Where Will ISU End Up if the Big 12 Implodes?

Where Will ISU End Up If the Big 12 Implodes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ISU4NH

Aug 9, 2020
When your job is eliminated, do you call it retiring?
Those who want to save face will call it retiring. I call it being fired. Eliminating a position is a deliberate management choice and part of the decision making process is to assess the value of the person occupying that position to the company. If the management wants to keep the person in the position, they'll find a way to keep him/her.

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
Reading idiotic, ignorant tweets and Facebook responses from some ISU fans all week---who actually think adding Memphis/UCF/Houston to the Big 12---opposed to joining the Big 10, is the answer.

The dumbest wish ever. Just because some of you hate Iowa or hate the Big 10? Joining the Big 10 would be the only viable option, period.

CloneAlta

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas City, MO
www.floorplanonline.com

A lot of nice things to say from Penn State perspective
Rather condescending IMO. Typical East Coast snobbish backhanded compliment!! " While they haven’t won a confernce title in over a century, Iowa State would have a decent shot to complete well with Wisconsin and Iowa in the far inferior Western Division in the Big Ten Conference. "

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Rather condescending IMO. Typical East Coast snobbish backhanded compliment!! " While they haven’t won a confernce title in over a century, Iowa State would have a decent shot to complete well with Wisconsin and Iowa in the far inferior Western Division in the Big Ten Conference. "

I didn't find it condescending at all. Found it fairly accurate and true.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I didn't find it condescending at all. Found it fairly accurate and true.

Yeah it's not like ISU would just cake walk through that division. If continuing on their current trends, likely hanging around in the top 3.

On the other hands, WI and Iowa fans would think it was just some 'defense optional' crazy spread team without knowing that they go with 3 TE sets regularly.

Reactions: Statefan10

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
I agree that college football will eventually become a one league NFL mini, but why do we think it will be 64 teams? I think it is more likely closer to the 32 teams (those who hold the mega viewership power). Anything after that is just dilution.
Because the powers need bottom feeders to remain powers.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Don’t know, but neither do you. And stop pretending you do. I just understand the process better because I do this type of work in my day job.

Okay, so explain this to me then - if our media rights are so valuable, why do our 3rd tier rights currently lag so far behind somebody like KU?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
ISU already plays the Hoks every year anyway, so it's nothing new to them.

Yeah but they have been claiming to not want to play ISU (although it quieted down when they started winning) but to have to compete with ISU for conference standings is a nightmare for them.

s_ford

Jul 30, 2018
Big 10 would be a great landscape for ISU recruiting. Of course there is Campbell in Ohio and Otz has amazing connections already in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Chicagoland has been good to ISU basketball too.
Which is exactly why they won’t be getting in. No way iowa, Minnesota etc vote for it.

NateTheBoss

Nov 21, 2013
Iowa will fight this tooth and nail. I don’t see the big ten as a realistic landing spot at all. PAC 12 is more likely.
I don't actually think they will. It's better for the state if this happens. Even Iowa came out against us joining the big 10, they alone cannot stop it if the rest of the conference wants us.

Reactions: CentexCyclone

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Okay, so explain this to me then - if our media rights are so valuable, why do our 3rd tier rights currently lag so far behind somebody like KU?
1. Show me proof of your claim.
2. Tier 3 represents about 5% of the value.
3. Iowa State’s viewership and fan following is one of the highest among Big 12 teams (4th overall) in football.

And I already explained the process to you which you apparently don’t understand, so I am done explaining this to you.

Reactions: t-noah

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
As an ISU fan who is as fearful as any right now of our prospects moving forward, even I was surprised by both national news articles and just general Twitter how much love there us for ISU to join the Big 10. Sure, there are still plenty immediately dismissing the idea like everyone would have done 10 years ago, but there is way more in the pro camp than I would have guessed. My how things have apparently changed. I'd almost swear others, including Big 10 fans, are more optimistic about ISU's chances than me.

If the B1G wants to expand its inventory to keep up with the $EC, adding ISU and KU makes a lot of sense. Both schools
  • Are within the geographical footprint (w/lower travel costs)
  • Are culturally similar
  • Are AAU members
  • Have compelling narratives in football (ISU) and basketball (KU and somewhat ISU). Along with passionate fanbases, these schools could bring significant streaming platform subscribers
  • Would bring improved game day gate for current B1G members
In my mind, the big questions are:
1. Do the B1G blue bloods want a 16 team super conference now?
2. What are the streaming platforms' (Apple/Amazon/Google, etc) play in the next round of realignment?

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
Iowa will do what tOSU tells them to do.

I don't agree with the assertion that UofI can stop ISU from coming to the B1G on their own. There will be significant political pressure in IA state gov't to find ISU a soft landing place and if the B1G powers-that-be want ISU (along w/KU), they will get them.

Reactions: Cyder91