***Official 2022 Transfer Thread***

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Just to be clear, you are asserting that every single guy that goes into the portal achieves his goals? Is that your stance?
I'm answering ever guy that entered the portal left for a reason. Some to play at a higher level. Some for more PT and some to get away from a toxic situation. We really don't know the reason and have no business saying an athlete made a mistake.

Let's look at a smaller sample. Can you honestly say anyone that left Iowa State made a mistake?

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
I'm answering ever guy that entered the portal left for a reason. Some to play at a higher level. Some for more PT and some to get away from a toxic situation. We really don't know the reason and have no business saying an athlete made a mistake.

Let's look at a smaller sample. Can you honestly say anyone that left Iowa State made a mistake?
I think there's an argument Tyler Harris should have stayed. He would have been a better fit for TJ's system than Tre, and might have been able to get consistent backup PG minutes last year and this year.

Not a sure thing that he would play this year though, and he played more minutes for Memphis than he would have for us last year so it's probably a wash.

Last edited:

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
You think Jaden Walker was given the option to stay? Scholarships are one year contracts.
Yeah, they are multiyear guarantees now at pretty much every power 5 school unless that has changed recently and you can't just revoke a scholarship for athletic reasons.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Just to be clear, you are asserting that every single guy that goes into the portal achieves his goals? Is that your stance?

Is your stance it’s a mistake to pursue goals, if you come up short of reaching them? I believe you used the term “mistake” if guys left looking for bigger and better, but couldn’t find it.

Not a mistake imo, particularly when the consequence of “failure” likely just ending up in a similar level.

It’s crazy how differently we view college athletes transferring than any other scholarship student. Just another clear example they’re not commodities, not amateurs, and should be paid

• Dumb
Reactions: Halincandenza

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Is your stance it’s a mistake to pursue goals, if you come up short of reaching them? I believe you used the term “mistake” if guys left looking for bigger and better, but couldn’t find it.

Not a mistake imo, particularly when the consequence of “failure” likely just ending up in a similar level.

It’s crazy how differently we view college athletes transferring than any other scholarship student. Just another clear example they’re not commodities, not amateurs, and should be paid
Lol, you are extrapolating a whole bunch of your own thoughts into my very basic observation.

It's a simple fact that some kids will leave their current school thinking they're going to improve their lot, and actually end up worse off. Not my life, don't care if they try, but that's what will happen in some cases.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Lol, you are extrapolating a whole bunch of your own thoughts into my very basic observation.

It's a simple fact that some kids will leave their current school thinking they're going to improve their lot, and actually end up worse off. Not my life, don't care if they try, but that's what will happen in some cases.
I don't get why this is even a debate. Your comment is not controversial in the slightest

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
What about the backup big from Iowa last year? (sorry, cant remember his name) Not getting involved in this mistake argument, but rather curiousity makes me wonder why he entered the portal and then left the portal fairly quickly to come back to Iowa anyway.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
What about the backup big from Iowa last year? (sorry, cant remember his name) Not getting involved in this mistake argument, but rather curiousity makes me wonder why he entered the portal and then left the portal fairly quickly to come back to Iowa anyway.

He made a visit to Temple but wasn't a take anywhere. His options were JuCo or come back to Iowa. Iowa will take him because Fran is desperate to fill his final roster spots and doesn't know how to work the portal. They are going to end up giving a scholarship to at least one walk-on.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
He made a visit to Temple but wasn't a take anywhere. His options were JuCo or come back to Iowa. Iowa will take him because Fran is desperate to fill his final roster spots and doesn't know how to work the portal. They are going to end up giving a scholarship to at least one walk-on.
I picture Fran pulling a folding chair up to a mid-90s desktop computer trying to dial up while screaming at his secretary to help him 'get into the portal thing'.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Oh, okay. Some on here have said there are several players that will exit the draft yet. And if other schools have already got their guys, I suppose Fran could still pull a good one out of his hat?? He's fortunate that Kris Murray declined the invite. Cuz I think he would have got drafted second round. But just my worthless, non-analytical opinion. lol

Reactions: Halincandenza

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Oh, okay. Some on here have said there are several players that will exit the draft yet. And if other schools have already got their guys, I suppose Fran could still pull a good one out of his hat?? He's fortunate that Kris Murray declined the invite. Cuz I think he would have got drafted second round. But just my worthless, non-analytical opinion. lol

Doesn't sound like a done deal on Kris Murray returning but it seems very likely he does. Kenyon said it had something to do with the 5-on-5 portion of the combine favoring guards as to why Kris declined the combine invite.

They seem to be targeting Keion Brooks as their backup plan but he will have far better options than Iowa if he does return.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I’d bet Yesefu would like a do-over. Maybe not so much on entering the portal but at least on where he went.