Lowe's vs. Home Depot

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I really like Kobalt stuff.

And our local Lowe’s was much better than the 1 Home Depot I’ve been to.

Reactions: Angie

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I always viewed Menards as a place that where contractors go for supplies. Home Depot and Lowe’s I viewed as more of a DIY place.
Personally, the stuff Menards has by far and away more than HD and Lowe’s. If you need supplies, go to a Menards.

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
Menards is my fave..Lowes is most convenient.

When we lived in TX I went to our Home Depot and told them I needed a mower. Ended up buying a Craftsman lawn tractor. Had never bought that brand and told them I was unsure of it. They assured me was no problem if I didn't like it to bring it back and exchange. Tried it on our lawn, it sucked, took back next day. Guy said, "are you effing kidding me?", and made no attempt to disguise being pissed at me as he made numerous additional comments. So, they are dead to me lol.

Reactions: wxman1

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
As others have said, Menards tools selection suck. But their in stock selection of all their supplies ( plumbing, siding, roofing, landscape, etc.) is where it’s at.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Harbor Freight is the use it and lose it syndrome. Low price for a reason. They do have some good products. Lowe’s appliances prices are better. Layout is better.
Home Depot is a leg up on most.
I go to a lumber yard for lumber

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If you want tools, mills fleet farm will have a great selection (not quality, but a large selection of cheaper stuff but not harbor freight cheap). Bomgaars will carry some commercial grade along with some cheap stuff. Their selection varies on the store size. The bigger the store the better the selection.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Harbor Freight is the use it and lose it syndrome. Low price for a reason. They do have some good products. Lowe’s appliances prices are better. Layout is better.
Home Depot is a leg up on most.
I go to a lumber yard for lumber

Lowe's is a great place to buy scratch and dent appliances. I got a nice Samsung washing machine for $400 this year after the old Kenmore ate it's bearing/drum assembly for the second time in 12 years. The parts to fix the Sears were $200, plus 2- 3 hours of work, so that was an easy decision.

Reactions: Angie

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Menards for most everything. Lowes seems really crowded and claustrophobic to me. I can't say I've ever been in a Home Depot before.

I've never had a problem with Menards tools. I bought a nail gun and miter saw a few years back, maybe used twice each, and then hand tools which last forever if you don't lose them.

i used my masterforce drill almost every week and never had a problem with that.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Lowe's is a great place to buy scratch and dent appliances. I got a nice Samsung washing machine for $400 this year after the old Kenmore ate it's bearing/drum assembly for the second time in 12 years. The parts to fix the Sears were $200, plus 2- 3 hours of work, so that was an easy decision.

The best place to buy appliances like that is the Restore if you have one around. There are two of them in Des Moines. Full warranty, a lot of them new and no sales tax because they’re a non profit. We got a 2500 dollar Whirlpool fridge (linked below) for 1200 bucks. It still had everything taped/packed up inside the unit because it was new. It had a small dent on the side but that’s the only defect we could find.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I don’t have a strong opinion either way, but I do like the layout of Lowe’s better.

OT: I always think it would be fun to work at some hardware store part-time after I retire. I just want to help guys spend money on tools, machines, and lumber.

Reactions: Angie and AgronAlum

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Menards for most everything. Lowes seems really crowded and claustrophobic to me. I can't say I've ever been in a Home Depot before.

I've never had a problem with Menards tools. I bought a nail gun and miter saw a few years back, maybe used twice each, and then hand tools which last forever if you don't lose them.

i used my masterforce drill almost every week and never had a problem with that.

Menards has some ok tools for infrequent use but most are not good for regular use. I have three different bostich nail guns, a Metabo nail gun and a bunch of hitachi stuff from there for my bigger stuff. The hitachi tools are getting phased out for better stuff. I had a Hitachi chop saw for awhile but it physically couldn’t be set truly straight so I replaced it with a Dewalt slider. My orbital sander **** out after not much use. I’ve broken plenty of hand tools from there before I started buying better stuff.

If you regularly used a better brand like Milwaukee, Dewalt or Makita for the drill/impact, it’s reaaallllly easy to see the difference.

Reactions: DollaDollaBill

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I don’t have a strong opinion either way, but I do like the layout of Lowe’s better.

OT: I always think it would be fun to work at some hardware store part-time after I retire. I just want to help guys spend money on tools, machines, and lumber.

This is my retirement plan.

Reactions: cyclonedave25

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

That would be similar to a strip joint too. Spending money on tools and lumber. Machines, not as common probably. Been many year since I’ve been to one so I could be wrong.

Reactions: cyclonedave25

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Menards has some ok tools for infrequent use but most are not good for regular use. I have three different bostich nail guns, a Metabo nail gun and a bunch of hitachi stuff from there for my bigger stuff. The hitachi tools are getting phased out for better stuff. I had a Hitachi chop saw for awhile but it physically couldn’t be set truly straight so I replaced it with a Dewalt slider. My orbital sander **** out after not much use. I’ve broken plenty of hand tools from there before I started buying better stuff.

If you regularly used a better brand like Milwaukee, Dewalt or Makita for the drill/impact, it’s reaaallllly easy to see the difference.

With Hitachi you have to check the ratings. They aren’t like Dewalt where you know their black and decker products are their lighter weight versions. My hitachis actually say John Deere on them. They have smoked any Milwaukee or dewalt tools that I’ve ever used. They are commercial grade though. The menards hitachi are their crap stuff, the black and deckers of hitachi.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Id probably go HD>Lowes>Menards.

Menards just seems disorganized and lower quality. I'll go there if the exact same item is for sale for cheaper, but if not i'll go to HD

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
With Hitachi you have to check the ratings. They aren’t like Dewalt where you know their black and decker products are their lighter weight versions. My hitachis actually say John Deere on them. They have smoked any Milwaukee or dewalt tools that I’ve ever used. They are commercial grade though. The menards hitachi are their crap stuff, the black and deckers of hitachi.

The only Hitachi stuff that I have left are my Skill saw and my router. Both have worked great. I have a Metabo (rebranded hitachi) 23g pin nailer that has seemed to work ok.

Even throughout my years working at seed plants and in ag, I had no idea John Deere actually branded tools. Never seen any hanging in anyone’s shop or servicing any of our equipment.