Smoking Turkey

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I smoked one for the first time last year. I used something someone on the forums told me to do last year and it turned out really good and now I can’t remember exactly all the details of what I did. Someone help me out. 1. Dry brine salt, pepper, brown sugar under skin 24 hours prior. 2. Put in foil pan Rub with butter and Coat with similar rub 3. Smoke in pan at 225 for 1 hour per LB or till 165 IT. 4. Periodically baste with butter. 5. Cover and let sit for 45 min before serving. Am I missing anything?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Just made my brine. Did the Alton Brown brine with vegetable broth. Wife got veggie stock instead of broth. I was worried about the salt content since the side of the stock said each service is 25% of recommended allowance. Added the kosher salt, brown sugar, allspice berries, and peppercorns (did want to spend $9.00 on a small bottle of candied ginger that I probably will only use once a year if ever). Letting it cool to room temp and will put in the fridge. I'll probably do a 16-18 hour brine on the turkey. Will mix butter along with some Weber Poultry Seasoning and put under the skin. Will stuff the cavity with yellow onions (sweeter than a white onion, celery, springs of rosemary and thyme.

Will rub the outside with butter and small amount of poultry seasoning. Looking at around 300 degree for smoker temp. Depending on what time the wife want to plan on eating I will be looking at around a 4 cook time.

CY22

Sep 14, 2008
IA
Someone posted this video in the Smoker thread. Malcom Reed knows his stuff.

This. I've used quite a few of his videos to start getting confident with smoking, so now I use them as a rough guide for new things I haven't tried yet. Going to use the video below for our turkey this year. Malcom has not failed me yet!

Reactions: cstrunk

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
So I looked at the packaging of the frozen bone in turkey breast I bought to smoke and it is in a 15% solution. I know some people say don't brine it if it is already in a solution. Was wondering if I made a brine with unsalted broth and added some sugar and herbs to it if it would be OK since I am leaving out the salt/sodium in the brine? Would just like to add a little more savory flavor to it before putting on the smoker. Bought some frozen fresh turkey legs that are not in a solution so plan to brine those prior to smoking.

Friend of mine that has smoked a few whole turkeys says he melts butter and generously injects his turkey with it before it goes on the smoker and it turns our really moist and flavorful. He suggested maybe I could grind up some herbs and melt into the butter then drain off the bits before injecting and that may add some flavor too. I bought unsalted butter too so trying to find ways to add some flavor pre-smoke without adding more sodium and salt to the meat in the process.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
So I looked at the packaging of the frozen bone in turkey breast I bought to smoke and it is in a 15% solution. I know some people say don't brine it if it is already in a solution. Was wondering if I made a brine with unsalted broth and added some sugar and herbs to it if it would be OK since I am leaving out the salt/sodium in the brine? Would just like to add a little more savory flavor to it before putting on the smoker. Bought some frozen fresh turkey legs that are not in a solution so plan to brine those prior to smoking.

Friend of mine that has smoked a few whole turkeys says he melts butter and generously injects his turkey with it before it goes on the smoker and it turns our really moist and flavorful. He suggested maybe I could grind up some herbs and melt into the butter then drain off the bits before injecting and that may add some flavor too. I bought unsalted butter too so trying to find ways to add some flavor pre-smoke without adding more sodium and salt to the meat in the process.
I'm not smoking a turkey but plan on injecting melted butter into the breast. Haven't made up my mind if I will add poultry seasoning to the butter or ranch dressing mix.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm not smoking a turkey but plan on injecting melted butter into the breast. Haven't made up my mind if I will add poultry seasoning to the butter or ranch dressing mix.

Ranch dressing mix sounds like a good addition and that will probably dissolve well in the butter too and not clog in the injection needle like some dry spices might.

If I wasn't so worried about possibly making things too spicy that my kids won't like it I would go with more Cajun style flavors with my injection and rub profile. I run into the same problem when I do ribs and pork butt or loin as I usually have to do 1 with more heat to my liking and 1 with more sweet flavors for my wife and kids.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Ranch dressing mix sounds like a good addition and that will probably dissolve well in the butter too and not clog in the injection needle like some dry spices might.

