Matt Campbell Interview

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
How has this not been posted here yet??

at the end asked about his name being thrown out for every open job for NFL or "big school".. and you're staying at Iowa State, why is the fit for you the perfect one with Iowa State.
MC-I never got into this profession to chase jobs, you know my greatest thing that I'll be honest with you my goal in life was to come back to Perry sometime and coach for coach Wakefield, that's really what everybody says what was your dream job, I said boy that's what I would love to do. and I feel so blessed to be in a situation like we are, and be able to build and authentic real football program that's not built on hype and built on a lot of other things, but it's really built on people, it's built on development and building a program from the ground up.

Last edited:

aauummm

March is National Celery Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
They mentioned Stark County a couple of times and that would be Canton and also Massillon, Matt and Kyle Kempt's hometown. They mentioned Perry High School which is in Massillon. Matt played for Perry HS and Kyle played for Massillon HS. Funny coincidence is that Brock Purdy also played at a Perry High School, except it was in Gilbert, Arizona.

Campbell and Kempt- Stark County, Ohio

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They mentioned Stark County a couple of times and that would be Canton and also Massillon, Matt and Kyle Kempt's hometown. They mentioned Perry High School which is in Massillon. Matt played for Perry HS and Kyle played for Massillon HS. Funny coincidence is that Brock Purdy also played at a Perry High School, except it was in Gilbert, Arizona.

Campbell and Kempt- Stark County, Ohio
David Carr our top wrestler is a Perry alum.

aauummm

March is National Celery Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I thought we did a great job of explaining it to them. They just didnt listen.
You did a good job of it. As I recall, you were very patient with them and they just couldn't get it. They kept insisting that they could throw a bunch of money at him and he'd be theirs.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I feel like this entire interview was my post I made back in November about Kehres and Wakefield.... And it was on one of the two AM radio stations I grew up listening to on Friday nights for high school football scores.

Speaking of Mount Union, it got me thinking.

Attitude and effort.

Unless you follow D3 or are from an area with a D3 powerhouse you wouldn’t know much about them but Mount Union is where a good chunk of our coaching staff came from, they were all assistants or played for a man named Larry Kehres.

Larry is one of if not the winningest coach in NCAA history. From 1986-2012 he lost 23 games, 10 of which were in the first 4 years, 5 in the national championship game, and 7 others in the playoffs. He’s a winning machine. Won 11 national titles (3 while CMC was a player and 2 while he was a coach). He preaches about getting guys of all shapes sizes and talent and is able to win football games like it's nothing. Why?

Attitude and effort.

Kehres has a whole mantra of attitude and effort being more important than talent because those don’t require talent to be successful at. It reminds me of a lot of a particular high school coach... Keith Wakefield. That’s a name I expect no one to know but he was Campbell’s high school coach. Wakefield has a similar mantra and is one of the winningest coaches in Ohio High School history. In fact just a couple years ago he took back over the Perry football team and went from winless to state runners up in two seasons. You know why?

Attitude and effort.

Let me talk about Perry real quick. People don't realize Perry is in Massillon Ohio. Yes, that Massillon. The one that ESPN fawns over every HOF game. This is the town that gives the children footballs with a big block orange M on it when they are born. That High School (Massillon Washington) has a multi-million dollar indoor practice facility, I'm not kidding... look at this thing:

pd_1b.jpg

Campbell grew up in Massillon. He had the opportunity to go to Massillon Washington or to Massillon Perry. He chose Perry and won 3 League championships doing it too.

Matt Campbell is ******* wired different. He has a chip on his shoulder for no reason other than attitude and effort.

Maybe I talked myself into him staying forever here but I am just happy to be here for the ride.