Where Will ISU End Up if the Big 12 Implodes?

Where Will ISU End Up If the Big 12 Implodes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
If I'm Ohio State and hypothetically in the same conference as Georgia Tech I can now recruit Georgia easier. It's simple. Part of the reason Rutgers was added was to shore up New Jersey recruits for schools like Penn State. We seemed to get this when we were talking about the Big 12 expanding all the times prior to this. All I ever heard was how if we added UCF or USF we'd be able to recruit in Florida. Same principle.
ISU is not Ohio State when it comes to recruiting, yes, it would help ISU recruiting one would think if we had a school in the state, but it does not matter to a school like Ohio State or any of the other blue bloods. Look at the lineman 5 years that committed to EIU, when Alabama offered he switched and went there, and started on teams that played in the championship game 3 years and won it once.

Georgia Tech is not leaving the ACC

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I live in the heart of Big 10 country and the media coverage I've been seeing is positive for ISU joining the B1G. Unlike when the Big 12 imploded a decade ago, this time around people seem to think it makes a lot of sense to add ISU. They might not like the idea in Iowa City, but in Ann Arbor, East Lansing and Happy Valley, they seem to think that Iowa State would be a logical addition.

The difficulty for ISU would be the financial implications if ISU leaves and the Big 12 persists in some form. They will owe a lot of money to the conference and would have a lot more trouble covering it than Texas.
If the majority find a home they vote to disband the conference and no one owes anything.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
1. Show me proof of your claim.
2. Tier 3 represents about 5% of the value.
3. Iowa State’s viewership and fan following is one of the highest among Big 12 teams (4th overall) in football.
If the B1G wants to expand its inventory to keep up with the $EC, adding ISU and KU makes a lot of sense.

In my mind, the big questions are:
1. Do the B1G blue bloods want a 16 team super conference now?
2. What are the streaming platforms' (Apple/Amazon/Google, etc) play in the next round of realignment?
But ND and Clemson are not coming to the Big 10 for another 10 to 15 years if at all. aTm nor Mizzou is going to leave the SEC when they are about to make 70 to 80 million a year from their new contracts with ESPN.

EIU fans keep making this same remark, ISU does not move the needle and the league will not expand without a team that can do it. Then you will not be expanding and get left behind by the SEC. The former Big 12 schools will not be sitting around waiting for the Big 10 hoping for seat at the table. They will be looking to move, KU to the ACC and the rest of us to the Pac 12.
Are most saying now that there will now be 4 Power conferences with roughly 16 teams each, 64 total? Also what do you guys think about some of the new P4 conferences going to 18? That would make 66, 68, or even 70 teams/power members.

Scenarios in order of ISU preference:
- BIG: Adds 2, ISU and KU to go to 16 members
- BIG: Adds some combination of 4 to go to 18 members (ISU, KU, Houston, WV, other)(unlikely but even broader fan appeal and now Texas market)
- PAC: Adds 4, TxTech, OkieSt, K-St, Houston (other) to go to 16
- PAC: Adds 6, TxTech, OkieSt, K-St, Houston (TCU, Baylor, BoiseSt) to go to 18
- ACC: Adds 4, WV, TCU, USF, EastCarolina (Baylor) to go to 18/19 (ND)
- ACC: Adds 2, WV, UCF (other) to go to 16/17 (ND)
- SEC: Adds 4, tx and ou (booo!)(and two others per Fed) to go to 18
- SEC: Adds 2, tx and ou to go to 16 (the government allows them to stay at 16)

I could also see the Federal government stepping in to somehow make sure college football stays viable and competitive as a whole. Keep it more or less what we've known. Antitrust, merger rules, anti-monopoly, etc. Limit the NIL. Could the government also require there to be say 70-72 power schools, in the four P4 conferences? That could make everyone maybe a little happier? Could they even require the SEC to add two more (non-blueblood) schools to make their 18? Ha. How would their profit sharing be then with two lesser schools having to be added?

Last edited:

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
How does the Iowa-Iowa State rivalry help Ohio State recruit better players? Even Texas wants a bigger recruiting advantage than they have now. None of the power brokers give a **** about tradition.
It attracts viewers. More viewers means more lucrative TV deals. TV deals generate revenue. Revenue is used to fund recruiting.

