Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Another amazing data driven article by the 365 website. The data dismantles John Wilner's latest puff piece. Just more proof he's just a Pac-10 shell.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
I have always agreed time slot matters, not sure we need 2020 data to confirm it but sure. Just about everything else from 2020 usually gets thrown out for circumstances.
I think we all agree here that time slots matter. It’s others, like Mandel and Wilmer that the concept is lost on. They lose all credibility with me, as a result. 2020 gets thrown out by some, because it does fit the narrative. It works to demonstrate the lift the network/time gives versus just team brand.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Going to the effort of streaming TNF that is the only show in town is one thing. Fishing out the random B12 game on Prime on Saturday is another. When you have 6 or 7 games at your fingertips on DirecTV, including the blue bloods in the SEC and B1G, they aren't going to go to that effort unless it is for the local team.
Half the time i just tell the waiter to give me the remote and Ill find the game.

Reactions: psychlone99

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Another amazing data driven article by the 365 website. The data dismantles John Wilner's latest puff piece. Just more proof he's just a Pac-10 shell.

BYU is a larger school with a potentially larger fanbase than OU (and Utah). The state population is similar too. Utah is fastest growing state (although it faces a unique possible impending ecological disaster).

If they'd have been in a major conference with a major TV deal for years I think they'd be a powerhouse in terms of ratings draw.

Love 'em or hate 'em Texas is Texas and tough to replace. But I genuinely think BYU/OU could easily end up being a push (or an upgrade) so it's more talking about adding Houston/Cincy/UCF combined to replace Texas in terms of comparison.

If we all ignore that Texas football has sucked getting beat regularly by KU and blown off the field against Iowa State....and this is about TV/streaming viewership...we can't also give Oklahoma all these points for regularly making the CFP. If OU had been in the MWC/WAC for decades and BYU had been in the Big 8/Big 12 would they really have that different of a brand?

Reactions: tnacin

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Hard to say. The brands of the SEC and BIG have long carried weight and networks sought the viewership, so those schools have high valuations. There are probably only a handful that should for sure be out. Imo, at 48, the last 10-15 are scheduler fillers anyway, even starting from scratch. Some value in keeping as many traditional matchups a possible.
I am not talking about Michigan and Ohio St, but how high of a brand does Rutgers, Maryland, NW, Purdue, Indiania and Illinois have? This is only about football here, if otherwise, conferences would be lining up to grab KU and they are not.

ISU has been in the top 25 in attendance since they enlarged the stadium, while many schools have seen attendance drop, ISU has seen an increase. Our TV numbers when you put them on one of the main channels in a decent time slot is not much worse that EIU's, and better than every team I mentioned above unless they are playing Michigan, OSU or Penn. State.

ISU bring more "value" to the table than many of the teams already in the B10 and SEC, we just have to get a fair chance to show it.

Last edited:

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Only Tier 3 is going to be streaming. Tier 1 and 2 will be OTA or traditional cable. A bunch of you act like Big 12 is going to go 100% on Amazon Prime. I would rather have Tier 3 on Prime than ESPN+. There are still enough time slots for OTA and Cable games. (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ABC, FOX, FS1, NBC, CBS, CBSSN)

FrankDrebin

Jul 21, 2014
I am not talking about Michigan and Ohio St, but how high of a brand does Rutgers, Maryland, NW, Purdue, Indiania and Illinois have? This is only about football here, if otherwise, conferences would be lining up to grab KU and they are not.

ISU has been in the top 25 in attendance since they enlarged the stadium, while many schools have seen attendance drop, ISU has seen an increase. Our TV numbers when you put them on one of the main channels in a decent time slot is not much worse that EIU's, and better than every team I mentioned above unless they are playing Michigan, OSU or Penn. State.

ISU bring more "value" to the table than many of the teams already in the B10 and SEC, we just have to get a fair chance to show it.
The Big Ten has several of the top 20 or so ratings generators of the past decade inckuding 2 of the top 5 and 3 of the top ten.

Ohio St
Michigan
PSU
MSU
Wisconsin
Nebraska

Then a decent middle tier of Iowa and others before you get to the dregs of Rutgers.

It's more about the six at the top than the rest. Same with the SEC having Bama, Auburn, LSU, UF, UGA, Vols, and A&M. It's not about Vandy, UK, SoCarolina, or Mizzou.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The Big Ten has several of the top 20 or so ratings generators of the past decade inckuding 2 of the top 5 and 3 of the top ten.

Ohio St
Michigan
PSU
MSU
Wisconsin
Nebraska

Then a decent middle tier of Iowa and others before you get to the dregs of Rutgers.

It's more about the six at the top than the rest. Same with the SEC having Bama, Auburn, LSU, UF, UGA, Vols, and A&M. It's not about Vandy, UK, SoCarolina, or Mizzou.
Without a doubt, but the question is does the Vandy's, and Rutgers get a seat at the table just because they are in those leagues now or not? If they do, ISU is screwed, if they are really taking the top 48 schools, we will be fine.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Without a doubt, but the question is does the Vandy's, and Rutgers get a seat at the table just because they are in those leagues now or not? If they do, ISU is screwed, if they are really taking the top 48 schools, we will be fine.
Yes, in the same way the Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns have a seat at the NFL table. The P2 needs tomato cans.

• Haha
Reactions: Jer

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Yes, in the same way the Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns have a seat at the NFL table. The P2 needs tomato cans.
Cleveland and Detroit bring local viewers to the table. According to the link below, Cleveland is #6 in the NFL.

In the context of the earlier posts...IMO, if a CFB super-league forms, it's going to be in order to make loads of money, and the creators are going to take the best 32/48/64/xxx moneymakers. It doesn't make financial sense to do otherwise.

• Winner
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Only Tier 3 is going to be streaming. Tier 1 and 2 will be OTA or traditional cable. A bunch of you act like Big 12 is going to go 100% on Amazon Prime. I would rather have Tier 3 on Prime than ESPN+. There are still enough time slots for OTA and Cable games. (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ABC, FOX, FS1, NBC, CBS, CBSSN)

There are a lot of people that think everything Big 12 should be streaming as some sort of "outside the box" thinking or highly progressive move to get the biggest dollars. I fully disagree with them for several reasons, but they are more plentiful than you think, unfortunately.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Sure, but you are still taking the best teams to get to 48, its crazy to say the Rutgers or Vandy's fill that tomato can role better than ISU or Oky St. The 2 b12 schools will be a very good crowd and decent TV ratings, you cannot say that about the Rutgers, Vandy and others that are currently in both the B10 and SEC.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
NW a much more prestigious gig for a university prez. He was probably in the running before and lost out to the lady who had to step down due to her health diagnosis.
Oh I’m aware but given the discrepancy with academics was just surprised they looked at the Oregon president. But it’s northwestern so I’m sure they know what they are doing