is, how did turkey turn out and do you have to have a special kind of insurance for that mistake.
Believe it or not.... their insurance carrier paid the claim. Stupidity is covered sometimes.

• Haha

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
1) heated up the oil

...because they're dead

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
What is your best contribution to your Thanksgiving celebration?

Is it a particular dish that you make very well?
Is it a specific drink?
Do you set the table better than anyone else?
Or do you best contribute by staying out of the way, eating too much, and passing out watching football?

In our house, I do most of the cooking. And on Thanksgiving one of the dishes I like to make is mashed potatoes. I don't have a standard recipe, and instead will try different things. I've done mashed, skin on, red potatoes with boursin. I've done traditional russets with butter and cream. This year, l'm trying a method suggested by a friend of mine who went to culinary school, using Yukon Gold potatoes, putting them through a ricer and whisking in what seems to be an insane amount of cold butter, while over a double boiler. The end result is supposed to be spectacular, but we'll see.

Smoked turkey. Any other method of preparing turkey is inferior. If you don't smoke your turkey, or order a smoked turkey, you should start.

• Winner
Reactions: Angie and arobb

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
Curious: Does your mom make a corn and oyster recipe? Mine are separate dishes.

Same story as your Pineapple Cheesecake with my Eisenhower Salad. Mom made it every year until she couldn’t and I made it in the 20+ years since. After a big Thanksgiving a decade or so back, my 2nd cousin in MN started making it for her family.
The corn & oysters are in the same dish. Is that what you mean? I’d be happy to share the recipe!

• Wow

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm smoking the Turkey. Brine -> Inject -> Rub-> Smoke. I am giving it the business. Going to have to start it at about 3:30a to have it ready for the 1:30p feeding. Any other fools up that early tomorrow?

My wife's jalepeno green bean casserole is the real star of the show though. It is a battle to be first in line for it.