Look, if this all predicated on the top line brand names alone, there would be no conferences. Those top brands need someone to play, and the teams the play need some to play. If this wasn’t the case, Notre Dame wouldn’t be essentially the only major independent team. There would be at least a half dozen.

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
Trying this one more time... OU and Texas are going to want the Big 12 to disband so they can get out of their contractual obligations. How many Big 12 teams would need to vote to disband? Would the SEC consider taking 4 Big 12 schools
No

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Adding Iowa State or Kansas does nothing to prevent the SEC from trying to poach Ohio State, Penn State or Michigan in the future. They would also be net-negative cash flow additions - the current member schools would be dividing the cash 16 ways instead of 14, and neither Kansas nor Iowa State is going to bring in enough additional money to justify that decision.

If the Big Ten isn’t able to add schools from the PAC-12 or the ACC, I guess I don’t understand why so many here think that they would be willing to add schools that do not benefit the conference financially.
The truth is that unless the Big 10 can add ND, or USC/UCLA and other big schools there is nothing they can do to stop the SEC from taking those schools.
The schools the Big 10 would like to add, are not available or not interested in coming for one reason or another. They can stay at 14 and give up the fight or try to go to 16 with what is out there and make a go of it.
Either way its probley a losing battle, but by expanding it least it looks like they are trying to do something.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Politics aside, telling the SEC what to do, another Civil War? I hope that's only a joke. They won't like it, being told what to do, but they started it.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
I don't see how Iowa State goes to the B10. I am actually surprised it is an option. Kansas would make more sense in the ACC. Can Iowa State go independent and work something out with TV money? Of course we would make less than the 38 million or whatever it is per year. I just feel like we can't jump to a safe haven when we don't know what is going on.

Reactions: State2015

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The truth is that unless the Big 10 can add ND, or USC/UCLA and other big schools there is nothing they can do to stop the SEC from taking those schools.
The schools the Big 10 would like to add, are not available or not interested in coming for one reason or another. They can stay at 14 and give up the fight or try to go to 16 with what is out there and make a go of it.
Either way its probley a losing battle, but by expanding it least it looks like they are trying to do something.
Again, when does the Federal government step in (or can they even) to try to save college football?

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Uh, Kansas is a freaking blueblood in basketball. Of course they'll bring in some cash.
So, what are you in favor of for ISU? A watered down version of The Big 12? A PAC 10 alliance of some sort?? A AAC affiliation?
All of those are worse options than being in the B1G...
...and you don't seem to even want ISU to make the attempt to get into the B1G.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I hope this all gets resolved over next 2 weeks. There's no way the institutions and coaches are going to want this to be up in the air when football season starts.

• Winner
Reactions: CascadeClone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Trying this one more time... OU and Texas are going to want the Big 12 to disband so they can get out of their contractual obligations. How many Big 12 teams would need to vote to disband? Would the SEC consider taking 4 Big 12 schools
I think the number is 5. If 5 schools leave the conference, it no longer exists and therefore there is no buyout.
Originally it was thought that the remaining schools would hold tight and force OU and UT to make the payout, and then break up the conference. But things are now moving too fast and gaining momentum for that to happen. Now there always could be a "pause" allowing schools to rethink this and slow it down. But if reports are true the OU and UT are officially going to inform the league on Monday that they are 100% leaving, things will start to ramp up.

If only 4 teams left, ISU would be on the hook for a payout, they would have to borrow those funds from the Big 10, which the conference did for Maryland, in fact Maryland owes the league 140 million against future payments for their buyout and to get out of debt.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
you could pack 100 teams into a decentralized conference where algos set scheduling based on location, seed, tv ratings etc. That way its possible to move up and down the ladder but it provides a floor for blue bloods if you weighted tv ratings by 50%. that way the product on the field matters. the content providers hold all the cards here. google could blow the whole thing up disney needs to be careful

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
Again, when does the Federal government step in (or can they even) to try to save college football?
The Federal government has a 35 year backlog of media and business monopolization that needs to be dealt with, which is going to make it difficult for them to jump into college football. It may happen, but it won't happen fast.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It improves it though. Even the Texas people say being in the SEC is a way for them to recruit the SEC states better. This isn't something I'm just dreaming up.
No Texas people are saying that, what they are saying is they are currently losing kids in the state of Texas because they believe to make the NFL they have to play in the SEC. So kids that would have before chosen UT are now going to aTm and other SEC schools because of the idea that is where the future pros play.

Reactions: cytor