Lowe's vs. Home Depot

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I've been told there is a basically a 10 year lifespan on EVERY appliance that goes in a home now regardless of price. Don't know if it's true, but I've been in my house for 8 years and we got new everything and it's generally my experience, stuff is already starting to wear out.

I've heard this well but wonder how true it really is. I think for some things it's kind of like a cell phone where people would rather just buy new and get all the new features instead of fixing it. We've lived in our house, which was new in 2005, for 15 years now and we haven't had to replace anything. We have the most generic Whirlpool washer and dryer you could buy in 2005 and have zero problems. Last week we decided to buy an LG washer (top load) and dryer just to be cautious. Next year we'll probably replace our water heater even though it has run fine for 15 years and I'm sure the AC/Furnace will also be replaced soon even though we've had no issues.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I've heard this well but wonder how true it really is. I think for some things it's kind of like a cell phone where people would rather just buy new and get all the new features instead of fixing it. We've lived in our house, which was new in 2005, for 15 years now and we haven't had to replace anything. We have the most generic Whirlpool washer and dryer you could buy in 2005 and have zero problems. Last week we decided to buy an LG washer (top load) and dryer just to be cautious. Next year we'll probably replace our water heater even though it has run fine for 15 years and I'm sure the AC/Furnace will also be replaced soon even though we've had no issues.

We bought a new washer/dryer just a few weeks ago because the motor for the agitator was dunzo. My dishwasher has some issues and the heated dry thing doesn't work anymore. There are just a lot of little things. That said I went sort of on the cheap (not the cheapest stuff, but the cheap-er side) but we're talking 8 years in. Granted we have 3 kids and a dog and I'm running the dishwasher every day and the washer/dryer honestly multiple times a day most days, so they are probably getting double to triple use of some households but still.

All of that said, fixing appliances is so expensive with the labor/parts for this stuff most of the time it just isn't worth it. Do I want to spend probably 250.00 minimum to fix an 8 year old dishwasher or just buy a new 400.00 one? I'm probably going to swallow the extra 150.00 just to avoid getting nickle and dimed.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
All of that said, fixing appliances is so expensive with the labor/parts for this stuff most of the time it just isn't worth it. Do I want to spend probably 250.00 minimum to fix an 8 year old dishwasher or just buy a new 400.00 one? I'm probably going to swallow the extra 150.00 just to avoid getting nickle and dimed.

I think this is the key.

Reactions: tnacin

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Menards seems to have the lowest level of staffing of the big 3. I used to avoid Menards for that reason. However, as I got more competent in DIY projects, I tended for Menards more because I knew what I was doing and what I needed. I've had some really bad experiences asking for help from HD or Lowes staff. I can find the location of what I'm looking for on the ap, and most of those folks have little to no construction experience, so they have no clue what they're talking about. Example; I once asked a Lowe's employee if I should get a 4-1/4" or 4-1/8" hole saw for my particular project. His answer was "which is bigger, 1/4" or 1/8"?". I just said "nevermind" and walked away.
Just ask for Bobbi when you go to HD. Bobbi is a trans female but man she really knows her stuff and was enormous help to me when I decided to cut a hole in my kitchen wall and install a huge window. Best thing I've ever done to my house.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Side note to this, appliances like a dishwasher or fridge are one thing because it’s basically a water hookup and plugging it in but don’t let HD or any of the big box stores install anything major in your house. I’m talking stuff like cabinets, countertops, flooring, etc. They sub the work out to crews that can’t get enough business for themselves, which is reaaallly hard to do in today’s climate. They are bottom of the barrel contractors.
The rebates have actually turned me away from Menards. Rebates are nothing more than a gimmick and I honestly lost a lot of respect for Menards when they decided to go all in on them vs actually running sales. They've used rebates for years but for individual items but I really don't like the "blank % on all purchases" gimmick. As a consumer I want money back in my pocket today and not store credit 6-8 weeks from now.

