Ben Bruns KU Game Recap on Iowa Everywhere

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Listen to Ben Bruns on Iowa Everywhere. Looks like Kansas ran Cover 4 and dared us to run the ball and we couldn't. He said all they did the whole game was take away deep and seam passes, which they did. Our receivers couldn't get adequate separation.

Losing J-brock ended up being a deciding factor and our TEs aren't helping in the running game.

But, after all that we still did enough to win on offense, our special teams just did us in.

Lance Leipold is a great coach and he pretty much copied Iowa's defense against us.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Listen to Ben Bruns on Iowa Everywhere. Looks like Kansas ran Cover 4 and dared us to run the ball and we couldn't. He said all they did the whole game was take away deep and seam passes, which they did. Our receivers couldn't get adequate separation.

Losing J-brock ended up being a deciding factor and our TEs aren't helping in the running game.

But, after all that we still did enough to win on offense, our special teams just did us in.

Lance Leipold is a great coach and he pretty much copied Iowa's defense against us.
We have some younger reserves in the O line pipline like Brady Peterson, James Neal (juco), Tyler Maro, and others.

I wonder if we don't try some new combinations. What we have now isn't working well. Perhaps some different guys deserve a shot.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
Bruns mentioned not scoring enough TDs in the red zone towards the end so I thought I'd update the data I compiled in the pre-season on drives inside the 10 yard line from 2019-2021 with some 2022 data for comparison.

2019 - 26/33 TDs inside the 10 or 79% (200/418 pts or 48%)
29-26 UNI in 3OTs: 2 FGs, 3 TDs (27 pts)
17-18 Iowa: 1 FG (3 pts)
72-20 ULM: 2 FGs, 3 TDs (27 pts)
21-23 Baylor: 1 TD (7 pts)
49-24 TCU: 5 TDs (35 pts)
38-14 WVU: 3 TDs (21 pts)
34-24 Tx Tech: 1 TD (7 pts)
27-34 OSU: 2 TDs (14 pts)
41-42 OU: 2 TDs and 1 empty (14 pts)
23-21 Texas: 1 TD (7 pts)
41-31 KU: 4 TDs (28 pts)
17-27 KSU: 1 TD (7 pts)
9-33 ND: 1 FG (3 pts)

2020 - 22/31 TDs inside the 10 or 71% (175/395 pts or 44%)
14-31 UL: 1 TD (7 pts)
37-34 TCU: 1 FG, 1 TD (10 pts)
37-30 OU: 2 FG, 3 TDs (27 pts)
31-15 Tx Tech: 1 FG, 2 TDs, 1 empty (17 pts)
21-24 OSU: nothing
52-22 KU: 3 TDs (21 pts)
38-31 Baylor: 2 TD (14 pts)
45-0 KSU: 1 TD (7 pts)
23-20 Texas: 3 FG, 1 TD (16 pts)
42-6 WVU: 2 TDs (14 pts)
21-27 OU: 3 TDs (21 pts)
34-17 Oregon: 3 TDs, 1 empty (21 pts)

2021 - 24/30 TDs inside the 10 or 80% (186/407 pts or 46%)
16-10 UNI: 1 FG, 1 TD (10 pts)
17-27 Iowa: 1 FG, 1 TD (10 pts)
48-3 UNLV: 3 TDs (21 pts)
29-31 Baylor: 2 TDs (14 pts)
59-7 KU: 1 FG, 4 TDs (31 pts)
33-20 KSU: 1 TD (7 pts)
24-21 OSU: 3 TDs (21 pts)
31-38 WVU: 1 TD, 1 empty (7 pts)
30-7 Texas: 1 FG, 1 TD (10 pts)
38-41 Tx Tech: 3 TDs (21 pts)
21-28 OU: 2 TDs (14 pts)
48-14 TCU: 1 FG, 1 TD (10 pts)
13-20 Clemson: 1 FG, 1 TD (10 pts)

2022 - 9/14 TDs inside the 10 or 64% (76/130 pts or 58.5%)
42-10 SEMO: 4 TDs (28 pts)
10-7 Iowa: 1 FG, 1 TD, 1 empty (10 pts)
43-10 Ohio: 2 TDs, 2 FGs (20 pts)
24-31 Baylor: 1 TD, 1 FG (10 pts)
11-14 Kansas: 1 TD (8 pts)

On a %-wise basis, they are down vs the prior 3 years which were in the 71%-80% range whereas this year is ~64%. If you annualize 2022, they are on pace for 21.6/33.6 TDs inside the 10 (182/312 pts).

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I like BB. And he has a nice soothing voice. He was being a homer, which is fine, somebody has to do it. And he was trying to be very diplomatic.

Somehow I don't feel soothed about the team though, its performance and its ability, or lack of ability to adjust, from an offensive and ST's point of view.

I will still support the team of course. And hopefully we will have some highs yet this season. But I think it might be a tough year. Maybe this will be some kind of wake up call.

We've all been here before. I hope the team can bounce back.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
so was he basically saying that since they were in a cover 4, we couldn't do anything about it? Can't roll the QB out with some run pass options? No bootlegs? Our run game struggled, but we run basically one play that is slow developing. No option, no mis direction, no quick hitters, no stretch play to take advantage of cutback lanes.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

My reply to that is I get that. Makes sense. But he was being overly generous in some aspects, others he made a lot of sense. But if they were using what Iowa used on us, shouldn't we know enough, since we have seen it before to be able to adjust to it/for it.

