Purdy mini camp

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I do think we pulled our starters before Iowa did.... in fact many were upset that CMC was throwing in the towel so early.
So Dekkers did play against Iowa's starters for a little bit, but not very long from what I recall. Played against Iowa's backups longer than he did against their starters anyway.
Campbell put Dekkers in that is basically it. You are making it sound like we had all backups. Do you not read anything the coaches/players/reporters say after the game?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I just can't get this stat line of Purdy's out of my head.....

13/27 for 138 yds, 0 TD's, and 3 INT's.

That's how he performed under the biggest lights and with the most pressure when Gameday was in town against Iowa last year. Granted, it's only one game, but it was the game ISU fans were thinking they were finally going to beat Iowa with most likely our best roster in history.... and Purdy laid an egg and was yanked.

Dekkers came in that game and finished 11/16 for 114 yds , 1 TD, and 0 INT's. But that was mostly in garbage time against Iowa's backups.

I realize this post is kind of unfair.... but that game just really stung BAD. We easily had the better roster and had Purdy just had an average game where he didn't hurt us, we would have won.... but he flat out stunk it up.... and because of that we had no chance in that game.
I don't actually think Dekkers played against many backups, but it was late in the 4th qtr down by 3 scores so he was throwing into some pretty loose coverages.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I do think we pulled our starters before Iowa did.... in fact many were upset that CMC was throwing in the towel so early.
So Dekkers did play against Iowa's starters for a little bit, but not very long from what I recall. Played against Iowa's backups longer than he did against their starters anyway.
It wasn’t playing against backups with our backups. He just pulled Purdy.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldCy and BCClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't actually think Dekkers played against many backups, but it was late in the 4th qtr down by 3 scores so he was throwing into some pretty loose coverages.

Also back up QB tends to look pretty good when there's no film or there's a sudden change of pace or look etc.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I wish nothing but the best for Purdy, I really do. I hope he ends up on a NFL team and sticks with them. I want him to be great, and have great success.

I just think he was a really good QB for ISU, but not great... that's all.

Really good FOR ISU like by ISU's standards or really good overall?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This. That thing was a epic cluster **** in every way.

Looked to me as the difference between being ready and acting ready.

When ISU been the former the last few years, they've been pretty good.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
1467 passes, 33 interceptions, 81 touchdowns. With an at best average line and normally well below average.
Thank you! Why certain posters have to repeatedly let us know how they feel about a particular player, repeatedly...did I say repeatedly yet? until we all just shrug our collective shoulders, is beyond me.

And this shared knowledge is almost always negative in part, or entirely. I mean I would love it if this particular poster would reminisce on a game or two (or 10 or 20) on how BP played really well and helped win us those games. Alas, not likely.

And in explaining my viewpoint, I am almost sure we/I will get a 'defending' negative post. I should just...
Gifs emoji MouthZipperdShut.jpg
What took you so long to come in here and shitpost?
See p. 1 & 2. He's just in mid-stride here.
If you know it's unfair, why'd you bother?
He be...
Gifs Coming Apart.jpg
...at this point.

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
It wasn’t playing against backups with our backups. He just pulled Purdy.
He pulled Breece a couple drives after that awful fumble. He also pulled X after 2 of the INTs were his targets (the jump ball that he didnt put much effort into, and the tipped ball). Lets not **** on Purdy that much for the Iowa game. There was a lot of uncharacteristically terrible plays happening with other of our superstars that game.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
He pulled Breece a couple drives after that awful fumble. He also pulled X after 2 of the INTs were his targets (the jump ball that he didnt put much effort into, and the tipped ball). Lets not **** on Purdy that much for the Iowa game. There was a lot of uncharacteristically terrible plays happening with other of our superstars that game.

The message from that game was "September counts."

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Lol at “superstars”. Just struck me funny. There were people all around me calling for Purdy to get pulled. He was bad in that game.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Lol at “superstars”. Just struck me funny. There were people all around me calling for Purdy to get pulled. He was bad in that game.
Iowa fans were wanting Purdy pulled?

I would have though they would have wanted him to stay in.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I’m one of those that always thought he would have a rough time transitioning to the NFL. Hope I’m wrong. But all evidence shows he has a weak arm and poor downfield accuracy. That never changed in four years of college ball.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: clonedude

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Neither Purdy nor Kempt are NFL quarterbacks. Between the two, I think Kempt had the better overall skillset for a college QB. Smarter, even tempered, able to read the game much better.

It's all conjecture and amusement of course, but I think with a healthy Kempt instead of Purdy the 2021 team wins 11-12 games (including a major bowl).
The legend of Kyle Kempt gets bigger with every year. He's a gamer, had an all-time win at OU, and was the starter during one of the most exciting 3-4 game stretches in ISU history. But we won in spite of him. Purdy was much more talented, and Kempt would tell you that. Kempt had Butler and Lazard.

Purdy was a good college QB. A great ISU QB. He got caught between gunslinger and game manager and it affected his confidence, in my opinion. Injuries didn't help. I maintain that watching a game in person gives you a much stronger appreciation for his play. He was usually under pressure from the moment he got to the top of his drop.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
He didn't get any better as time went on.. Defenses adjusted to the things he did well and he just got shut down. you can't disagree with the facts people
How much of that was the style of play Purdy was told to run years 2-4? Seemed like he broke out his freshman year mainly due to a lot of big runs with the signature Purdy Pump.
We then thought we had a true dual threat QB only to see him turned into a pocket passer with the occasional keeper.