Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

We should have TCU talk to them about how making it to a Rose Bowl in a weak conference means little.

Utah starting off in the Mountain West isn’t an issue. We already have the top school in that state

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
If they aren't adding to the Big 10 now, why would they in 5 years? Just bring them on. IMO the biggest thing we need to do is bring them in and ensure the PAC dies. That would create some massive instability in the ACC and strengthen us. If all of this moves to the Big 12 being the last remaining league other than the SEC and Big 10 then it's a win. That should be the goal long term.

Because the Big 10 has been very good at not getting excited and adding a bunch of teams right away. They sit back, add a team, then wait two to three years and add another. Phil knight could get pissed in two years and straight up offer the big 10 money to add them. So I could see the Big 10 sitting back and waiting, then poaching Oregon in 3 years.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

cfbconfchamp-1024x579.png

In some fairness, the PAC was friday night, and the ACC was same time as B1G.

Going the other way though, the AAC had a worse spot, up against the SEC and outdrew the ACC anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: cygrads and Acylum

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Utah is eating some humble pie, Pac 12 plastered all over campus, tatoos, many years of gloating to BYU, now they have to join the Big 12 and reality hurts.

Reactions: WhoISthis

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Utah is eating some humble pie, Pac 12 plastered all over campus, tatoos, many years of gloating to BYU, now they have to join the Big 12 and reality hurts.

Utah-BYU is not much different than Iowa State-Iowa in some ways. BYU and Iowa have more historical success and massively inflated egos.

Imagine if Ohio State and Michigan had decided to join the SEC ten years ago or something and Iowa was below us. I know ISU fans would talk a lot of smack about those tables turning. Then if our league took a blow and we were forced to seek an invite to their league, we would be pushing back. Same for the Utes.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Because the Big 10 has been very good at not getting excited and adding a bunch of teams right away. They sit back, add a team, then wait two to three years and add another. Phil knight could get pissed in two years and straight up offer the big 10 money to add them. So I could see the Big 10 sitting back and waiting, then poaching Oregon in 3 years.

We get focused on their recent FB success and Phil Knight, but Oregon doesn't fit the B1G well. Academically and by endowment, they are closer to AzSt or ISU than anyone in the B1G. They would fit the SEC, but would they want to be that isolated?

I wouldn't be shocked if UO and Oregon St ended up in the Big12 as a pair. Oregon St isn't actually that bad as you look at academic and core sports ranks. Similar to Houston, UCF, WV really. I think there was a viewership chart showing them sucking, but they also got stuck on the P12Network a lot.

I think I would take Oregon St with Oregon, assuming they signed up to a strong GoR.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
If they aren't adding to the Big 10 now, why would they in 5 years? Just bring them on. IMO the biggest thing we need to do is bring them in and ensure the PAC dies. That would create some massive instability in the ACC and strengthen us. If all of this moves to the Big 12 being the last remaining league other than the SEC and Big 10 then it's a win. That should be the goal long term.
Five years ago did you think USC and UCLA would be in the Big Ten?

The SI report I read yesterday says that Phil Knight, one of the top 30 richest people in the world and Oregon mega-benefactor, wants Oregon in the Big Ten, and if that doesn't work out, the SEC is his next choice. Knight is going to be moving whatever he can move to make that happen, and he will probably eventually be successful.

The wake of those actions might be relatively peaceful, or they might be turbulent and wreak havoc on anything in the way (i.e. the Big 12 if Oregon joins up for a couple of years). Not worth the risk, IMO, for a short-termer. Do you think Phil Knight cares what happens to the Big 12?

The "bring them in" mentality is misguided. Oregon isn't ISU...they don't have to panic every time realignment rolls around. They can wait it out because they have a billionaire benefactor that can string them along and open doors for them. If Oregon would even consider a Big 12 invite, I can't imagine there is any way they would sign a long term GOR.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

The SI report I read yesterday says that Phil Knight, one of the top 30 richest people in the world and Oregon mega-benefactor, wants Oregon in the Big Ten, and if that doesn't work out, the SEC is his next choice. Knight is going to be moving whatever he can move to make that happen, and he will probably eventually be successful.

The wake of those actions might be relatively peaceful, or they might be turbulent and wreak havoc on anything in the way (i.e. the Big 12 if Oregon joins up for a couple of years). Not worth the risk, IMO, for a short-termer. Do you think Phil Knight cares what happens to the Big 12?

The "bring them in" mentality is misguided. Oregon isn't ISU...they don't have to panic every time realignment rolls around. They can wait it out because they have a billionaire benefactor that can string them along and open doors for them. If Oregon would even consider a Big 12 invite, I can't imagine there is any way they would sign a long term GOR.

Billionaire Benefactor is 84 years old. How much longer can he wait? What are the provisions of his Will?

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
We get focused on their recent FB success and Phil Knight, but Oregon doesn't fit the B1G well. Academically and by endowment, they are closer to AzSt or ISU than anyone in the B1G. They would fit the SEC, but would they want to be that isolated?

I wouldn't be shocked if UO and Oregon St ended up in the Big12 as a pair. Oregon St isn't actually that bad as you look at academic and core sports ranks. Similar to Houston, UCF, WV really. I think there was a viewership chart showing them sucking, but they also got stuck on the P12Network a lot.

I think I would take Oregon St with Oregon, assuming they signed up to a strong GoR.
OR St is very similar to ISU in many ways.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Oregon is a decent brand, but they do not have a large market in their state with lots of B1G alumnus. I think Wash with Seattle, fits the bill better for the B1G. When UW is good, they draw as good as Oregon.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

USC and UCLA are much different than Oregon. Apples and oranges comparison.

Phil Knight's money only benefits Oregon, not anybody else in the conference.

Quite frankly I'm not worried about it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron