Iowa Beers Release/Distribution Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames

I've never been a big fan, but don't think I've had one of their beers in a few years. Have they gotten better?
I'm kind of surprised 515 never really expanded from their original space doesn't seem too long ago (probably been at least 5 years now) that they were considered one of if not the best in the metro.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
You could have quite the beer tour traveling through the metro, especially when TG and Big Grove open their new locations.

Starting in the West you've got Kinship, BarnTown, 515, Confluence, Exile, Lua, Peace Tree, 1717, Big Grove, and Toppling.
Probably missing a couple.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
You could have quite the beer tour traveling through the metro, especially when TG and Big Grove open their new locations.

Starting in the West you've got Kinship, BarnTown, 515, Confluence, Exile, Lua, Peace Tree, 1717, Big Grove, and Toppling.
Probably missing a couple.
Might as well add Brightside in Altoona and Reclaimed Rails in Bondurant

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

I'm kind of surprised 515 never really expanded from their original space doesn't seem too long ago (probably been at least 5 years now) that they were considered one of if not the best in the metro.

I've thought this too but it seems like brewers either have to stay pretty small or really get big. There doesn't seem to be room for those in between. I'm trying to think of Des Moines brewers in the middle. Maybe Barntown?

Exile, Confluence, Kinship, Peace Tree, etc are what I consider big brewers. Everyone else seems to be pretty small. Some do a little canning but not a ton of it.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I've never been a big fan, but don't think I've had one of their beers in a few years. Have they gotten better?

515 opened in March 2013, so they're coming up on nine years. They definitely could use more space, but I think they like being on the bike trail. It would be awesome if they could expand in their current location -- maybe get the space currently occupied by the Indian grocery store -- but I don't know if that's ever been an option.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I think it's an improvement for Twisted Vine to move -- I've been there a few times, and frankly the spot they are in now is just lifeless. You're not sure if the place is really open or abandoned.

They do have decent beers from time to time, but I don't think I've been there or even checked their offerings since Lua opened. I think I checked their offering and considered dropping in once last year (some sounded good) when I was in town and in the area, but ended up not having time. If I'm checking places to stop for some beer, it's usually limited to:

Lua
Barn Town
Confluence

I'll probably be adding BG to that list when they open.

I can't say the move would make me want to go to TV, but I'm more often in that area (love going to Iowa Taproom) than I am trying to get to their current location. I'm glad they are investing in the move because there's always room for better beer and great competition.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I had never thought much of Twisted Vine but went there right before the Pandemic started, so Feb of 2020. I thought all the beer was good, nothing great, nothing terrible.

I'd put it above or at most of the others in the metro. It's not Confluence or Barn Town or 515. But it's no worse than Reclaimed Rails or Kinship. And better than Mistress or Brightside and some of the lower tiered ones.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
515 is tapping Numb Nut today. It's one of my favorite winter beers.
I'll also be picking up my Iowa Craft Beer Tent Advent calendar on Sunday.
It's a good beer weekend!

Reactions: baller21

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
515 is tapping Numb Nut today. It's one of my favorite winter beers.
I'll also be picking up my Iowa Craft Beer Tent Advent calendar on Sunday.
It's a good beer weekend!
I was tempted to get an advent calendar but I wasn't sure if it would be worth it. I'd be curious what you think of it. I'm not sure if they're different across the state or not.

Reactions: MJ29

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Confluence releasing Melba Wizard and Coffee and Cream Milk Man Stout today.

11/20 Barn Town will have Barrel Aged Cicada Killer.

Reactions: MJ29

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I was tempted to get an advent calendar but I wasn't sure if it would be worth it. I'd be curious what you think of it. I'm not sure if they're different across the state or not.

I followed a few people on social media last year who got them. The order of beers was definitely not identical. I'm anxious to see what all beers are in it this year. I'll be happy to share a listing at the end if you're interested.

Reactions: Nader_uggghhh

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Checked out the new Hy-Vee liquor store (Wall to Wall). Pretty good craft beer selection. I'd put it on the same level as the good Hy-Vee stores (Urbandale, Ankeny Prairie Trail, Waukee).

I forgot to mention where it is. Out by Jordan Creek across from Lowes on the west side of 74th street.

Last edited:

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Anyone found DDH King Sue in DM area yet?

I didn't realize that TG was releasing DDH King Sue in cans. I was looking for it in the bomber bottles, but didn't see either option yet in Cedar Falls yet. This is a great development!

Also, there's a new restaurant in CF called David's Taphouse and Dumplings.

Obviously they serve "dumplings" but it looks like they are craft bar food, if you will. Good food to drink beer with. And they serve beer, cider, cocktails -- but all the beer is TG.

I understand that TG wanted it to be a taphouse, but maybe due to regulation had to offer food. So I believe it's a TG property but has more of a bar and grill flavor to stay within the code of Iowa.

I haven't had the chance to visit yet, but it looks like a great place to stop for a beer/cocktail and a bite to eat.

Reactions: baller21

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron