Cryptocurrency

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
There were in early 2021, then exited once the markets dropped...

What makes you think they won't re enter?

I am not here to dispute the chaos in the crypto world. It exists.

But to put a nail in the coffin like you seem to be doing. I am skeptical of that sentiment. The tech and talent pool are too strong to go away quietly.

BuschLight

Jul 24, 2022
I don't disagree. I am voluntarily in several projects that amount to nothing more then ponzi concepts.

But, that does not invalidate the entire space.
It creates a toxic place for most investors, whether you like that or not. Not to mention, if you are a small investor, fees will eat you alive. When you put $50 in coinbase into BTC, you automatically lose like 2-5%, then if you transfer it, even more gone.

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
They didn't do anything after Bitconnect scammed hundreds of thousands of people in 2018, maybe this is actually the time but who knows?

People will continue to look for an alternative to fiat corruption. There are major problems as you suggest. But I think it rises again.

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
It creates a toxic place for most investors, whether you like that or not. Not to mention, if you are a small investor, fees will eat you alive. When you put $50 in coinbase into BTC, you automatically lose like 2-5%, then if you transfer it, even more gone.

Buy it somewhere else, like strike.

People have short memories. I think you overestimate the current happenings impact on future tech.and adoption.

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021

Meanwhile, small fish are buying BTC.

BuschLight

Jul 24, 2022
Buy it somewhere else, like strike.

People have short memories. I think you overestimate the current happenings impact on future tech.and adoption.
Look, when I say this stuff, I'm not talking about the two top coins. BTC and ETH aren't scams and can be seen as good investments, however, a lot of unsuspecting people fall for alt coin scams promoting huge gains or sites promoting ways to avoid high gas fees. My 50-some-year-old dad got into a particular coin in September 2021, the coin wasn't really a scam but didn't offer anything revolutionary(like most coins). However, he tried to transfer the tokens to an site claiming lower gas fees and lost all of the money. Part of that is on him for not checking the legitimacy but still he probably won't invest again due to that experience. I imagine all those who got scam and telling others feel the same

Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
Look, when I say this stuff, I'm not talking about the two top coins. BTC and ETH aren't scams and can be seen as good investments, however, a lot of unsuspecting people fall for alt coin scams promoting huge gains or sites promoting ways to avoid high gas fees. My 50-some-year-old dad got into a particular coin in September 2021, the coin wasn't really a scam but didn't offer anything revolutionary(like most coins). However, he tried to transfer the tokens to an site claiming lower gas fees and lost all of the money. Part of that is on him for not checking the legitimacy but still he probably won't invest again due to that experience. I imagine all those who got scam and telling others feel the same

Fair enough. There are probably quite a few black eyes out there. I hate to hear about the unsuspecting victims. I have lost a few k on an exploit. It definitely will give you pause.

Reactions: BuschLight

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Ethereum is a scam. The fee structure alone should ring alarm bells. The disguised whales, the offer to presale to retail, Lubin saying he had a piece of paper in his back pocket around the time SEC Hinman gave the speech, while simultaneously getting paid by his old law firm in the Ethereum alliance, rug pulls on erc-20 coins. Maybe someday, eventually , this century, Ethereum 2.0 will be released.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
My mom got an email saying her Amazon order was going to be charged if she didn't call immediately to cancel and then the guy over refunded her and would lose his job if she didn't get him gift cards to send to him.

Amazon, email, and gift cards are such scams. She probably won't use email or trust Amazon again due to that experience.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
Ethereum is a scam. The fee structure alone should ring alarm bells. The disguised whales, the offer to presale to retail, Lubin saying he had a piece of paper in his back pocket around the time SEC Hinman gave the speech, while simultaneously getting paid by his old law firm in the Ethereum alliance, rug pulls on erc-20 coins. Maybe someday, eventually , this century, Ethereum 2.0 will be released.
Really? So what part of it is a scam? The fact that the free market decides gas prices and users literally pick their own gas price when submitting transactions? It's literally free market deciding supply and demand. Alarm bells. lol.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
Last year at this time, ETH was $1,000 more than it is now. Then peaked at 4.8k then the crypto craze crashed quickly. No idea why it jumped from $1,100 to $1,600 in a month. Maybe speculative buyers thought it was a low point.
May 2021 ETH was $4,400 and dropped to $1,700 in a few weeks. So that you don't know what it was. But this recent drop you know for sure was retail market leaving forever?

