Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
That’s not how businesses work. Pollard runs the ISU AD business so guess who is responsible for funding that business? JP
College athletics is a different kind of business. The largest revenue stream is from donors, followed by ticket sales and allocations from conferences and the NCAA. It is true that our fans have been on the "cheaper" side, compared to fans at other P5 conference schools. It's kind of hard to keep up with the college athletics arms race as an athletic director if you can't afford it. Cael left because he thought his coaching ability was valued more than what we could afford to pay. Fred toyed with taking the Minnesota job briefly because of the same reason. You have to keep your coaches happy financially. I do think things are starting to change here, especially how we are now able to do things like hire Dresser away from VT, fund fun features like our fancy bridge in whole, and pay off unsuccessful coach's contracts (rumor).

• Agree
Reactions: Yellow Snow

Clonestarred

Oct 5, 2020
College athletics is a different kind of business. The largest revenue stream is from donors, followed by ticket sales and allocations from conferences and the NCAA. It is true that our fans have been on the "cheaper" side, compared to fans at other P5 conference schools. It's kind of hard to keep up with the college athletics arms race as an athletic director if you can't afford it. Cael left because he thought his coaching ability was valued more than what we could afford to pay. Fred toyed with taking the Minnesota job briefly because of the same reason. You have to keep your coaches happy financially. I do think things are starting to change here, especially how we are now able to do things like hire Dresser away from VT, fund fun features like our fancy bridge in whole, and pay off unsuccessful coach's contracts (rumor).
While donors are a big source for athletic departments, TV revenue is very high up on the list.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan4St8

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
That’s fair, but then like half of the CPR’s success is credited to another coach. Still a mess of a situation

Yeah, CPR is a lot like Prohm in that his good years came with the previous coaches recruits (but I think he was a better coach, abs certainly more likeable than Prohm with how fiery he was in standing up for his players and ISU). I think CPR actually picked up his recruiting a lot in his last coupe years which benefitted the program in the long run.

Reactions: Hoggins

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I think that's simplifying the Fred/KJ/Cael situations.

Cael couldn't past Iowa and talent for wrestling was shifting to OH/PA where he would be located. Plus he'd just have a lot bigger budget there.

KJ wasn't ever going to get the facilities for gymnastics that she was getting at OU. We weren't building a gymnastics facility in the 10s of millions of dollars and we wouldn't do it now even with a lot bigger budget.

Fred thought he could lock down MN recruiting which would basically make recruiting a lot easier, something we all know he hated.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
The fact that Pollard hired and has retained CMC buys him a lot of misses when it comes to other sports. A baseball analogy would be it’s not how well you hit when the bases are empty, but how well you hit with runners in scoring position. Pollard made the greatest hire in the history of ISU sports. It’s important not to lose sight of that fact.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

I feel like you may be right with your athletics dept income if it were maybe 15 years ago but I would think tv deals and income around that is much higher on the list than you think. Would venture to guess it’s probably a higher revenue source than ticket sales

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I feel like you may be right with your athletics dept income if it were maybe 15 years ago but I would think tv deals and income around that is much higher on the list than you think. Would venture to guess it’s probably a higher revenue source than ticket sales

TV revenue dwarfs all other sources of income.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
While donors are a big source for athletic departments, TV revenue is very high up on the list.
The NCAA website combines media rights with NCAA/Conference/Bowl distributions, which has it as the largest revenue stream for all FBS schools, combined. My Sport Finance book I have for my course I'm currently in for my master's program indicated a median value for those categories of revenue and has donations as the highest median earner.

Regardless, the allocations from conference, media, and NCAA are more of a fixed figure of revenue where donations/gifts are more variable.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Sounds like Brey might be done at Notre Dame which coincides with what I've heard about them really focused on my #1 target Anthony Grant. We shall see. If that does happen does McCaffrey try to get ND gig and DeVries move into IC? Lots of dominos, just spitballing and bored.

• Haha
Reactions: mynameisjonas

Clonestarred

Oct 5, 2020
The NCAA website combines media rights with NCAA/Conference/Bowl distributions, which has it as the largest revenue stream for all FBS schools, combined. My Sport Finance book I have for my course I'm currently in for my master's program indicated a median value for those categories of revenue and has donations as the highest median earner.

Regardless, the allocations from conference, media, and NCAA are more of a fixed figure of revenue where donations/gifts are more variable.
Makes sense because the playing field is uneven when it comes to donations. Places like UT have huge donations resources, and they dwarf TV revenue. That is not the case at ISU.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Sounds like Brey might be done at Notre Dame which coincides with what I've heard about them really focused on my #1 target Anthony Grant. We shall see. If that does happen does McCaffrey try to get ND gig and DeVries move into IC? Lots of dominos, just spitballing and bored.

I could see Fran lobbying for the ND job. Not sure I want DeVries at Iowa though.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.

Who knows, but I would be surprised if ND would want to see MadFran on their courtside. Maybe the old assistant coach version of Fran, but not the MadFran he has evolved into.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Makes sense because the playing field is uneven when it comes to donations. Places like UT have huge donations resources, and they dwarf TV revenue. That is not the case at ISU.
I guess that is true. My book was just giving more of just a general idea with a median value. I found this info from the NCAA on revenues at Iowa State up until 2019, and yeah we definitely ride those allocations.

Screenshot 2021-02-28 105431.png

Reactions: Clonestarred

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
Beilein’s name has come up with ND also.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
JP has been ok. His facilities planning has been great, but his coaching hires have been mediocre at best. GMac, Chizik, and Prohm were disasters. CPR was ok. Hoiberg and Campbell were great, but he also lost Kindler and Sanderson (only the greatest active coach in the entire sport whose an alum).Honestly, without Campbell this fanbase would be having an entirely different conversation about replacing JP.

Were you even around Iowa State then in the Gene Smith and Van De Velde days. Granted Smith I don’t think had much $$ to work with but they did nothing to enhance facilities and build up programs. What Pollard has done so far is far from just ok to where we were .

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Are you sure about this? Normally in termination cases the buyout is due within 30 days or something along those lines.
Not sure about buyout being due within 30 days. Most of the time a coaches buyout is reduced by the coaches salary at their new school. So that would seem to dictate the buyout payments occur over years. That would also be consistent with media reports where you hear so&so school (aka KU) is still paying salaries for 2 or 3 football coaches.

Also if donor buyout money is limited, nothing says ISU has to hire a current head coach. Every head coach was a rising assistant at some time. So maybe the best option would be hiring a P5 assistant. Okie States coach was an assistant with Underwood.

I know that scares some people, but I would rather hire a Baylor, TT, Ohio State, Mich State assistant than pay UNLV (or any school) a multi millions buyout.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
Prohm's buyout eliminates his salary, TJ's would replace his salary, so there's no "extra" salary that you're paying.
That’s saying that we really have donors that pay for all the buyouts. Than yes you wouldn’t have to consider that. But just saying ok here you know a guy that saw a guy that once said they are willing to spend millions and millions of dollars to make this all happens I think we have to error on the side what the athletic department will have to come up with something and what deals they make will fall on there money and budget.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Isn't this the kind of stuff that keeps killing Texas football? Donors running the program vicariously? I want CSP gone after this year, but I don't know if I want donors dictating the next hire.

Just my 2 cents....

I tend to agree. It would be naive to believe large $ donors don't want influence or access. But to give the decision to a donor, is a slippery slope.

Being more about the donors best interest vs. ISU's best interest.

Also could create a situation where possibility of NCAA violations occur.