AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Ehhh, he did deliver back to back 2,000 yard seasons when the defense knew all along who was getting the ball. I do realize you stated Ws but one person alone can’t deliver those. Not even Brock Purdy. For the record I love the era of this football team and Brock Purdy.

I'd rather have winners on my team than people who are so insecure about their legacy 25 years later that they throw a fit about someone wearing their jersey number. I can see why he was worried now though, Breece is probably going to overtake all of his records except for yards in a season.

• Agree
  • Dumb
Reactions: 06_CY and 83cy

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I understand how good Randy Moss is. That’s not the point. Have you seen Jerry Rice play?
Lol yes. I think Jerry ran a 4.7 at the combine. He sure looked faster than that on the field. He was probably the greatest route runner of all time. We're really arguing about criteria, not legitimacy.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'd rather have winners on my team than people who are so insecure about their legacy 25 years later that they throw a fit about someone wearing their jersey number. I can see why he was worried now though, Breece is probably going to overtake all of his records except for yards in a season.
I get what you're saying but Troy got screwed out of two heisman's. McCarney had an unwritten rule if it was that important he should have made it permanent. Still doesn't make it mean anything less to Troy who was basically snubbed for the last 20 years until he was finally inducted into the Hall of Fame.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I think what has continued to separate Brock is his leadership and who he is as a person. He's a truly unique person and is at a position (quarterback) where he can lead the team to victory.

He will leave here the all-time winningest quarterback/player in school history. Will own every record. Will be drafted and have a nice career in the NFL. Seriously, what else can a guy do?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think what has continued to separate Brock is his leadership and who he is as a person. He's a truly unique person and is at a position (quarterback) where he can lead the team to victory.

He will leave here the all-time winningest quarterback/player in school history. Will own every record. Will be drafted and have a nice career in the NFL. Seriously, what else can a guy do?
I think he is the greatest player here of all time. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him dethroned if Campbell stays for the long haul. Brock's arm strength will give him problems in the NFL IMO.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

He probably won't top Lanning's single game record of rushing TDs by a QB. A million TDs is tough to beat.

• Agree
Reactions: dualthreat

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
There may have been more athletic players, or better arms, or better stories, but pound-for-pound, looking at the body of work, #15 is the greatest to ever don the cardinal and gold. It was true before today and now it has been affirmed.
Nope....Austin Flynn! According too Todd Blythe...They would get drunk in a bar and knock hawk fans hats off their head. He's a Hero in my book!

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Nice troll attempt.

Why do you say troll attempt? I was just responding to the post that said individual performance was always trumped by wins. I disagreed, and was doing so by showing a corollary to his argument to show why. The tone of the post I responded to came off to me as "this is fact and there is no valid argument against" which I used an example to show there is a potential flaw in that argument. Save the "troll" name calling for the Hawk lurkers. I did my undergrad and grad work at ISU.

Breece Hall may well end up being the greatest running back, or even greatest player, ever at ISU. I love how he looks almost effortless in the way he moves. However, today, I would say at least the best running back in ISU history https://cyclones.com/sports/2015/3/2/GEN_20140101208 is still held by Troy Davis, although I could make the case for Breece too. Troy had 2 back-to-back 2,000+ yard seasons, and his yards after contact were even better than Montgomery's. He was a consensus 1st Team All-American 2 years in a row. He was also top five in the Heisman voting two years in a row on a team that didn't didn't have a winning record either year. Other teams were putting 8+ in the box to stop him and still couldn't. I would love nothing better than to have Breece eclipse Troy's performance and to have a productive NFL career (Troy had a taste of that but didn't stick).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 83cy

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA

We don't have to denigrate a Cyclone legend to celebrate Breece's greatness. Can't we enjoy them both?

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
We don't have to denigrate a Cyclone legend to celebrate Breece's greatness. Can't we enjoy them both?

Not when you’re debating who is the best. My point is you can’t be the best ever if you aren’t even the best in your position.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Not when you’re debating who is the best. My point is you can’t be the best ever if you aren’t even the best in your position.

I have loved watching both guys. Breece may very well surpass Troy as the greatest running back in ISU history, but while I get the argument and it's fun to have about greatness, in my mind Troy hasn't been dethroned from that role yet based on his back-to-back 2,000 yard years, twice named consensus All- American (I realize Breece was unanimous, but felt Troy should have been too), and twice in the top five of the Heisman race. Next year may well prove to be the time that Breece's accomplishments surpass Troy's, I just don't believe it is as clear cut to say they already have. For those who never saw Troy play, here is a promo video . At about the 4 minute mark, they show a couple of plays that demonstrate how great he was at picking up the blitz pass blocking.

I am excited to see these once-in-al-lifetime talents actually disprove that as we have now seen two of them at ISU and I can't wait to see what Breece will accomplish next year!

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I have loved watching both guys. Breece may very well surpass Troy as the greatest running back in ISU history, but while I get the argument and it's fun to have about greatness, in my mind Troy hasn't been dethroned from that role yet based on his back-to-back 2,000 yard years, twice named consensus All- American (I realize Breece was unanimous, but felt Troy should have been too), and twice in the top five of the Heisman race. Next year may well prove to be the time that Breece's accomplishments surpass Troy's, I just don't believe it is as clear cut to say they already have. For those who never saw Troy play, here is a promo video . At about the 4 minute mark, they show a couple of plays that demonstrate how great he was at picking up the blitz pass blocking.

I am excited to see these once-in-al-lifetime talents actually disprove that as we have now seen two of them at ISU and I can't wait to see what Breece will accomplish next year!

I get Troy was fantastic, I am not saying he wasn't. But if he doesn't have the top spot in the majority of records (which he probably wont after next year), and if the teams he was on didn't win (2 conference wins in 3 years, 5 wins total in 3 years) how can he be considered the best? You have to have one of those criteria to be considered the best.

Also, just because you "feel" like Troy should have been unanimous, he wasn't. Feelings don't matter when it comes to awards. If that were the case, Troy was a Heisman, been a 2 time Doak Walker, and a 2 time Unanimous All American according to the poster on this site.

Troy was the only thing most ISU fans could hang their hat on for years. I know it's going to be hard for a lot of you to let go, don't get me wrong, he is one of the best players of all time at ISU, but he isn't the greatest.

• Disagree
Reactions: 83cy

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I get Troy was fantastic, I am not saying he wasn't. But if he doesn't have the top spot in the majority of records (which he probably wont after next year), and if the teams he was on didn't win (2 conference wins in 3 years, 5 wins total in 3 years) how can he be considered the best? You have to have one of those criteria to be considered the best.
As for the lack of wins, not TD's fault. The offense scored enough points to win games, but the defense was A-W-F-U-L. I've seen a full season of each player in person (TD in 1995 and BH in 2020). Both are GREAT, but Troy Davis has my vote!

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA

Also, just because you "feel" like Troy should have been unanimous, he wasn't. Feelings don't matter when it comes to awards. If that were the case, Troy was a Heisman, been a 2 time Doak Walker, and a 2 time Unanimous All American according to the poster on this site.

Troy was the only thing most ISU fans could hang their hat on for years. I know it's going to be hard for a lot of you to let go, don't get me wrong, he is one of the best players of all time at ISU, but he isn't the greatest.

Fun discussion as no matter which way one leans, we are talking about GREAT Cyclones so we can't lose! In the spirit of discussion (versus argument) about Troy or Breece as greatest ISU RB of all time, a few responses:

You stated: "I get Troy was fantastic, I am not saying he wasn't. But if he doesn't have the top spot in the majority of records (which he probably wont after next year),.. how can he be considered the best?

Me: But he does hold most of the records. I fully believe Breece, if he remains healthy (man that hurt to even type that!) he will pass some of them, but certainly not all. Let's look at some of those stats:

Troy DavisBreece HallComments
Yards per Career
4,382​
2,469​
Troy's total 1st all-time for ISU. Breece's totals include the bowl game, but currently don't quite crack top 10 all time. Breece could surpass Troy's total with 1,914 yards next year. If he duplicates this year, he would still trail Troy by ~300 yards.
Season rushing yards
2,185​
1,572​
Breece's total (in 12 games) is 3rd all time. Troy, has 1st & 2nd, both over 2,000 (both in 11 games)
Rushing attempts career
782​
465​
Rushing attempts season
402​
279​
Yards per carry
5.6​
5.3​
Rushing touchdowns in a game
5​
3​
Troy did this twice
Rushing touchdowns in a season
21​
21​
Troy & Breece are tied for 1st, and Troy also holds 5th at 16. Breece could certainly surpass this record.
Rushing touchdowns career
36​
30​
Troy leads, but Breece only needs 8 to pass and he had 21 this season so likely to surpass the career mark.
Touchdowns in a season.
21​
23​
Total Touchdowns
38​
33​
If he stays healthy, Breece will likely eclipse this record
100+ yard games
21​
13​
200+ yard games
9​
0​
Most rushing yards 1 game
378​
185​
Troy has top three games in ISU history. Breece not yet in the top 10.
Receptions
33​
46​
Breece used more in passing game as a receiver.
Receiving Yards
258​
432​
Breece is already a more productive receiver.
Receiving TDs
1​
3​
Breece already leads and is likely to add to it.
Return yards
537​
0​
Troy had a 29.8 yard/retun career average on 18 returns. Breece not used in the kick receive game
All purpose yards
5,177​
2,901​
Freshman All-American
0​
1xTroy barely played as a Freshman an Breece had an outstanding freshman season. We can compare sophomore years, but Breece still has his junior year in front of him.
Concensus All American2x1xNeed 3 of 5 votes to reach this level. Breece received all 5 this year. Troy received 4 votes each of 2 seasons.
Unanimous 1st String All American
0​
1XBreece only unanimous 1st String All American in ISU histroy.
Heisman Finalist5th & 2nd6th

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
What are you 12?