Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
I think MN folks will definitely think they're more appealing, but, look at the last time, when they got Little Richard. It's not like he was at the top of anyone's list. The AD had come from VCU and thought his buddy, Shaka, would come on over... lots of others higher on that list than Pitino, Jr... maybe that just means MN & ISU will both be taking a big chance on whomever they/we hire... definitely agree that the talent in the Twin Cities should be appealing, but they've never gotten much of it... and, you'll have to be in a lot of meetings listening to PJ! That'll swing things to our side, without question!

mjdivine

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 28, 2006
I would rate Minnesota as maybe a little more appealing at the moment as I think there are a few short term bonuses over ISU... somewhat better in-state recruits, shorter rebuild potential, a more fractured conference to potentially make inroads with.

With that said, I would anticipate we'll have a bit different guys we're looking at with not as much crossover as one might think.
So many riddles.

Could you expand on what you said? What criteria in a coach might Minnesota be looking for that ISU wouldn't? Are there particular names that have been floated that you think would be a good fit with one but not the other? Are you saying this based on inside information you have? Do you know for a fact that ISU will be moving on from Steve in a week or two? Any idea where Jimmy Hoffa is buried?

So many riddles.

• Haha
Reactions: psychlone99

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Minnesota is likely looking at Smith, Medved, and Dennis Gates of Cleveland State, in no particular order. The other interesting name is Brian Dutcher of San Diego State, who has a hefty buyout of about $6 million with one exception written into his contract - the buyout if he leaves for Minnesota is only $1 million.

That's noteworthy. My guess is it's either Dutcher or Medved for the Gophs.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Prohm has already blown up the program, so maybe not. In all seriousness though, I did not know who this Tod Kowalczyk guy was Until someone through his name out. Then I did some research on him and came away impressed. He has Toledo is first place in the MAC at the moment.

Tpups21

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
I would rate Minnesota as maybe a little more appealing at the moment as I think there are a few short term bonuses over ISU... somewhat better in-state recruits, shorter rebuild potential, a more fractured conference to potentially make inroads with.

With that said, I would anticipate we'll have a bit different guys we're looking at with not as much crossover as one might think.
I think it’s safe to assume Minnesota won’t go after T.J.

Reactions: legi

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
There's a huge difference between being the CEO/CFO setting your financial plan vs a department head being given a cost budget. Financial plan includes revenues and strategic initiatives.

Make no mistake, Jamie is the CEO/CFO of Iowa State Athletics Inc.

1) You don't know my job
2) Jamie still has people he is accountable to regarding his budget.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
i feel like other than Floyd Iowa State has essentially just settled for a basketball coach. I don’t think Eustacy was a hot up and comer (though he brought 1.7 years of pretty good success). Wayne Morgan seems like our pinnacle of settling. Maybe McD was a reach but a minuscule one. Fred was kind of settling but a pretty big chance at the same time. TJ would have been a settle but then we reverse lindied into settling for Prohm.

I guess Iowa State is just not a program that is all that attractive other than a stepping stone. Is it impossible to recruit here? Too tough a conference to coach in? Not enough $ or fan support? Too high of fan expectations? Poor facilities? Not a close enough airport? What?

JustAFleshWound

Apr 21, 2015
That's noteworthy. My guess is it's either Dutcher or Medved for the Gophs.
Medved will get a long look. He's from Roseville, he went to the U of M, was a student manager there, coached as an assistant there for one season, his parents still live there, and he has strong connections with the high school and club programs in the Cities.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
i feel like other than Floyd Iowa State has essentially just settled for a basketball coach. I don’t think Eustacy was a hot up and comer (though he brought 1.7 years of pretty good success). Wayne Morgan seems like our pinnacle of settling. Maybe McD was a reach but a minuscule one. Fred was kind of settling but a pretty big chance at the same time. TJ would have been a settle but then we reverse lindied into settling for Prohm.

I guess Iowa State is just not a program that is all that attractive other than a stepping stone. Is it impossible to recruit here? Too tough a conference to coach in? Not enough $ or fan support? Too high of fan expectations? Poor facilities? Not a close enough airport? What?
It's not impossible to recruit here. Hoiberg and Prohm proved that. We were in a terrific spot financially until COVID happened. Our fan support is second to none (or at least was until the past 3 years). Our facilities are constantly upgrading as per the renovations currently happening and those still in the works.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

If you step back and look at our history we’re a lower Middle tier program. We don’t pay that well, we have a great stadium but not great facilities, people don’t want to live in Iowa, and our conference is a beast that we are the northern outpost of. When you bring in a guy that doesn’t understand the culture and lifestyle that he’s going to be in it can create a big problem. We have a cool basketball history and tradition but it’s not necessarily a very successful tradition.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
So many riddles.

Could you expand on what you said? What criteria in a coach might Minnesota be looking for that ISU wouldn't? Are there particular names that have been floated that you think would be a good fit with one but not the other? Are you saying this based on inside information you have? Do you know for a fact that ISU will be moving on from Steve in a week or two? Any idea where Jimmy Hoffa is buried?

So many riddles.

When you find Hoffa, he’ll have a note in his right pants pocket with the name of the next ISU MBB coach on it. But does that mean the next coach had something to do with his disappearance? Hmm, you’ll have to ask Frankie The Nose about that.

• Funny
Reactions: mjdivine

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

We've often tried to hire based on the style of the coach who left and who was left on the roster. Eustachy was a recommendation from Floyd if I remember correctly and played a similar defensive style. Morgan was hired to keep Stinson, Blalock, and Co. intact. McDermott was hired to rebuild the program and failed. Hoiberg was the one home run but didn't come without significant risks. And Prohm was hired for a lot of the reasons Morgan was hired. Now we're back to rebuilding from scratch.

That's a tough sell, and I don't envy Pollard's position here.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011

Feel like Iowa State basketball may need to have a complete identity shift this go around. Fred tried to bring back the Orr excitement. Floyd and Larry each had their own styles. Both emphasized defense, running and physicality more than Orr & Fred.

Morgan pressed and got out in transition when they were doing well. I honestly don't know what you would say McD's teams did other than Craig Brackins.

I would be fine if we took on a completely different identity, may solve some recruiting difficulties. Get a bunch of 6'6" bruisers, try to out WVU WVU? Something. KU, TX, Baylor, and now TTU are going to get the length and athleticism. Have to have 'something' be our hallmark though.

Not sure what it will be, but want to have something that fans know they can hang their hat on.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Feel like Iowa State basketball may need to have a complete identity shift this go around. Fred tried to bring back the Orr excitement. Floyd and Larry each had their own styles. Both emphasized defense, running and physicality more than Orr & Fred.

Morgan pressed and got out in transition when they were doing well. I honestly don't know what you would say McD's teams did other than Craig Brackins.

I would be fine if we took on a completely different identity, may solve some recruiting difficulties. Get a bunch of 6'6" bruisers, try to out WVU WVU? Something. KU, TX, Baylor, and now TTU are going to get the length and athleticism. Have to have 'something' be our hallmark though.

Not sure what it will be, but want to have something that fans know they can hang their hat on.

It needs to be 3pt shooting.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron