• Fire Prohm as head coach immediately and pay buyout

• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Didn't want to start a new thread, but it may be interesting in this thread to note Kansas just lost their 3rd game in a row. Not sure if that's happened in the last 30-yrs, or so.

It bolsters the position that KU would be better served to self-impose a ban on post-season play this year.

View attachment 81055

Happened less than ten years ago (2013) but still rare

Reactions: Go2Guy

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Yes, Marshall wanted us but also a crazy salary if memory serves

Marshall is a fine basketball coach but he was also an arrogant ******* and JP wouldn't have been willing to put up with that with a big price tag I'm sure.

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
If Prohm leaves the same way McDermott did I am OK with that. Both guys are class act coaches who do things the right way but for some reason just did not succeed here. I wanted both to be guys who had long term success here but for 1 reason or another things just did now work out.
Was it a mistake to get rid of McDermott. If he had stayed and his son had come to ISU, would we now be a national power? Did we do well by having him leave? What about Prohm?

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Was it a mistake to get rid of McDermott. If he had stayed and his son had come to ISU, would we now be a national power? Did we do well by having him leave? What about Prohm?
Before Greg left Iowa State, Doug was committed to UNI. He did this because he and Greg realistically new that Greg wouldn't be coaching there long, regardless, based off of his performance.

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
I don’t remember the names, but didn’t we hire a firm to give us the best coaches available and Prohm was one of if not the best. And the rest of the top 5 names were also named? I think they were all mostly “cheap” options.

Campbell was also the youngest P5 coach ever at the time, so he must have been doing something right to get the job.
Prohm, Bryce Drew and Brad Underwood. Drew was offered the job and turned it down. JP didn’t want Underwood because of his demeanor and his style wasn’t a fit with our roster so here we are.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Prohm, Bryce Drew and Brad Underwood. Drew was offered the job and turned it down. JP didn’t want Underwood because of his demeanor and his style wasn’t a fit with our roster so here we are.
didn’t know that Drew was offered the job. Looks like he’s currently at Grand Canyon University. Ouch.

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
didn’t know that Drew was offered the job. Looks like he’s currently at Grand Canyon University. Ouch.
Yeah kinda similar to Prohm as he got some good recruits at Vandy but couldn’t turn the corner and they were not patient with him. Couple 5 stars then Garland went out for the year and Drew went 0-18 in the sec and was out. Will winless in the big 12 do it for Steve?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Think it would have been fun to watch Drew coach against his brother. Could be a reason he declined it? Speculating obviously. Probably a wash between him and Prohm. Underwood would have been great, but yeah not sure how well he'd have handled the team. Going from laid back Fred to a guy who seems a lot more rigid like underwood would have been really tough for that team. McKay would have got kicked off the team for his antics that year with Prohm.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I imagine JP will try what he did in landing Matt Campbell. Find a mid major winning coach, good recruiter and fits the high quality character that JP considers a good fit at Iowa State. And, maybe we'll strike gold with that like we did with Campbell. That sounds like Steve Prohm though. He won at Murray State...and he is a high quality guy that would fit nicely at ISU if he could...you know...win games. So we also need someone who is a good GameDay coach also. JP needs someone's guidance with that I believe.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
think the only way ISU gets an established P5 coach is under similar circumstances as the ISU hiring of Johnny. A coach who has had extended success, but might be going through a down couple years and feeling job security pressures. Mark Turgeon would fit this description
Maryland just tied for the Big 10 championship last year, how is Turgeon under pressure?

Reactions: CyBobby

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I always chuckle a bit when people use Johnny Orr as an example of Iowa State hiring an established major college coach. The times were different when it came to coach's salaries.

Also Johnny was a Midwest guy. He grew up in Illinois, went to college at Beloit and coached 9 years at Dubuque Senior in the 1950's. Plus, he was starting to feel the pressure at Michigan. He was 3 years removed from a great Final Four team and his last 2 teams were under .500 in Big 10 play.

ISU isn't going to be the landing place for guys like Beilein or Sampson who have buzz around their prospects, who will have opportunities (if they want) for more money and better geographic fits. Penn State makes a lot of sense for Beilein. Also Notre Dame or Boston College if those jobs open up. Also is Boeheim going to call it quits after this year?

I think the only way ISU gets an established P5 coach is under similar circumstances as the ISU hiring of Johnny. A coach who has had extended success, but might be going through a down couple years and feeling job security pressures. Mark Turgeon would fit this description.

The other group are hopeful Coach K successors. I would be surprised if his successor hasn't already been determined. But Chris Collins, Bobby Hurley or Steve Wojciechowski are all having lukewarm success at their current schools. They may want to new challenge to improve their odds at becoming a future HC at Duke (if that is their dream job).

I think you are selling this job WAAY short. Iowa State is a much better brand than it was when Orr came here. We have great fan support and the Big 12 is an alluring conference for basketball play.

Are there better jobs out there? Sure. But bringing up Boston College, which has no basketball tradition or history, as a potential "better geographical fit" makes little sense. There may be other factors which could make that true (like being in a metropolitan area) but nothing on the immediate surface.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
His son has already committed to UNI. He wasn’t coming to Iowa State. And yes we did well by having him leave as it allowed us to hire arguably the best coach in Iowa State history that took us to 4 straight NCAA tournament appearances and left a top 10 team for his successor.
Having Prohm leave is allows us to start the log path to getting this program back to where it was in 2015.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cy$

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
Think it would have been fun to watch Drew coach against his brother. Could be a reason he declined it? Speculating obviously. Probably a wash between him and Prohm. Underwood would have been great, but yeah not sure how well he'd have handled the team. Going from laid back Fred to a guy who seems a lot more rigid like underwood would have been really tough for that team. McKay would have got kicked off the team for his antics that year with Prohm.
Yeah I believe the rumors are that Scott did discourage him from taking it to not be the guy who follows Fred.

Help Support Us

Become a patron