Merged Covid Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Overall hospitalizations are at their lowest level since March 21st.
View attachment 77037

COVID-NET hospitalization data are preliminary and subject to change as more data become available. In particular, case counts and rates for recent hospital admissions are subject to delay. As data are received each week, prior case counts and rates are updated accordingly.

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Reactions: CloneLawman

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
All good points. I think something worth adding is the discussion around what the future looks like once it’s rolled out in 6-8 months. Below is a paraphrasing of what I’ve heard experts talks about.

Assume the vaccine is 50% effective (current belief off limited data, but could be up to 70%). If only 50% of the US gets it (currently under that in polls), that means 25% effective herd immunity via immunization. In order to get to a combination (aka effective) herd immunity from natural + unnatural methods, you’d need roughly 35-45% of the population infected by then.

Point is, social distancing and masks are probably here for at least a year if not longer to get immunity built up, vaccines deployed, public convinced they’re safe, etc.

Add in that you don’t know if the vaccines was effective on somebody until they do or don’t get sick at some point.

That’s why therapeutics, rapid testing, etc are still critical to develop and deploy.

Is there a link to this 50% vaccine effectiveness expectation? I have seen this thrown out on the board several times but never sourced. The only reference I have seen to 50% is that 50% is the minimum requirement for approval but most experts seemed to think it would perform better.

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Is there a link to this 50% vaccine effectiveness expectation? I have seen this thrown out on the board several times but never sourced. The only reference I have seen to 50% is that 50% is the minimum requirement for approval but most experts seemed to think it would perform better.

Yeah that's what I've seen as well.

And does 50% effective mean 50% for the individual, or only helps 50% of the population that gets it?

kcbob79clone

This is interesting, in a story posted on Reuters (and multiple sources) that a UK major hospital has been told to prepare for the vaccine next week. I'm not aware of any vaccine approval. Maybe this is one of the 6 vaccines approved for early or limited use.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
This is interesting, in a story posted on Reuters (and multiple sources) that a UK major hospital has been told to prepare for the vaccine next week. I'm not aware of any vaccine approval. Maybe this is one of the 6 vaccines approved for early or limited use.

Are all sources from the Sun?

kcbob79clone

Do Mask Matter in Kansas?

Not going to bury the lead, yes they do

Researchers at the University of Kansas in Topeka reported in a 6-minute video on October 26, 2020, that counties with mask mandates thwarted significant escalation in the transmission of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, and Kansas counties operating without a face covering requirement reported steady infection rate increases.

Reactions: Angie

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006

Researchers at the University of Kansas in Topeka reported in a 6-minute video on October 26, 2020, that counties with mask mandates thwarted significant escalation in the transmission of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, and Kansas counties operating without a face covering requirement reported steady infection rate increases.

Wait for it.....

kcbob79clone

Our old friend, T-Cells, get a mention in this article. " A small number of people may not produce any antibodies to the coronavirus. But even in that unlikely event, they will have so-called cellular immunity, which includes T cells that learn to identify and destroy the virus. Virtually everyone infected with the coronavirus seems to develop T-cell responses, according to several recent studies."

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Please explain Europe. They've gone full mask requirements, way more than Kansas, and are having just as big or bigger surge.

You guys/gals seem to love this one so I'll use it as well. Correlation is not causation. The exact same results could simply show the virus burned through the population centers first. Plus they add some rather random variables and the 21 day offset, how many other offsets did they try and why pick that one?

Last edited:

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA

Part of this is good news and part of this is disappointing. The good news is that mask mandates helped reduce surges of infections. The bad news is that even with mask mandates , there are still increases in infection rates. I think it goes to show that we can not mask our way out of this. It needs to be a comprehensive approach (mask, social distancing, hand washing, isolating if symptomatic) to reducing spread.

Status
Not open for further replies.