Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Yeah I lived in the northbrook area for a bit, evanston is so much closer to the city and has direct public transportation if you want that those other northern burbs don't quite match. Insanely beautiful campus.
When I took my kids to visit Northwestern, they both fell in love with the campus and really wanted to go there. Hell, I fell in love with the campus and wanted to enroll myself. None of us could afford it, though (since every student Northwestern takes is “top tier” academically, they don’t have academic scholarships. At least that’s what we were told in the late 2000s).

At the time (and I imagine this is still true) all Northwestern students could attend football games for free - and they still couldn’t sell out.

Somewhat fun fact - the 2003 version of Cheaper By The Dozen with Steve Martin as the dad/college football coach filmed exterior scenes in the Evanston area, including Ryan Field.

Last edited:

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
I'm high on Utah as well for the reasons you state. I think building a conference with a huge in-state rivalry in a fast growing state that has good programs with rabid fans is a great thing.

As for the future, when the SLC area has to be abandoned, Phoenix runs out of water, Texas secedes and most of the ACC and PAC schools are underwater, I'm fully expecting ISU's enrollment to jump to like 150,000. That's a lot of eyeballs. Big 10 should be playing the long game here and add ISU immediately.

Top post of the thread so far imo.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
WVU and KU had ZERO competition for that time slot. That's why 2020 is worthless data. Do you think they would get great numbers against SEC and B1G games in that time slot against other networks?
Auburn-South Carolina and Clemson-Georgia Tech were literally on at the same time. Try again. Or actually don’t try and just go away.

FrankDrebin

Jul 21, 2014
Auburn-South Carolina and Clemson-Georgia Tech were literally on at the same time. Try again. Or actually don’t try and just go away.
Exactly. It is a good example that network can elevate a game above what that matchup usually gets (KU-WVU never sniffs 1M on cable) but that you need a good matchup to get to what ABC would typically average.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
When I took my kids to visit Northwestern, they both fell in love with the campus and really wanted to go there. Hell, I fell in love with the campus and wanted to enroll myself. None of us could afford it, though (since every student Northwestern takes is “top tier” academically, they don’t have academic scholarships. At least that’s what we were told in the late 2000s).

At the time (and I imagine this is still true) all Northwestern students could attend football games for free - and they still couldn’t sell out.

Somewhat fun fact - the 2003 version of Cheaper By The Dozen with Steve Martin as the dad/college football coach filmed exterior scenes in the Evanston area, including Ryan Field.
Yep the tickets were free as of a few years back, you could just borrow another students id and get them as a guest or even just get free guest passes sometimes. Stadium has a beautiful view too

Reactions: agentbear

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
There are a lot of people that think everything Big 12 should be streaming as some sort of "outside the box" thinking or highly progressive move to get the biggest dollars. I fully disagree with them for several reasons, but they are more plentiful than you think, unfortunately.
But that is not going to happen. There is no basis in reality for that scenario.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Snowpocalypse 2010?

Actually yes, I took green bay road home thinking it’s be safer and it did get me home in 3ish hours. I stopped to grab some food near that one rough pocket, all I could see was snow, but someone somehow saw me because I heard “hey white man” yelled out four times consecutively and I’m quite certain it was me.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
There are a lot of people that think everything Big 12 should be streaming as some sort of "outside the box" thinking or highly progressive move to get the biggest dollars. I fully disagree with them for several reasons, but they are more plentiful than you think, unfortunately.
Sorry, but many more people 'generalize' dollars. It's not the 'biggest' dollars. It's the most cost effective dollars. And, to ignore streaming is like saying 10 years ago streaming would never exist. It does and it will continue to be a major player. The networks will always accommodate the advertising dollar. If that means redirecting people to streaming, then that'll happen.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I'm high on Utah as well for the reasons you state. I think building a conference with a huge in-state rivalry in a fast growing state that has good programs with rabid fans is a great thing.