But I get we were on our 3rd/4th string runners, but if the line was doing their job they should have been able to run some. And him saying the line was doing their job was being very generous I saw a lot of blue blowing right through and being in Dekkers face way to fast on many plays, with linemen being completely beat. It happens but this was often, and the sacks were not all coverage sacks, they were blown assignments or just collapsed pocket way to soon.

I also get where he is coming on the special teams, and he admits we have had problems. But we have to fix them.

We have to be able to adjust our offense, just like we do on defense.

Were he was very right was people need to settle down a bit, some people have forgotten where we have come from and where we are. People seem to forget what our lineup looks like this year, and what we lost and what this year was expected to be, by a lot of people. We still have the best damn coach and coaching staff this school has ever had. We still have had the best string of years this school has ever had. And we just lost a hell of a lot of skill players. We have to expect some bumps this year. We have to have some faith that CMC and staff will figure this out, and if we have a down year, it is what it is, an expected down year. It happens. Lets breath and see how things go, we all know that we play like this then next thing you know we go out and beat a top 10 team, or string 4 wins together out of nowhere.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I like Ben Bruns and his analysis each week. I can tell he is an engineer by education. He identifies the issues and immediately is looking for improvement going forward. Saturday hurt, but like CMC says often you don’t know how players will truly perform until they are under the bright lights. We are seeing some of the young guys struggle with this right now and frankly we don’t have other options behind them. These two loses will only increase the pressure, we will see how this team reacts. It may be bumpy this year but I don’t want anyone other than CMC in Ames leading this program. I feel for our young kicker. This is a tough situation for him. I’m sure it is all new to him and hopefully he is strong enough to battle through it and have a great 4 year career where this was a turning point for him.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
so was he basically saying that since they were in a cover 4, we couldn't do anything about it? Can't roll the QB out with some run pass options? No bootlegs? Our run game struggled, but we run basically one play that is slow developing. No option, no mis direction, no quick hitters, no stretch play to take advantage of cutback lanes.

Seems like a pretty big indictment of Manning at the same time as him saying don't blame Manning.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This all seems really complicated. If we make just two high percentage FG’s and we win the game. End of story. Hell, if we make just ONE high % look FG we might win the game in OT.

Games like this happen, where the opponent has their game plan dialed in. You better have a LEGIT kicker. We NEVER have a legit kicker.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I actually listened to it and im kinda pissed tbh.

Yes, the kicker missed kicks. The kicked should not have had to kick it 4 times. I dont care how many yards we had. We scored 1 TD the entire game. Miss me with the special teams ********. It sucks. I dont care how many yards or first downs the offense gets. They dont score points when it matters. Fact

But there's no excuse for the offensive performance Saturday. This is the same crap thats happened constantly here. Offense moves the ball and doesnt score points. We just bury that in a couple blow outs and every year the stat line says what you want it to so a narrtive can be pushed. To put this all on the kicker is burying your head in the sand and hiding from the actual issues the program has.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I actually listened to it and im kinda pissed tbh.

Yes, the kicker missed kicks. The kicked should not have had to kick it 4 times. I dont care how many yards we had. We scored 1 TD the entire game. Miss me with the special teams ********. It sucks. I dont care how many yards or first downs the offense gets. They dont score points when it matters. Fact

But there's no excuse for the offensive performance Saturday. This is the same crap thats happened constantly here. Offense moves the ball and doesnt score points. We just bury that in a couple blow outs and every year the stat line says what you want it to so a narrtive can be pushed. To put this all on the kicker is burying your head in the sand and hiding from the actual issues the program has.

You’re pissed? Shocking. When someone with more knowledge than you has an explanation to what happens beyond a laundry list of complaints that you don’t understand? Real shocking.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So line wasn't bad, couldn't run the ball, take it easy on Manning, Deckers was passing well, deep ball was taken away, Defense is aces, kicking game doink.

I can't listen now but did he actually say Dekkers was passing well?

He didn't seem to be able to get on track all day. He's been money on getting the ball to the outside where it's either the receiver or nobody and that was short Saturday.

He also rarely had a pocket to work with and an uncomfortable QB usually struggles.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This all seems really complicated. If we make just two high percentage FG’s and we win the game. End of story. Hell, if we make just ONE high % look FG we might win the game in OT.

Games like this happen, where the opponent has their game plan dialed in. You better have a LEGIT kicker. We NEVER have a legit kicker.

Mevis was good and reliable. I think Assalley hits at least one of those.

It's a 'breaks' thing too like Hutch dropping a TD. I thought KU's DBs were also succinct when they got to the ball and the 'but their defense was so bad before Saturday!' narrative needs to stop; can a team not improve? And it's not like ISU was lighting up the score board prior to start.

Not going for it imo was a problem just in the mental aspect but who knows what happens after.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
The concern I have is that WV, Duke and Houston averaged 35 points against KU. We scored 11. Their defense is not good. This game should not have come down to field goals. It should have been at least 25-14.
That's what happens when your offense is reduced down to being one-dimensional. That dimension was short forward and horizontal passing.