Pollard on Cyclone Club Level Changes

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
There are many facets of fundraising for ISU. When you graduated and immediately started getting calls to donate, that was the ISU foundation very likely. We are now talking about the ISU Athletic Dept. This is a whole different animal.
Yes, in the end, your donation does end up in Ames... it all depends where you want it to go. I am a current donor and I am glad to do it because of the joy (and sometimes pain) ISU sports brings to me. Knowing that my money is helping the student athletes and advancing the ISU brand makes very happy.

Reactions: NWICY and Mr.G.Spot

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Sure, for the less than 2% of alumni that are farmers.
I love that point. I hear a lot about how we educate nothing but teachers and farmers and they don't have a lot of money. I think people would be surprised what percent of the student population is actually involved in a farm-centric major.

Last edited:

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
He said the bridge will be done by football season, but did he say the new parking lots that use it would be done?
Looks like he is planning to have the new RV lot occupied, as the parking map showed RV where G7 used to be and all D lots(formerly RV) with cars/ small vehicles.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Two things:
1.) Im out of state and the athletic department hasn’t done anything to come find me and ask me to donate. Not once. Also if I were to donate the entire cyclone club benefits are fairly useless to me since I go to 1 fb game every other year and really only go to away basketball games.

Give us a ticket to the Womens Team at TCU since I’m in the area or something. Anything. Maybe actually sponsor tailgates for Club members at Baylor or TCU or at Austin (any game) instead of relying on the Alumni Association. They basically told everyone to pound sand in Brooklyn this year. A nice pregame party one day would’ve been nice. They barely do anything for bowl games too.

2.) It’s 10x the donation to get a 50 yard line seat at Iowa State than at Alabama due to overall levels and not per seat donations.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
I'm donating while being out of state and not purchasing any tickets. If I bought a ticket second hand, would that affect the tax write-off?
Not a Tax accountant, but I believe the donation would still be deductible, as you did not receive a benefit from it buying a ticket on the secondary market.

Reactions: cstrunk

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Two things:
1.) Im out of state and the athletic department hasn’t done anything to come find me and ask me to donate. Not once. Also if I were to donate the entire cyclone club benefits are fairly useless to me since I go to 1 fb game every other year and really only go to away basketball games.

Give us a ticket to the Womens Team at TCU since I’m in the area or something. Anything. Maybe actually sponsor tailgates for Club members at Baylor or TCU or at Austin (any game) instead of relying on the Alumni Association. They basically told everyone to pound sand in Brooklyn this year. A nice pregame party one day would’ve been nice. They barely do anything for bowl games too.

2.) It’s 10x the donation to get a 50 yard line seat at Iowa State than at Alabama due to overall levels and not per seat donations.
I've seen some of this on this thread and elsewhere. Just out of curiosity and to potentially help the communication gap, how would people in your position like to be contacted to be asked to donate?

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
in order to reach the people of today for money it either needs to be a gofundme or an onslaught campaign of dystopian emails, texts, and mailers and just hope that people think it will stop once they donate.
You left out telephone solicitations 24/7. :rolleyes:

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Two things:

So you believe that with a $1,500 donation that you are getting 50 yards at Alabama and ticket costs at $599 for the year. Yeah No. On their website the cost for tickets at the 50 yard line is $1,600 per season ticket on top of the yearly donation.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Thanks for the response. That is total bs. I would like to see these groups, specifically the ones who are really only official game watches to start asking for donations. There has to be what like 10,000 alumni that would be willing to pony up $100 for the betterment of the program. That’s a million bucks right there.
This is exactly my point. I guarantee there are at least 10k alumni out there willing to give a hundred dollars per year.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've seen some of this on this thread and elsewhere. Just out of curiosity and to potentially help the communication gap, how would people in your position like to be contacted to be asked to donate?

Mail me that brochure that was linked earlier with a special out of state statement or something, email would be useful too, maybe text. Begrudgingly also phone call, I personally probably wouldn’t answer it but I know others would.

danwbarrett

Mar 29, 2006
University City, MO
Two things:

You must not be aware that the DFW Cyclone Club sponsors tailgates at every ISU game played in the states of Texas and Oklahoma (barbecues at UT, BU, and probably TCU with BYO elsewhere but they have coordinated the lot locations); co-sponsors with Austin Club at UT. They also buy blocks of game tickets for FB, MBB, and WBB games. They also have game watches for every FB and BB game. Just email them and President Barry Peterson will add you to their email list and you’ll be amazed how they’ll communicate with you:

[email protected]

Last edited:

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
You must not be aware that the DFW Cyclone Club sponsors tailgates at every ISU game played in Texas and Oklahoma; co-sponsors with Austin Club at UT. They also buy blocks of game tickets for FB, MBB, and WBB games. They also have game watches for every FB and BB game.
But do they donate to the athletics dept

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
So you believe that with a $1,500 donation that you are getting 50 yards at Alabama and ticket costs at $599 for the year. Yeah No. On their website the cost for tickets at the 50 yard line is $1,600 per season ticket on top of the yearly donation.

No it’s not? It shows $535 for season tickets and $750 per seat donation.
C6C2D8FE-3533-4BB7-9E67-C7056F8AE29D.jpeg A40FDDE8-E89F-427F-ADEA-DC326287F142.jpeg

Reactions: I@ST1

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Mail me that brochure that was linked earlier with a special out of state statement or something, email would be useful too, maybe text. Begrudgingly also phone call, I personally probably wouldn’t answer it but I know others would.

So is the assumption that the NCC already has all of your contact information and is simply ignoring you because you live out of state, or is it that they don't have any of your contact information?

Reactions: StPaulCyclone

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
You must not be aware that the DFW Cyclone Club sponsors tailgates at every ISU game played in Texas and Oklahoma; co-sponsors with Austin Club at UT. They also buy blocks of game tickets for FB, MBB, and WBB games. They also have game watches for every FB and BB game.

Definitely aware. I go to them regularly. Though they are in a bad spot for younger cyclones that live in the city. They are an alumni association club not an athletics cyclone club as well . I don’t think the athletics department does any clubs

• Winner
Reactions: GoldCy and I@ST1

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
I understand the increase and need to build revenue. And have no problem with it. We had thought about moving up a level, but with the increases, We might actually move down a donor level. We are looking at our perks vs $$ and what we actually get. We currently hold 4 season tickets for football and men's basketball in the non-donor sections. Its what fits our budget.

For us it has more to do with my personal budget vs not wanting to give. My wife and I love to travel and the increase is a fairly hefty amount for us. We don't have the advantage of a group working together or work match for the donation. We will weigh the pros and cons in the next couple of months. But are actually leaning towards decreasing our donation.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
So is the assumption that the NCC already has all of your contact information and is simply ignoring you because you live out of state, or is it that they don't have any of your contact information?

I’ve bought tickets through the AD if contact information is a problem.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Definitely aware. I go to them regularly. Though they are in a bad spot for younger cyclones that live in the city. They are an alumni association club not an athletics cyclone club as well . I don’t think the athletics department does any clubs

Part of the reason the "local" Cyclone Clubs were phased out was because the money wasn't necessarily going to the "national" Cyclone Club.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Part of the reason the "local" Cyclone Clubs were phased out was because the money wasn't necessarily going to the "national" Cyclone Club.

Yea no idea about that and I never assumed the money I pay for certain things for the DFW club ever went to the athletics department. I don’t think they even insinuate that. Usually it’s for cost of food and beer or whatever tailgate expenses. Or at least how I perceive it

Reactions: besserheimerphat