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
Can you point me to another asset that meets this criteria? These are the things I find value in. I am happy to pivot if there is an alternative.

1. Fungible
2. Easily portable
3. Global
4. Easily divisible
5. Finite supply
6. cheap instantaneous settlement
7. Pre-set, immutable, monetary policy

Attachments

• sport-target-target_practice-archer-archery-archery_targets-jnan4915_low.jpg
    sport-target-target_practice-archer-archery-archery_targets-jnan4915_low.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 6

melt

Apr 5, 2006
Chicago, IL
Meanwhile, small fish are buying BTC.

This reads more like people are creating more wallets and spreading their BTC around. Article mentions that the wallets holding lots of BTC has declined. Number of wallets is fairly meaningless because anyone can make a wallet for free. I can go out and make 1,000 wallets if I really wanted to, and if I had 1,000 BTC, I could put 1 in each. There is no real way to know if this is more people entering the market, or whales just spreading things out maybe for risk mitigation in case of hacks.

My mom got an email saying her Amazon order was going to be charged if she didn't call immediately to cancel and then the guy over refunded her and would lose his job if she didn't get him gift cards to send to him.

Amazon, email, and gift cards are such scams. She probably won't use email or trust Amazon again due to that experience.
Saying other things are scams does not refute crypto being a scam. Scams have existed with regular currency since it was invented. What you need to look at is how many transactions in dollars are because of people getting scammed vs. how many transactions in crypto are in scams. My guess would be a lot higher % of the crypto market is scams than what happens with dollars.

TrailCy

Mar 3, 2021
I'm confused. If crypto is a currency to replace first money, then why all the active trading?

If it's an investment then what is it based on other then someone else putting more for it?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
There arent many right now. 2018 had the ICO scams. New cycle, new problems.

I'll disagree with this. I think the dip in the stock market coupled with the dip in the crypto market means a lot of the same investors are in both.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
Saying other things are scams does not refute crypto being a scam. Scams have existed with regular currency since it was invented. What you need to look at is how many transactions in dollars are because of people getting scammed vs. how many transactions in crypto are in scams. My guess would be a lot higher % of the crypto market is scams than what happens with dollars.
Scams happen everywhere. The higher the tech hurdle the more likely someone messes it up. Crypto is being dumbed down and by the time it actually reaches the masses the tech hurdle will be much much lower and thus harder to pull off scams.

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
This reads more like people are creating more wallets and spreading their BTC around. Article mentions that the wallets holding lots of BTC has declined. Number of wallets is fairly meaningless because anyone can make a wallet for free. I can go out and make 1,000 wallets if I really wanted to, and if I had 1,000 BTC, I could put 1 in each. There is no real way to know if this is more people entering the market, or whales just spreading things out maybe for risk mitigation in case of hacks.

No, the article doesn't say that at all. Large wallets are distributing to small wallets as intended. And the nice thing is there is no Cantillon Effect for the whales to load up their bags again.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
I'll disagree with this. I think the dip in the stock market coupled with the dip in the crypto market means a lot of the same investors are in both.
I agree. Being in crypto every day I could feel the shift. As much as this thread is arguing stocks are good and crypto bad in reality a lot of crypto is just being treated like a volatile stock by traders. Fidelity and others are going to bring crypto to the masses packaged such that it goes into their portfolio like a stock or ETF. Most of the arguments in this thread don't have any bearing on the fact that a lot of volume will actually be with these 2 groups.

Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
LOL. Maybe she shouldn't have contacted a undercover FBI agent to be her hitman. Bitcoin didn't matter one bit in this.
From what I’m gathering, the hitmen that advertise in Craig’s list and other regularly used sites are typically FBI agents. Every time I’m in the grocery store, the usual lady who waits on me had this same thing tried against her by her husband.

• Wow
Reactions: NWICY