Ohio State vs Illinois Cancelled

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
BIG rules, If all teams average less than 6 games, a team that plays at least the average amount of games as the league is eligible for the conference Championship. They will then "shut down" the rest of the season so OSU will make it in.

• Sad
Reactions: 2020cy

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I can’t wait for the narratives of ‘big 10 programs on the rise’ when IU and NW play in their CCG. And ‘the big 12 is down this year’ because OK or TX aren’t playing in theirs. **** you Herbstreit.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Another reason why it was dumb not to expand the CFP to 8 teams even if it was just for this year. Every power 5 conference champ gets a seed with 3 at large. I guess if that happened that would mean Big 10 could still have 2 teams in the mix if OSU had to cancel another game but talent wise there is no doubt that the Buckeyes are still one of the best teams in the country. This is the situation we have now since the conferences didnt get onboard with a universal plan on how to play the season.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Assuming tOSU would win or would've won their games is bs and can't happen. I'd rather see two SEC teams and the two ACC Teams. That said, if Bama goes undefeated, I don't want to see the second SEC team in there.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Assuming tOSU would win or would've won their games is bs and can't happen. I'd rather see two SEC teams and the two ACC Teams. That said, if Bama goes undefeated, I don't want to see the second SEC team in there.

Which 2 ACC teams do you put in there though? Do you take the loser between Clemson and ND, or do they take a 1 loss Miami that doesn't make the CCG?

I guess if I were the committee is take the opportunity to put Cincinnati in.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Coach and several players tested positive which cancelled the game.

They are also very likely to cancel next week due to protocols making Ohio State ineligible for the B1G Championship

What will the playoff committee do?

They will change the criteria on the fly like they always do for the Big 10/SEC. 4-0 Ohio St. will get in over a 11-1 Notre Dame or Clemson.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
They will change the criteria on the fly like they always do for the Big 10/SEC. 4-0 Ohio St. will get in over a 11-1 Notre Dame or Clemson.

What happens if NW wins out? It's not like they've been blowing teams out and the rest of their schedule is Charmin soft. They'll have a win over Indiana just like tOSU. There's no way the committee puts tOSU in while leaving NW out. So does the Big10 get two teams? And how would that go over in Ohio to have tOSU get selected over Cincinnati? With all those minefields, I'm thinking it's just a lot easier to keep tOSU out because of games played rather than try to find a way to include them.

Or.....get some people into a room and add another round to the playoffs. It can still be done and the cancellation of games gives you plenty of cover to reverse course mid-season.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
A couple of thoughts:

1) Don't think the B1G front office isn't 'what-if'ing' scenarios and stands ready to cancel/reschedule games in anyway it can to get OSU qualified for the playoffs.

2) Iowa has to be salivating at the the thought that NW could win the B1G and make the playoffs. Hoks will never get to that level but if they can get the scenario setup where they can say they were really better than a playoff team (even though they lost to them), they would jump all over it.

• Haha
Reactions: qwerty

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If tOSU gets left out we'll likely have a two loss team in the playoff. It'll be some combo of ND, Clemson, Bama, A&M, FL or Georgia. If ND wins out, I'd expect to see them and 3 SEC teams.

Last edited:

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
So... if OSU doesn’t qualify for the championship game. Do they get bumped to the 2 seed in the east? Currently week 8 in the big is 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc... with teams from east playing their counterpart in the west.

Iowa is currently the 2 in the west. I would love to see this iowa team play OSU with them needing a statement game to prove something. Iowa isn’t that good. Their wins are over 4 teams with 4 combined wins (4-15). This game would be a curb stomp.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So... if OSU doesn’t qualify for the championship game. Do they get bumped to the 2 seed in the east? Currently week 8 in the big is 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc... with teams from east playing their counterpart in the west.

Iowa is currently the 2 in the west. I would love to see this iowa team play OSU with them needing a statement game to prove something. Iowa isn’t that good. Their wins are over 4 teams with 4 combined wins (4-15). This game would be a curb stomp.

I completely forgot about the full week schedule. That would be interesting to see how they handle tOSU. The conference certainly would like tOSU to get another big name win. So I'd assume the rules are setup however they need to be for tOSU to be playing Wisconsin that week. Maybe having red as a school color would factor in to the tiebreakers.

Iowa does still have Wisconsin on the schedule if they even play another game.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Wisconsin is #2 now