Makes you want to eat at home...

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Not clicking the link. Don't want to know. I've known enough people in the food industry to hear some horrible ****. Even worked in a restaurant for a while. I'm in willfull denial about the whole thing.

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
Shows like Gordon Ramsey’s Kitchen Nightmares and John Taffer’s Bar Rescue show these types of violations on every episode so I am not surprised by reading this

Reactions: agentbear and MJ29

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Talk about your scary Halloween reading material …

Most of these restaurants are mentioned as having their last inspections as far back as 2018 or even 2016. That seems less than optimal. Also, the Cedar Rapids McDonalds they cited is in a brand-new building and literally just opened … and they already have sinks that don’t work?

Reactions: wxman1

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Talk about your scary Halloween reading material …

Most of these restaurants are mentioned as having their last inspections as far back as 2018 or even 2016. That seems less than optimal. Also, the Cedar Rapids McDonalds they cited is in a brand-new building and literally just opened … and they already have sinks that don’t work?
Just like their ice cream machines...

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
can't say im shocked that most of those locations are ethnic food places.

center grove orchard!? as someone who lives out in the country the flies around this time are very hard to contain because its getting cold so i'll give them a little slack

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Shows like Gordon Ramsey’s Kitchen Nightmares and John Taffer’s Bar Rescue show these types of violations on every episode so I am not surprised by reading this

Restaurant Impossible with Robert Irvine too. There have been some episodes where he walks into the kitchen or the bar area and finds multiple health and food safety violations within seconds and the owners wonder why they have a failing business. My eyes wander around a lot more at places I eat now after I got into watching that show as how often do you look around and notice things like dirty air vents or neglected furniture or upkeep in general. If they aren't taking care of the dining area imagine what is going on in the kitchen.

I'm not surprised to see some of the ones on the list as some of them have been on this list before.

• Agree
Reactions: MJ29 and SCNCY

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Lmao!! Just read the article, I had a feeling some of these restaurants were serving fish out of the Saylorville spillway.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We basically only eat in restaurants when traveling out of necessity. I had too many waitressing jobs working to pay for college to have much trust in the process. Even when traveling, no soup, chili, or salad bar. Seen too much.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Currently, there are five levels of food safety risk, from very low to very high. The change in inspections will occur in the low-level category. One example would be a bar where frozen pizza is served to patrons. None of the other categories where food is prepared in a kitchen will see a change in inspections.

Risk Level 2 (low risk): Inspected every five years, although inspectors can increase the number of visits if deemed necessary. These are sandwich shops that don’t cook, snack bars, convenience stores and pizzerias that use pre-cooked ingredients. Examples: Subway, Costco, Cinnabon, Dunkin’ Donuts, Domino’s, Firehoude Subs, Five Guys, Jimmy John’s and Papa Murphy’s.

I don't know about you, but I've seen some sub places. 5 years is a long time to not have food storage checked.

Last edited by a moderator:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not as drastic as you think. I do the math in my head often. If you want to eat healthy fresh food it's not as clear cut.

Granted it's frozen stuff from Costco, but a panfried skinless chicken breast tender and 1/2 lb organic veggies costs me between $2-3/meal if that and that's after the veggies have gone up in price. Just olive oil and seasoning.

Been doing that or similar (fish may add $1-2) for years.

For other meals, eggs/oatmeal/bananas etc. are all still way cheaper and less time consuming than going out.

Consumerism trained us to make meals complicated or 'fun' and it doesn't have to be that way.