Yeah, I can see that. COVID has made it worse. I’ve got a couple hundred dollars in rebates that are taking 10+ weeks to process due to the huge volume. So that’s less than ideal.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
If you have a Sherwin Williams near you, give their paint a try. It is totally different than others from the big box store. Also, from my experience, the people that work in the stores are trained very well. Very knowledgeable.
Yeah I'll second this. We used to only buy Behr and tried some Sherwin Williams the last time we painted. We will never buy paint from anywhere else again. that Sherwin Williams stuff covered way better than the Behr.

Reactions: Yaz

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
One thing that might sway some of your opinions towards Home Depot is the fact that they match the Menards 11% rebate on in store purchases. You just need to have both a Menards and Home Depot in your area, which covers most of the midwest. It's also a much better rebate process than Menards, you do it online, nothing to mail in, and you get a gift card after only about a month. https://www.homedepotrebates11percent.com/#/home

this is a game changer

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY and wxman1

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
One thing that might sway some of your opinions towards Home Depot is the fact that they match the Menards 11% rebate on in store purchases. You just need to have both a Menards and Home Depot in your area, which covers most of the midwest. It's also a much better rebate process than Menards, you do it online, nothing to mail in, and you get a gift card after only about a month. https://www.homedepotrebates11percent.com/#/home

Does this apply to the name brand tools?

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Home Depot, Ryobi tools are great for the price for anyone who doesn't beat the crap out of power tools.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I think this is the key.

The flip side of this is that between instructions on YouTube and cheap parts from Amazon, I’ve done washer, dryer, and dishwasher repairs that, 20 years ago, would have been replaced.

Reactions: wxman1

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I like that i can look at the lowes app and find out if they have what I need before going. I was looking for fence pickets a few weeks back and was able to look up which stores had what in stock. I hate home depot anymore, it is expensive and they never have what I need.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Home Depot, Ryobi tools are great for the price for anyone who doesn't beat the crap out of power tools.

I generally agree with this, except for the table saw. I have the miter saw, table saw, recip saw, impact driver, and many others. All are generally good, but the table saw is not good for anything requiring accuracy.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I've been told there is a basically a 10 year lifespan on EVERY appliance that goes in a home now regardless of price. Don't know if it's true, but I've been in my house for 8 years and we got new everything and it's generally my experience, stuff is already starting to wear out.

The worst thing I have ever bought is a Maytag dishwasher. The control panel on it has broken 3 times, the wheels fall off the bottom rack and the latch assembly broke. It is probably 5 years old.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I'll throw in another plug for Sherwin Williams. Just painted my place top to bottom and it was by far the best coverage with a single coat that I've ever gotten. Won't ever buy anything else again.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

I got a great deal from HD online for a Milwaukee 1/4 inch driver. $99 for the driver (20 volt) bag and charger. Really impressed with the power and speed of the tool. Has a really good light on it too, which helps way more than you think it would. It was on sale, but almost everyone was $150 for the same one.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

It has more to do with the electronics/motherboards in all of the appliances vs the actual moving components.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I like that i can look at the lowes app and find out if they have what I need before going. I was looking for fence pickets a few weeks back and was able to look up which stores had what in stock. I hate home depot anymore, it is expensive and they never have what I need.

The Menards app is absolute garbage.

• Agree
Reactions: kmcbrid

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yeah, I can see that. COVID has made it worse. I’ve got a couple hundred dollars in rebates that are taking 10+ weeks to process due to the huge volume. So that’s less than ideal.

I filed two late spring and never received them. Between the two rebates it ended up being just over $30 that I never got back. I've filled out tons of them so I know that it was done correctly and I always double check.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Home Depot has a similar app and I find it helpful. The Home Depot out near 141 on 80/35 has a ton of product and carry decent inventory. Ankeny is closer, but I use all 3 in the Des Moines area.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I filed two late spring and never received them. Between the two rebates it ended up being just over $30 that I never got back. I've filled out tons of them so I know that it was done correctly and I always double check.

It's possible they were stolen in the mail. My wife submitted a rebate for some medication our dog takes. After waiting a while, she called the company that made the medication and was told the rebate shipped several weeks prior to her call. We assumed, and probably did, get stolen from the mail.