NBA: Cyclones in the pros 2021-23 (hoops)

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Well, I'm no CycloneRulzzz but we have a request for this year's thread on ISU post-grads plying their trade on the hardwood.

@Cyientist, I was just reading tweets on Niang's night and was thinking that this year's thread was due.

I'll throw out some preseason content to tip it off. I look forward to following our guys and hearing everyone's comments this season.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Well, I'm no CycloneRulzzz but we have a request for this year's thread on ISU post-grads plying their trade on the hardwood.

@Cyientist, I was just reading tweets on Niang's night and was thinking that this year's thread was due.

I'll throw out some preseason content to tip it off. I look forward to following our guys and hearing everyone's comments this season.
Your work in these threads is excellent and very much appreciated.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
So, Georges showed out nicely in front of Philly's (somewhat intolerable) fans. I, for one, can't friggin wait because I live about an hour from Philly and I have a lot of friends that are Sixers fans. Plus, ALL his games will be on my cable system.

Georges had 16 PT in 16 MIN (4-7 from 3PT) and 3 assists. Philly has a bunch of wing shooting this year.

Just Georges stealing the ball and running the break ...

Dang, you forget how quick he's learned to get his shot off. Catch-and-shoot:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Life-long 6ers fan here, going all the way back to Dr. J. What are you hearing will happen with Simmons?
Boy, nobody here seems to think he's coming back. Who knows though - it's hard to move that big of a contract. And someone who can't, um, shoot.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Acylum

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Boy, nobody here seems to think he's coming back. Who know though - it's hard to move that big of a contract. And someone who can't, um, shoot.
“Can’t shoot” is putting it nicely. And this is coming from someone who thinks he’s been misused.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Last night in NBA pre-season:

THT started for the Lakers and scored 11 in 24 minutes but had 5 TOs.

In that same game, Nader had 10 PT off the bench for Phoenix.

Monte started for the Nuggets - is this going to be the plan until Murray comes back? - and had 8 points in 22 minutes. 3 assists and 1 turnover (he's probably rusty).

Haliburton started for the Kings and had 4 PT on icy 2-8 shooting in 28 minutes.

Matt had a solid debut with 11 PT off the bench in the Bulls' blowout win over Cleveland, including 2 3-pointers. He doesn't have a guaranteed contract -- does anyone have a sense of his chances to stick with the Bulls?

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
It's just preseason but here are some comments on Georges' 2nd preseason game from NBC Sports Philadelphia:

Georges Niang's second game with the Sixers showed what he can bring to a team in need of as much scoring as possible.

He hit four of seven three-point attempts, pulled down two rebounds and dished out three assists, and also added a steal while not turning the ball over. Niang played within himself, never trying to do too much - on a team with big names like Embiid, Tobias Harris, and the like, he won't really have many opportunities to do so - but always staying ready to make the right play.

"Georges gives us composure," Rivers said. "Shoots the ball, sneaky driver because of his shot, kind of settles the group down. As I said before camp, he's a big pickup for us. Kind of one of those sneaky ones that no one talks about. But he can make shots and he knows how to play, he's physical."

Niang isn't going to score 16 points every night, but if he can simply terrify defenses from deep and make smart plays as part of the bench unit, he's going to see good minutes.

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sixers-observations-tyrese-maxey-flashes-221056441.html

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Anyone else have NBA League Pass through DISH? I renewed mine through the chat function on their app on Monday, but didn't have access to the channels. Also, can't access through the NBA app.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
What were the years/money that Philly is paying Georges ?

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
What were the years/money that Philly is paying Georges ?
He got a 2-year guaranteed deal; about $3M per yr. Not a big contract by NBA standards. I think his play in the last round of the playoffs cost him some money.

Reactions: JM4CY

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
He got a 2-year guaranteed deal; about $3M per yr. Not a big contract by NBA standards. I think his play in the last round of the playoffs cost him some money.

He's definitely done well for himself, but I agree on the playoffs. If he would have continued the way he looked to end the regular season through the playoffs, I think he would have set himself up for a Monte type deal of around 3 yr $27 million.

It will be interesting to see if he can show some more play-making abilities with the 76ers. The Jazz's second unit with Joe Ingles (6MOTY) and Jordan Clarkson (also in the running for 6MOTY) definitely meant his role was to catch and shoot or get the ball back in those guy's hands.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
He's definitely done well for himself, but I agree on the playoffs. If he would have continued the way he looked to end the regular season through the playoffs, I think he would have set himself up for a Monte type deal of around 3 yr $27 million.

It will be interesting to see if he can show some more play-making abilities with the 76ers. The Jazz's second unit with Joe Ingles (6MOTY) and Jordan Clarkson (also in the running for 6MOTY) definitely meant his role was to catch and shoot or get the ball back in those guy's hands.
Would definitely be fun to see a little more college Georges as he was so fun to watch with the ball in his hands creating.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron