Game Length

Jun 11, 2021
Are college football games too long?
It amazes me how much quicker pro-games seem to go. Less then an hour in and it's almost halftime already tonight.

Reactions: isutrevman

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Are college football games too long?
It amazes me how much quicker pro-games seem to go. Less then an hour in and it's almost halftime already tonight.
There's a difference in halftime length. NFL halftime is 12 min. College starts at 15 min but often can go even longer if there's a long halftime show and both teams agree to extend it.

Even so, there's less than 10 min difference in the length of the average NFL game and the average college game.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Unless you’re a professional.

Reactions: VeloClone

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
There's a difference in halftime length. NFL halftime is 12 min. College starts at 15 min but often can go even longer if there's a long halftime show and both teams agree to extend it.

Even so, there's less than 10 min difference in the length of the average NFL game and the average college game.

Man it seems like college games are almost always quite a bit longer than NFL.

I would like to see the average college game length in competitive games and compare that to NFL. Lot of blowouts in college where the NFL has pretty much all close games. Time out usage, amount of running plays, etc all vary based on how close the game is.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I think eventually they are going to not stop the clock on every 1st down in CFB. Maybe they will do it like for the last 5 minutes of the half or something like that.

The first-down stoppages have been getting shorter and shorter. The clock is wound once the ball is marked ready for play; no more waiting for the chain gang to shuffle downfield.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The first-down stoppages have been getting shorter and shorter. The clock is wound once the ball is marked ready for play; no more waiting for the chain gang to shuffle downfield.
The spot just has be marked. A ref can toe the spot until the chains get there. What they need to do is be consistent though. Don’t wait for the chains and then in the last couple minutes start just toeing it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think eventually they are going to not stop the clock on every 1st down in CFB. Maybe they will do it like for the last 5 minutes of the half or something like that.

It’s crazy nfl offenses seem to move faster in hurry up situations anyway without even having that advantage.

Like they somehow get the play off faster with no stop for first down.

Reactions: beentherebefore

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
It’s crazy nfl offenses seem to move faster in hurry up situations anyway without even having that advantage.

Like they somehow get the play off faster with no stop for first down.

I’d imagine that the speaker in the NFL QB helmet has a lot to do with that. Also just practice and experience.

Reactions: mkadl and VeloClone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I’d imagine that the speaker in the NFL QB helmet has a lot to do with that. Also just practice and experience.

I always see some random straggler in college games and wonder how they aren’t back ready for the snap.

I also often wonder if you trained professional athletes if they could deboard a commercial airplane in one minute instead of 25 minutes like random civilians usually take.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yeah, I do appreciate he NFL and how they can get it done in 3 hrs. Some of these college games are getting to be 5hrs.

It’s hard to explain to my non fan wife how long college fb is compared to relatively fast college bb and soccer that are almost always 2 hours.

Almost without fail she is shocked it’s only halftime and not end of game.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
It’s hard to explain to my non fan wife how long college fb is compared to relatively fast college bb and soccer that are almost always 2 hours.

Almost without fail she is shocked it’s only halftime and not end of game.
I am just the opposite. Not much of a soccer fan. Seems like the score was 1-0 six hours ago.

Reactions: Jer