Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
The article linked below (made on 8/2021) gives a summary of which network owns the TV rights to various college football.

ABC/ESPN owns: SEC, ACC, AAC, Sunbelt, MAC. Linear channels it needs football programming for are: ABC, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN U, SEC Network, ACC Network, ESPN Plus.

Fox: Big 10, MWC (partial)

CBS: Conference USA, MWC (partial)

NBC: Notre Dame

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Lets get this thread back on track. Paige’s mom is pretty hot for being in her 60s.
Thank you.This thread needs more Paige and less boring, sky-is-falling-on-ISU realignment crap.

Realignment is like taking all the Christmases you didn't get what you wanted and combining them into one giant months long Festivus type celebration that continually drills you in the nards over and over.

The season can't start soon enough. ;)

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
(new alignments)PacificMountainCentralEastern
ACC---14
SEC--115
Big Ten2-68
Big 12-183
Pac-1264*--
Notre Dame---1
*AZ and ASU are year-round MST; first half of season = PDT

Should include other conferences and which TV networks own the rights to them. Biggest take away is why would ESPN want Big 12 when it has enough of a pool to choose from with the SEC & ACC rights.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Dude you are taking things WAAAAYYY too personal. Chill out a bit. Not a single person on here truly knows what's going to happen whether you agree with them or not. Anyone at all (no matter what their thoughts and ideas are) doesn't have any inside information or any clue what will actually happen.

Relax people.
It wouldnt have been an issue if they had not literally Personally attacked me, by calling me out by name.

• Dumb
Reactions: CycloneNorth

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Jason Scheer the Arizona 247 had a tweet about what I've been thinking for a while.

Last years OUT move by ESPN had the plan to destabilize the B!2 forcing our schools to the AAC which the own the rights. Basically thsy would have had the new B!2 on a sweet deal of a contract and be set for content. Bowlsby threating legal action stopped their plan, B12 had time and a contract that gave the conference time to solidify. PAC10 doesn't have that with their right up for bid right now.

Pretty easy to see either FOX or ESPN could get the content they need from the PAC12 and Big 12. But why pay for 2 conferences when you could pay for 1 with a few schools added to the Big12 which would be significantly less. I believe that has been the plan for FOX to the point they openly declined to even bid on the PAC12 right hoping the movement would happen now. ESPN in theory could save Pac10 conference for now but I think they would prefer the Big12+4 plan for their content too. (thus their lowball bid in their negotiations).

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Should include other conferences and which TV networks own the rights to them. Biggest take away is why would ESPN want Big 12 when it has enough of a pool to choose from with the SEC & ACC rights.
True, but ESPN last time also had the B10, and now they switched to the SEC. Not sure how that affects the B12, since ESPN found time to show B12 games when they also had B10 games. What changed besides moving to the SEC from the B10?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Regarding the bolded part...couldn't the reverse also theoretically be true? ESPN wants to lock all remaining content down in one fell swoop, so they engineer some kind of merger or moving some/all of the Big 12 to the Pac?

I think the difference is that FOX has decided not to even bid on the Pac-12, but we think FOX will want Big 12 rights. So while ESPN is maybe the only possible savior for the Pac-12, ESPN can’t exercise that amount of control over the Big 12.

But either network could entice schools to jump either direction if they wanted them to by overpaying enough. Doesn’t seem likely that will happen, at least not to the PAC’s benefit.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum and Trice

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
I think the difference is that FOX has decided not to even bid on the Pac-12, but we think FOX will want Big 12 rights. So while ESPN is maybe the only possible savior for the Pac-12, ESPN can’t exercise that amount of control over the Big 12.

But either network could entice schools to jump either direction if they wanted them to by overpaying enough. Doesn’t seem likely that will happen, at least not to the PAC’s benefit.
Wilner made a good point. He said for the Pac teams on the fence, Kliavkoff can show the teams a copy of ESPN's, Amazon's, etc. written offer versus the unknown with the Big 12 two years away. How about if the Big 12 goes to market now and gets its own written offer to show the Pac teams? On the flip side, the two years away gives Yormark time to grease the wheels of all the media players to get the best deal.

Reactions: Acylum

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
If the Pac survives, and I think it will, the Big 12 and Pac should explore a football only arrangement. Putting my Yogi Berra hat on, they would be in the same league without being in the same league. The Big 12 gets more brands and teams in the Pacific time zone for tv, the Pac gets into the Central and East time zones, gets into Texas, and provides stability. Plus, since separate leagues with their own commissioner and governance, the Pac academic snobs can be satisfied. 22 teams, 4 divisions, 9 conference games (division rankings against division rankings for game #9). Not sure how they would do divisions and end of the year but is something.

West: Washington, Washington State, Oregon State, Oregon, Stanford, California
Mountain: Colorado, Utah, BYU, Arizona State, Arizona
Central: Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Houston, Texas Tech
East: UCF, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Baylor, TCU

Last edited:

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Wilner made a good point. He said for the Pac teams on the fence, Kliavkoff can show the teams a copy of ESPN's, Amazon's, etc. written offer versus the unknown with the Big 12 two years away. How about if the Big 12 goes to market now and gets its own written offer to show the Pac teams? On the flip side, the two years away gives Yormark time to grease the wheels of all the media players to get the best deal.
I don't think the big12 can go to market now. Also if ESPN really wante the Pac12 they would have made a legit offer during their exclusive window. If you really want something you don't wait until it becomes available to everyone.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I don't think the big12 can go to market now. Also if ESPN really wante the Pac12 they would have made a legit offer during their exclusive window. If you really want something you don't wait until it becomes available to everyone.

I think that’s partially right but ESPN might also not have wanted to commit so much to the Pac-12 that it would miss out on B1G rights. But now its best B1G offer wasn’t enough anyway, so it may have more capital available for the Pac, or later the Big 12, or even Notre Dame.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Do not think conversations are going on right now two years into the future would be naïve. I saw that statement by Wilner as a show of ignorance or desperation. I believe the B12 is in the driver's seat in terms of control, but one never knows what magic someone can pull out of their .... you know!

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
To not thing conversations are going on right now two years into the future would be naïve. I saw that statement by Wilner as a show of ignorance or desperation. I believe the B12 is in the driver's seat in terms of control, but one never knows what magic someone can pull out of their .... you know!

I think it really just comes down to ESPN's math here.

If ESPN wants both, Is it more cost effective for ESPN to pay for the big 12 and PAC separately, or to pay a bit more for a bigger big 12 and lowball whatever becomes of the remnants of the PAC?

And of course, interest from others like Fox could also play into things.