Thanksgiving specialties

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
What is your best contribution to your Thanksgiving celebration?

Is it a particular dish that you make very well?
Is it a specific drink?
Do you set the table better than anyone else?
Or do you best contribute by staying out of the way, eating too much, and passing out watching football?

In our house, I do most of the cooking. And on Thanksgiving one of the dishes I like to make is mashed potatoes. I don't have a standard recipe, and instead will try different things. I've done mashed, skin on, red potatoes with boursin. I've done traditional russets with butter and cream. This year, l'm trying a method suggested by a friend of mine who went to culinary school, using Yukon Gold potatoes, putting them through a ricer and whisking in what seems to be an insane amount of cold butter, while over a double boiler. The end result is supposed to be spectacular, but we'll see.

Reactions: Dowwmeow and NWICY

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie! Heading out to gather the ingredients in a little bit.

Since we don't live by family, we've done small gatherings with friends in similar situations the past three years running. I'm tasked with cooking since I refuse to leave Thanksgiving in the hands of a vegan (my otherwise wonderful wife).

Reactions: Angie and Dowwmeow

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I used to host Christmas so never had to do too much for Thanksgiving. Usually a simple thing like the green bean casserole or parsleyed potatoes.

Now I only open the jar of pickled beets because someone usually 'forgets' to serve them. And that's one of those old family things I kind of need for it to feel Thanksgiving-y.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angie and NWICY

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
We host wife's side of the fam every year, total of 16. I do the turkey and a green been casserole salad, wife does her magical potato salad, cranberries, butter garlic mushrooms for an app. Others bring stuffing, mashed potatoes, rolls, etc. I also make a hot apple cider recipe in the slow cooker spiked with Crown Royal Apple that's a crowd pleaser. Love Thanksgiving.

Reactions: Angie

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
What is your best contribution to your Thanksgiving celebration?

Is it a particular dish that you make very well?
Is it a specific drink?
Do you set the table better than anyone else?
Or do you best contribute by staying out of the way, eating too much, and passing out watching football?

In our house, I do most of the cooking. And on Thanksgiving one of the dishes I like to make is mashed potatoes. I don't have a standard recipe, and instead will try different things. I've done mashed, skin on, red potatoes with boursin. I've done traditional russets with butter and cream. This year, l'm trying a method suggested by a friend of mine who went to culinary school, using Yukon Gold potatoes, putting them through a ricer and whisking in what seems to be an insane amount of cold butter, while over a double boiler. The end result is supposed to be spectacular, but we'll see.
Those will be spectacular. A ricer is the key to fluffy potatoes

• Informative
Reactions: Angie and Mr Janny

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
We have our Thanksgiving meal in the evening so during the day we have snacks and appetizers. My contribution is smoked salmon. I use the technique and recipe of Alton Brown. It is very much worth the work and time if you like that sort of thing.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
The first time my father smoked the turkey my life changed forever.
I’m not a big turkey guy but the local restaurant my friend runs had a Thanksgiving bowl as their special today. Mashed potatoes, corn, stuffing, and smoked turkey that was ******* incredible. If all turkey tasted like that I would change my tune entirely

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Typically, I do the turkey, but I don't think anything about my technique is innovative. A few details might elevate it a little, but not noticeably.

Another family member is doing the turkey this year, due to some of my work schedule uncertainty this week. I'm thankful for that.

I also have done a from-scratch slow-cooker stuffing that seemed to get good reviews. But in recent years, I realized boxed works well enough, so I got lazy/lazier.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
It's just been me the past 6 or so thanksgivings so if I do something, it's all on me.

Prior to that when at my parents, me and my brothers min contribution to thanksgiving was simply being sous chefs for my mom. It was not uncommon for us to be sitting at the kitchen counter and just being given prep tasks while we were sitting there. We'd also handle all the setup and tear down.

Other Thanksgiving weekend responsibilities included getting stupidly heavy christmas tree stand out of attic, and manhandling the tree around (way easier for the 6'0 and 6'2 20 somethings to handle an 11' tree)

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I’m not a big turkey guy but the local restaurant my friend runs had a Thanksgiving bowl as their special today. Mashed potatoes, corn, stuffing, and smoked turkey that was ******* incredible. If all turkey tasted like that I would change my tune entirely
The first time my father smoked the turkey my life changed forever.

This will be my 3rd year smoking one - highly recommend spatch-cocking the bird first. Cooks very evenly and doesn't take as long. Turkey has turned out amazing each time, probably hard to mess up too bad.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
This will be my 3rd year smoking one - highly recommend spatch-cocking the bird first. Cooks very evenly and doesn't take as long. Turkey has turned out amazing each time, probably hard to mess up too bad.
Honestly, I don't think it's terribly difficult to make a decent turkey. Just too many people buy a bird and throw it in in the oven without any thought and proceed to over cook it.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Honestly, I don't think it's terribly difficult to make a decent turkey. Just too many people buy a bird and throw it in in the oven without any thought and proceed to over cook it.
Agree. I oven roast mine. Brine for two days, lots of compound butter under the skin, higher heat/shorter time, loosely foil after the skin has browned, check temp early and often, let rest minimum 20 mins. It was intimidating the first few years but I've been doing it over a decade now so it's just routine.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
My wife and I don’t really like turkey so we’re just making steak and I couldn’t be happier

• Friendly

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The wife’s family always has kringla and lutefisk.
MIL used to have this, effing lutefisk. Growing up With mostly german heritage, lefse is like a potato pancake so we would butter it and warm it up and eat it. First time I had my MILs, my teeth hurt because I found out that they use it as a sugar transporting mechanism. Like 4 tablespoons of sugar on it or something.

We brought some lutefisk home one day and I just tossed it out for the dog to eat. Saw her eating a little, about an hour later it was licking its butthole to try to get the taste out of its mouth.