Dan Winters leaving WHO

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Keith does it. It's also moved up to be from 1-3 so more time to get to the news.
Would think the prep work is a lot less for Keith than it is for the lead anchor though. Keith has what 4-5 minutes of actual air time? Maybe not though and double duty could be pulled off.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
When does Ed Wilson call it a career?

I was never a big fan of Dan. The smile, the bi-color hair, and he just seemed fake to me. Can’t fault him though for going to a more 8 to 5 gig either. Longevity in the newsroom isn’t what it used to be.

Reactions: mynameisjonas

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
News anchors can use their popularity/name to be really successful in other professions.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I've always kind of wondered how those that do the 6 & 10 time slots schedules work?

Do they get there 2-3 hours or so before the first show and then can go home for Dinner after the 6 pm show and then come back like an hour or so before the 10 pm show?

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
and then how does that affect the radio show if he has to be at work during it.

edit: i guess it's obviously something you would give the radio show up for.
Keith currently does the radio show and the 6 & 10 news, so I am not sure how this would be much different for Andy.

I think the leader in the club house is Justin Surrency. He's been on the fast track since they hired him.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
There have been a lot of local news/weather people that left the profession due to the schedule. I don't blame them for wanting "normal" working hours

Just to name a few:
Andy Garman - even though he had Herky at his wedding, he frequently stuck up for Iowa State on twitter.
Brooke Bouma
Metinka Slater
Hhm. That's really a name?

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
When does Ed Wilson call it a career?

I was never a big fan of Dan. The smile, the bi-color hair, and he just seemed fake to me. Can’t fault him though for going to a more 8 to 5 gig either. Longevity in the newsroom isn’t what it used to be.

Whenever Ed does retire there is no lack of internal candidates to replace him as chief at 13. Basically everyone but Amber has been there for quite some time time and are highly qualified. If I had to put my odds on who it would be if that were to happen today probably Jeriann or Megan would be the most likely and Brett would be pretty close option too but in terms of seniority those 2 gals have been there that longest. It is crazy turnover we are seeing at 8 and 13 in some departments right now. 13 has been pretty good about keeping weather and sports talent and for the most part the main anchors have been around awhile too but they sure have churned through reporters and weekend anchors lately. 8's weather is a joke now after they basically replaced nearly everyone recently and the new guy is just kind of creepy and out of place for the market.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Man….if Chris Earl had not just left KCRG for Fort Meyers I would imagine he would be interested.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Whenever Ed does retire there is no lack of internal candidates to replace him as chief at 13. Basically everyone but Amber has been there for quite some time time and are highly qualified. If I had to put my odds on who it would be if that were to happen today probably Jeriann or Megan would be the most likely and Brett would be pretty close option too but in terms of seniority those 2 gals have been there that longest. It is crazy turnover we are seeing at 8 and 13 in some departments right now. 13 has been pretty good about keeping weather and sports talent and for the most part the main anchors have been around awhile too but they sure have churned through reporters and weekend anchors lately. 8's weather is a joke now after they basically replaced nearly everyone recently and the new guy is just kind of creepy and out of place for the market.
I haven't watched KCCI weather since Chris Gloninger started. Is he that bad?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

Didn't one of their weathermen get into a weird relationship with a minor?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
When KWWL lost it's top female news anchor last year, they didn't replace her. The ancient one, Ron Steele, is the sole anchor.

With media companies looking to cut costs, maybe WHO just has Erin read the news. Give her a couple extra bucks and she'd probably do it. She's already sitting there.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Not sure. Does Winters do the 6 & 10 or is there another show even before that? If he just does those 2 then maybe Andy can get to the office after the radio show at 3 pm? Not sure how early Dan & Erin get there? Maybe with the likely increased tv salary Andy would just quit the radio show.
Dan is on at 4 for the hour long edition.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
WHO must be doing all right. They have that show at 11 with Megan Reuther. Sooner or later though you are going to run out of people to bring on. HVAC, Pella windows, cosmologists, roofers, etc seem to be regulars on the show.
I think she should have a segment on smoking meats.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29