***Official 2022 Weather Thread***

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My research is based on my unscientific study of my racing schedule. Races scheduled for late March and early to mid April have been getting cancelled in the last few years do to cold and snowy conditions at that time.
22 year cycles per Taylor. If you think back to 2000, we had a run of 3 warmer early starts to winter.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
So per Rusty at WOWT, sounds like most of the snow in Omaha area will be later Friday. Trying to decide if go over to Ames early Friday afternoon for the game? Is it maybe arriving a little later than previously thought?

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
My research is based on my unscientific study of my racing schedule. Races scheduled for late March and early to mid April have been getting cancelled in the last few years do to cold and snowy conditions at that time.
I'd have to look up the snow stats, but there may be something to it because I do know Iowa's severe, and particularly tornado season has been starting later recently.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
So I have to drive to Kansas City tomorrow at like 2pm from Des Moines. How screwed am I? KC report says snow starting later at like 7pm.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
So I have to drive to Kansas City tomorrow at like 2pm from Des Moines. How screwed am I? KC report says snow starting later at like 7pm.

I’m not an expert, but I actually think you’ll be fine. Your timing will put you in some snow, but you’re heading in the right direction (away from the heavy stuff).

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I'd have to look up the snow stats, but there may be something to it because I do know Iowa's severe, and particularly tornado season has been starting later recently.
I don't know if the seasons have "shifted" temperature wise or not, it just seems like it's been rare to get much, if any snow in December the last several years, and we've been getting at least one big one in March. We've even had snow recently in early April as well.

Reactions: FDWxMan

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I don't know if the seasons have "shifted" temperature wise or not, it just seems like it's been rare to get much, if any snow in December the last several years, and we've been getting at least one big one in March. We've even had snow recently in early April as well.

Snow in December is really kind of rare, I think. The thought of it being a “snowy” part of the year is based on weather patterns 200+ years ago. Charles Dickens is to blame.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Shifted Des Moines right into the sweet spot....so good.......
FrenchMelodicGemsbuck-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: isutrevman

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
When does Texas get here? We need the whorns to properly take their beating Saturday.