If I wasn't so worried about possibly making things too spicy that my kids won't like it I would go with more Cajun style flavors with my injection and rub profile. I run into the same problem when I do ribs and pork butt or loin as I usually have to do 1 with more heat to my liking and 1 with more sweet flavors for my wife and kids.
I've mixed ranch dressing mix with softened butter before and then just pushed it underneath the skin of a turkey. That's why I started considering injecting a mixture of it and melted butter.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
24 hour brine is too long. I think 8-10 hours is optimal

Olive oil butter and light seasoning is the plan for the smoker tomorrow

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Screenshot_20201125-230102_Photos.jpg

This 14 lb turkey today took 3 hours at 300F on my Traeger Junior. Turned it up to 350F for the last 20 mins or so (at 155F breast temp). Probably will turn the heat up a bit earlier tomorrow to try to crisp up the skin just a bit more. But this one turned out pretty delicious. I injected with a brine when I seasoned the bird just before it went on. I basted the skin with melted butter with herbs twice during the cook.

Tomorrow's bird is 21 lb so it'll be interesting trying to squeeze it on there.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I am not a pro. Been grilling/smoking for over 45 years. I have grilled and placed at the state fair competitions last century. Just love the art of outdoor cooking. If you make something that tastes the same every time you are not trying to improve your skills. Failure (or at least not as good as you thought it should be) is the key to unlocking new ideas in outdoor cooking. I understand when sharing your meals with family and friends going back to a tried and true grilling/smoking technique that produces a predictable product.
My opinion, whole birds need to be cooked at a higher temp for a shorter amount of time. Getting thin blue smoke to penetrate in 3-4 hours in a bird is really a hard feat to accomplish, every time you try it. I like my thanksgiving bird brined in salt and brown sugar, in the oven or grill at 350 degrees. to 155 degrees and rest.
One Idea I have is an amazen tube or tray lit from both ends, would it create twice as much thin blue smoke? Or does twice as much blue smoke equal thick smokey smoke that stinks? I have an amazen tube and tray if you are anal about getting the things lit correctly the contraptions really work well. MES, gas grill and weber kettle is what I use it in.
Another idea would be to use a cure, cold smoke then cook. I am afraid the Turkey might taste like ham a bit with the cure. That is essentially how I make Turkey legs.
Happy Thanksgiving -BEAT TEXAS

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Turned out pretty damn amazing for just winging it honestly.. 5lbs bird 4 1/2 hrs in the smoker at 275 using apple wood.. started to brine it Tuesday night. injected it with a mix I made up on the spot then threw some cayenne pepper and brown sugar on it yesterday for a rub. pulled the thermometer out and juice just squirted out.
20201126_150012.jpg Snapchat-298977095.jpg

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Just put what will probably be my final basting of melted butter on my 5lb bone in breast that is about 150ish right now so getting closer. rotated it as 1 side has more bark than the other right now since it was closer to my sidebox. Couple large turkey legs on it too.

I kind of winged it with my brine last night using some ideas from various recipes I looked at but it smelled awesome when I removed it from the brine today. Going for a savory/herby flavor and just from the aroma I am getting when I check on it I think I probably did a good job with the brine and rub ingredients I used as it smells like I hope it is going to taste like. Also injected some melted butter with some garlic powder in it too.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Just put what will probably be my final basting of melted butter on my 5lb bone in breast that is about 150ish right now so getting closer. rotated it as 1 side has more bark than the other right now since it was closer to my sidebox. Couple large turkey legs on it too.

I kind of winged it with my brine last night using some ideas from various recipes I looked at but it smelled awesome when I removed it from the brine today. Going for a savory/herby flavor and just from the aroma I am getting when I check on it I think I probably did a good job with the brine and rub ingredients I used as it smells like I hope it is going to taste like. Also injected some melted butter with some garlic powder in it too.
update when the bird is finished... lol

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Kudos to all of you smoking a turkey. That sounds like a lot of work. I'm exhausted from just roasting our breast in the oven and all the sides.

If I step out and give it a try next year, what do you do for gravy?

Reactions: keepngoal

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
This. I've used quite a few of his videos to start getting confident with smoking, so now I use them as a rough guide for new things I haven't tried yet. Going to use the video below for our turkey this year. Malcom has not failed me yet!

I did this one today on a Green Mountain. It was good. Very juicy. The skin didn't crisp up like it was supposed to but good anyway. Beat Texa$.

• Winner
Reactions: CY22 and motorcy90