As for the future, when the SLC area has to be abandoned, Phoenix runs out of water, Texas secedes and most of the ACC and PAC schools are underwater, I'm fully expecting ISU's enrollment to jump to like 150,000. That's a lot of eyeballs. Big 10 should be playing the long game here and add ISU immediately.
I know you're humorously injecting sarcasm. BUT, Pickens was buying up water rights, CA inarguably is suffering major water issues, and oil won't be our solution forever. Sooo, there is some truth to what you're saying for the distant future. ;)

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Isn't there a plan in the works to try to pump water in from the Pacific? But they are trying to decide how it will impact the environment etc.

They also want pump water from the Mississippi to the Colorado to save it, but that is considered way more difficult, if not impossible.

Part of the problems with huge population growth in desert/arid region that is also experiencing a long term drought.

Some crazy engineering and costs. Makes you wonder just how much those cities will be worth when push comes to shove.
Completely agree! They've even gone so far as to do an analysis on shipping icebergs down from Alaska. Desalination plants are really expensive, but may be the savior of these consumption lands. Heck, the U.S. even funded a desalination plant near the Mexican border because our water consumption of the Colorado was so severe that it left the water going into Mexico nearly unusable.

Reactions: MountainManHawk

timinatoria

Aug 29, 2008
Yes, and Auburn-South Carolina(1.5 rating) beat WVU-KU(.9 rating) in the ratings handily. Clemson-GT beat them soundly as well. The WVU game was the worst rated game on network TV that day.

October 17, 2020 UGA vs. ALA (CBS)5.39.61
October 17, 2020 LOU vs. ND (NBC)1.83.12
October 17, 2020 AUB vs. SC (ESPN)1.52.57
October 17, 2020 T A&M vs. MISS ST (ESPN)1.52.43
October 17, 2020 CLEM vs. GT (ABC)1.42.25
October 17, 2020 UNC vs. FSU (ABC)1.42.2
October 17, 2020 UCF vs. MEM (ABC)1.11.9
October 17, 2020 KU vs. WVU (FOX)0.9

• Haha
Reactions: WhoISthis

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Yes, and Auburn-South Carolina(1.5 rating) beat WVU-KU(.9 rating) in the ratings handily. Clemson-GT beat them soundly as well. The WVU game was the worst rated game on network TV that day.

Is anyone surprised that no one watched KU football?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

No ****? The original point was if you put a game on a network it gets a lot more viewers. The point is that a bad mediocre WVU team and K freaking U had 1.9 million people watch. Normally that would be an FS2 game that gets fewer than 300k viewers.

It supports the point refuting the PAC 12 dimwits perfectly. PAC viewership only compares to Big 12 because they get the immense benefit of double the network slots.

If you think Clemson and Auburn conference games beating as bad a Big 12 game as there was in 2020 by like 30% and 20% respectively is some sort of negative for the Big 12, I do t know what to tell you.

Bottom line is you thought they got those viewers because there was zero competition. You were wrong, so now your point is KU and WVU got beat in the ratings by Clemson and Auburn.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

This was proposed a few years ago and thankfully shot down. It is just as ridiculous now to expand as it was back then.
It won't happen right now but I do feel in 20 years there will be either 2 32 team or 1 64 team super conference. If that does happen they will play their tourney sell the rights to the highest bidder and get all the money. I could see the NIT then getting the schools left out gaining some importance though it will be a fraction of the interest and money.
Not what I want just see the path. Then again I don't want the current consolidation of conferences but it is our new reality.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
No ****? The original point was if you put a game on a network it gets a lot more viewers. The point is that a bad mediocre WVU team and K freaking U had 1.9 million people watch. Normally that would be an FS2 game that gets fewer than 300k viewers.

It supports the point refuting the PAC 12 dimwits perfectly. PAC viewership only compares to Big 12 because they get the immense benefit of double the network slots.

If you think Clemson and Auburn conference games beating as bad a Big 12 game as there was in 2020 by like 30% and 20% respectively is some sort of negative for the Big 12, I do t know what to tell you.

Bottom line is you thought they got those viewers because there was zero competition. You were wrong, so now your point is KU and WVU got beat in the ratings by Clemson and Auburn.
Forget it, he’s a Hawk troll with a typical small brain like the majority of them.

Reactions: BCClone