burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Jerry Rice is the greatest receiver of all time. Randy Moss is the best receiver of all time. Moss didn't have the longevity, or the production, but in terms of pure skill...
Calvin Johnson was the most physically dominant receiver I’ve ever seen, I’d give him the edge over Moss for pure skill. He mainly just played on terrible teams, although the same could be said for Moss other than a few years.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Purdy is great, but man oh man he has made some major mind blowing mistakes. That turnover against UNI in 2019, the fumble against Iowa where there was really no reason to fumble, he was just carelessly carrying the football. But the ones that really hurt were in the last drive in the Big 12 title game. The play or two before he threw the pick, he had nothing but green in front of him, he could have ran for the first down easily but instead he threw it into coverage to Chase Allen. Just a horrible horrible decision. With that said, he was a main reason we were in the title in the first place. It's just that he blew a great opportunity there.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Fun discussion as no matter which way one leans, we are talking about GREAT Cyclones so we can't lose! In the spirit of discussion (versus argument) about Troy or Breece as greatest ISU RB of all time, a few responses:

You stated: "I get Troy was fantastic, I am not saying he wasn't. But if he doesn't have the top spot in the majority of records (which he probably wont after next year),.. how can he be considered the best?

Me: But he does hold most of the records. I fully believe Breece, if he remains healthy (man that hurt to even type that!) he will pass some of them, but certainly not all. Let's look at some of those stats:

Troy DavisBreece HallComments
Yards per Career
4,382​
2,469​
Troy's total 1st all-time for ISU. Breece's totals include the bowl game, but currently don't quite crack top 10 all time. Breece could surpass Troy's total with 1,914 yards next year. If he duplicates this year, he would still trail Troy by ~300 yards.
Season rushing yards
2,185​
1,572​
Breece's total (in 12 games) is 3rd all time. Troy, has 1st & 2nd, both over 2,000 (both in 11 games)
Rushing attempts career
782​
465​
Rushing attempts season
402​
279​
Yards per carry
5.6​
5.3​
Rushing touchdowns in a game
5​
3​
Troy did this twice
Rushing touchdowns in a season
21​
21​
Troy & Breece are tied for 1st, and Troy also holds 5th at 16. Breece could certainly surpass this record.
Rushing touchdowns career
36​
30​
Troy leads, but Breece only needs 8 to pass and he had 21 this season so likely to surpass the career mark.
Touchdowns in a season.
21​
23​
Total Touchdowns
38​
33​
If he stays healthy, Breece will likely eclipse this record
100+ yard games
21​
13​
200+ yard games
9​
0​
Most rushing yards 1 game
378​
185​
Troy has top three games in ISU history. Breece not yet in the top 10.
Receptions
33​
46​
Breece used more in passing game as a receiver.
Receiving Yards
258​
432​
Breece is already a more productive receiver.
Receiving TDs
1​
3​
Breece already leads and is likely to add to it.
Return yards
537​
0​
Troy had a 29.8 yard/retun career average on 18 returns. Breece not used in the kick receive game
All purpose yards
5,177​
2,901​
Freshman All-American
0​
1xTroy barely played as a Freshman an Breece had an outstanding freshman season. We can compare sophomore years, but Breece still has his junior year in front of him.
Concensus All American2x1xNeed 3 of 5 votes to reach this level. Breece received all 5 this year. Troy received 4 votes each of 2 seasons.
Unanimous 1st String All American
0​
1XBreece only unanimous 1st String All American in ISU histroy.
Heisman Finalist5th & 2nd6th

So Breece will break a few of the records, total touchdowns, rushing touchdowns in a career, potentially 100 yards games, and maybe others. The rushing yards in a season stay is a little skewed based on era. Troy got 402 carries in the year he ran for 2185. Breece only had 279 carries this past year in 12 games. What if Breece got as many carries as Troy did? I can tell you he would’ve had closer to, if not more than 2000 yards this year....

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
So Breece will break a few of the records, total touchdowns, rushing touchdowns in a career, potentially 100 yards games, and maybe others. The rushing yards in a season stay is a little skewed based on era. Troy got 402 carries in the year he ran for 2185. Breece only had 279 carries this past year in 12 games. What if Breece got as many carries as Troy did? I can tell you he would’ve had closer to, if not more than 2000 yards this year....

not many backs can hold up like Troy. That is what made Troy so great, he was as durable as they come. I doubt Breece can hold up like Troy did, not many backs can do that.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
not many backs can hold up like Troy. That is what made Troy so great, he was as durable as they come. I doubt Breece can hold up like Troy did, not many backs can do that.

Or offenses aren’t run like that. I bet Breece could’ve gotten close to 2000 yards if we handed it off more. Game has changed.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Or offenses aren’t run like that. I bet Breece could’ve gotten close to 2000 yards if we handed it off more. Game has changed.
But could Breece hold up like that if we gave it to him more?

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Troy still had a slightly higher yards per carry advantage.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
But could Breece hold up like that if we gave it to him more?

We don't know, and we'll never know, because honestly it's probably a borderline moral issue to hand the ball off that much with what we know now.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Troys ypc was 5.4 in the year he got 2185. Breece’s was 5.6 last year...

True, as I was using career stats. However in the same point you make, in the year Troy had 2,010 yards (2nd most all time at ISU) in his sophomore year, he averaged 5.8 yards per carry.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
How would we ever know? That’s not our offense. And what’s to say he wouldn’t?
In my lifetime I've witnessed 5 truly great running backs play for Iowa St. In chronological order Green, Crutchfield, Davis, Montgomery and Hall. Of those Davis and Hall are the two that have legitimate stakes at the top rung.

Dismissing Davis because of the W-L record tells you never saw him play. To get 400 carries in a season requires more than durability. You also need production on ever play. Troy was great at getting yards when there was nothing to gain. Hall breaks huge gains but also has a slew of no gains and one yarder. Davis could get 40 carries in a game because we were rarely forced into passing situations save penalties.

For those that never saw Davis play I will share his greatest attributes vision and his ability to make a cut without losing a stride. When he got to the open field it was truly playing chess while the D only had checkers.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Nope....Austin Flynn! According too Todd Blythe...They would get drunk in a bar and knock hawk fans hats off their head. He's a Hero in my book!

If I remember one thing about Flynn through the rest of my years, it will be the announcer saying "Flynn on the keeper!" What was actually a drop back pass turns into Flynn running for his life, tackled for a two yard loss.

Not saying this to dog on the guy, it's just what I will always remember.

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
We don't know, and we'll never know, because honestly it's probably a borderline moral issue to hand the ball off that much with what we know now.

And they would need to find Breece shoulderpads that are 5x's the size of his current ones.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If I remember one thing about Flynn through the rest of my years, it will be the announcer saying "Flynn on the keeper!" What was actually a drop back pass turns into Flynn running for his life, tackled for a two yard loss.

Not saying this to dog on the guy, it's just what I will always remember.
And the world's hottest girlfriend. (Texans cheerleader)

Serious, if Dean can be as productive at his post QB position he'll be one he'll of a TE.

Reactions: 06_CY

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
True Story: I attended the 1995 UNLV @ Iowa State game with a buddy the day before I moved out of state. Troy ran for 302 that day which was the school record in a game until he broke it in 1996 with 378 vs. Mizzou (I returned for that game!).

At some point during the UNLV game, it was 3rd and really long (maybe 24 yards or so). My buddy asked me what do you call here? I said, give it to Troy and see what happens! They gave it to Troy, and he rumbled for a TD. That was TD in a nutshell.

Reactions: VeloClone